BANGKOK
jko

How to recover data from old reel to reel tape recorder??

I just found an old reel tape with a recording I made decades ago.
It might be damaged but if not, does anyone know a shop in CNX who could transfer it to a thumb drive?
Thanks for any leads!

https://www.bing.com/search?q=recover+data+from+reel+to+reel+tape&qs=n&form=QBRE&sp=-1&pq=recover+data+from+reel+to+reel+tape&sc=1-35&sk=&cvid=8AD728D9555049CA99B9E80120E4C9AA

Alternatively, a layman could project the tape on a screen, then film it with a good camera phone. Subsequently, one could process the recording with a video enhancing program.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 4

23 minutes ago, MisterBleach said:

Obviously, a vinyl record store will be of no use.

Why so? 

Have you been there before and talked to them?

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=recover+data+from+reel+to+reel+tape&qs=n&form=QBRE&sp=-1&pq=recover+data+from+reel+to+reel+tape&sc=1-35&sk=&cvid=8AD728D9555049CA99B9E80120E4C9AA

Alternatively, a layman could project the tape on a screen, then film it with a good camera phone. Subsequently, one could process the recording with a video enhancing program.

Might only be a sound recording.  Like the old tape recorders for recording lectures.

He didn't mention "video" recording. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JRinPDX said:

If you can find someone with a deck, there's a handy tool, not expensive and about the size of a pack of cigarettes.  Behringer U-Control  UCA202.   It has the red and white jacks for audio, also a USB output.  Then use Audacity (free program) to capture to your PC or laptop.    I'm doing it right now and it's dead-easy. I just found some audio tapes  of my kids when they were little... heard my grandmother's voice for the first time in decades. 🙂   

Thanks for the info'.

Cheers.

14 hours ago, Catoni said:

Might only be a sound recording.  Like the old tape recorders for recording lectures.

He didn't mention "video" recording. 

Good point.

Cheers.

You might have to do what's called 'bake the tape', which is a process used on old magnetic tape reels that have say around for years, without being rewound.

You can look it up, it's not difficult, but it needs to be done correctly. It involves an oven.

After that, it's a process of finding someone who has a compatible reel to reel player, and some simple audio gear.

• Like 1

I just noticed you're looking for a place in Chiang Mai.  Sorry, the shop I mentioned above, A2J, is in Bangkok.

There are several companies around the world that will digitally archive, just about any type of tape, reel to reel, cassette, Betamax (yes I had one), VHS, 8 MM film , etc.  One is called Legacy box.  You can search and find a few others.  Some may be based in your home country and you may be more comfortable sending your tape to them.

Edited by gk10002000