Strict measures on using three toxic pesticides take effect on Oct 20

webfact

Strict measures on using three toxic pesticides take effect on Oct 20

By The Nation

800_daa1e3dd714aedb.jpeg?v=1571034793

A number of ministers and high-ranking officials have vowed to keep pushing for a ban on three toxic pesticides – Paraquat, Glyphosate and Chlorpyrifos – which are widely used in agriculture.

Strict measures on using the three pesticides will take effect on October 20. The measures, announced on April 5, have brought cheers from consumers and NGOs but protests from some farmers, who claimed they still needed to use such pesticides.

When the new law comes into effect, farmers must provide certification to sellers or shops that they have been trained on how to properly use the pesticides, what type of crop the chemicals will be used on, and how big the area – all to calculate the suitable amount of the chemicals to be purchased.

The person spraying the pesticides must also have a licence, while shops will be required to sell to registered and tested farmers only. Manufacturers, importers and exporters must inform officials about production, import or export processes, and the purpose of possession – for sale to the distributor or contractor who undertakes the spraying.

Agriculture Agency director-general Sermsuk Salakphet said farmers who still needed to use the three pesticides could apply for the training course with the government agency at any time.

Meanwhile, Agribusiness Association of Thai People president Weerawut Katanyukul said that in 2018, the country imported 170,000 tonnes of agricultural substances worth Bt3.62 billion – a decrease from 2017 imports of 198,000 tonnes.

“If there is a ban, it’s the farmers who will be at a disadvantage, while the entrepreneurs can always sell other substances instead,” Weerawut said.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30377387

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-10-14

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, webfact said:

Strict measures on using the three pesticides will take effect on October 20.

Strict measures???  Surely they've got to be joking.

The joker card is any such Thai regulatory system is enforcement, which almost surely will be non-existent.

Hence, everyone will go about their business pretty much as normal, PR articles notwithstanding.

49 minutes ago, ICELANDMAN said:

Strict measures on using the three pesticides will take effect on October 20.  The measures, announced on April 5, have brought cheers from consumers and NGO..... really or is only me think is a mockery ?

They announced a complete ban and after some brown envelope meeting it morphed into "strict" measures. 

14 hours ago, DLock said:

...well, I guess that didn't go as planned.

Now let's see if your are a man of your word...

The banning of these chemicals hasn't been voted on just yet....these measures were already announced. Anyway, there's no way this guy would resign of there is no ban....like most public servants here, he would not be a man of his word!

Soo.. the price of the chemical will go up. The price of the farmers products will go up as well.

The use of the chemicals will not go down.

So in the end all this means is that the consumers will get the same banned chemicals to eat but now have to pay for this added buearocracy.

Am I pessimistic or just realistic?

12 hours ago, ICELANDMAN said:

Strict measures on using the three pesticides will take effect on October 20.  The measures, announced on April 5, have brought cheers from consumers and NGO..... really or is only me think is a mockery ?

I can assure you, not only you thinks it is a mockery.

They did this in Quebec Canada. All chemicals pesticides are banned for consumer use. Exception is golf course and farmers. I got the certification needed with my horticulture degree. I will never use these chemicals and refused a job because of this. During an internship I learned that they were looking for someone to replace the last guy that sprayed pesticide because he was dying of cancer. 

There is plenty of alternative that are safer. Chemicals pesticides are dangerous even with protection and are counter-productive in the long run. I've seen how they use it in Thailand and they don't use any protection and they think that more is better. When they are done they throw the empty containers around the fields. 

On July 5th. I posted " 

We live in a rural area and the wifey has just been to a village meeting .

She has come back and said that anybody who wants to buy and or use weed killer has to have a license.

We use a bit of grass killer around the house basically to stop encroachment , but the village has been told any body who wants to buy weed/grass killer has to go on a course to learn how to handle it when you buy it. 

After you have your " license " to buy it , she needs to go on a 3 hour course on how to use / apply it . 

Nobody from the end of this month can buy or use weed killer without a " license " .

Penalty 6,000 baht.

Apparently this is a nationwide directive ".

Apparently there was 92 million baht set aside for these courses nationwide .

3 months have past , and it appears it has died a death . 

They should get their nomenclature right. Paraquat and Glyphosate (Round-Up) are Herbicides, not Pesticides. They kill plants, not bugs (pests). The third; Chlorpyrifos is a Pesticide.

Round-Up has revolutionized agricultural practices world wide, allowing zero till, high yield canola and other crops. The benefits to the soil from zero till are incalculable. Without the use of Round-Up, world wide yields will drop hugely and food prices will rise correspondingly.

What a sham. Instead of banning the three pesticides they're going to strictly regulate them. Last week there was an article saying any rural Thai farmer can/was going into farm supply shops and purchsing the already regulated three pesticides without any of the required clearances. Now they're going to strictly regulate them starting Oct. 20. Yeah, right. There are no loopholes to be exploited with a ban, unlike regulating.

57 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

They did this in Quebec Canada. All chemicals pesticides are banned for consumer use. Exception is golf course and farmers. I got the certification needed with my horticulture degree. I will never use these chemicals and refused a job because of this. During an internship I learned that they were looking for someone to replace the last guy that sprayed pesticide because he was dying of cancer. 

There is plenty of alternative that are safer. Chemicals pesticides are dangerous even with protection and are counter-productive in the long run. I've seen how they use it in Thailand and they don't use any protection and they think that more is better. When they are done they throw the empty containers around the fields. 

You have a Horticulture degree and you don't know the difference between a pesticide, a herbicide and a fungicide?

as usual all the know it all , sit in a bar and comment on news that you know nothing about  ffff wits have an opinion, well if you were living out on the land IN THAILAND, you would now know that you have to have done a course and have a card to buy the poisons, it is a great move, the government should be applauded for there efforts, not ridiculed as you lot do on this post insesesly, of course there will be a black market, same as in australia when they done the same, but at least the government is on the right track, so give credit where it is due!

17 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Also the big chemical companies,so really its business as usual.

regards Worgeordie

Most of these chemicals are already banned worldwide, have been banned... nobody is going to miss them, the petrochem companies moved their business models on a long time ago 

9 minutes ago, toolpush said:

You have a Horticulture degree and you don't know the difference between a pesticide, a herbicide and a fungicide?

I know very well the difference. 

Pesticides are substances that are meant to control pests, including weeds.[1] The term pesticide includes all of the following: herbicide, insecticides (which may include insect growth regulators, termiticides, etc.) nematicide, molluscicide, piscicide, avicide, rodenticide, bactericide, insect repellent, animal repellent, antimicrobial, and fungicide.[2] The most common of these are herbicides which account for approximately 80% of all pesticide use.[3] Most pesticides are intended to serve as plant protection products (also known as crop protection products), which in general, protect plants from weeds, fungi, or insects.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pesticide

BTW I do no till without glyphosate. 

1 hour ago, NE1 said:

On July 5th. I posted " 

We live in a rural area and the wifey has just been to a village meeting .

She has come back and said that anybody who wants to buy and or use weed killer has to have a license.

We use a bit of grass killer around the house basically to stop encroachment , but the village has been told any body who wants to buy weed/grass killer has to go on a course to learn how to handle it when you buy it. 

After you have your " license " to buy it , she needs to go on a 3 hour course on how to use / apply it . 

Nobody from the end of this month can buy or use weed killer without a " license " .

Penalty 6,000 baht.

Apparently this is a nationwide directive ".

Apparently there was 92 million baht set aside for these courses nationwide .

3 months have past , and it appears it has died a death . 

I have seen this before and I can tell you that the there will be loopholes for exploitation and corruption. The registration of chemicals by the Industry Ministry has the same policy requiring companies to pass their safety and handling test. The test is very technical and required some comprehensive knowledge on chemistry, medicine and first aid. It is a difficult test and small companies can't afford to hire staffs just for passing the tests. Up pop companies that operate to serve this need and somehow they have the 'expertise' to get the certification. They charge a upfront fee and monthly fee to 'represent' you. In short, you will find real soon that someone has the license to buy for you. You just pay for the service. 

45 minutes ago, toolpush said:

They should get their nomenclature right. Paraquat and Glyphosate (Round-Up) are Herbicides, not Pesticides. They kill plants, not bugs (pests). The third; Chlorpyrifos is a Pesticide.

Round-Up has revolutionized agricultural practices world wide, allowing zero till, high yield canola and other crops. The benefits to the soil from zero till are incalculable. Without the use of Round-Up, world wide yields will drop hugely and food prices will rise correspondingly.

Couldnt agree more !!

Archived