BANGKOK
webfact

Strict measures on using three toxic pesticides take effect on Oct 20

What a shame. This means nothing. Money rules again in Thailand. Thankfully I have the resources to buy imported vegetables. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Its so easy just charge 500% tax on production, importing and use of Paraquat, Glyphosate and Chlorpyrifos, when too expensive, farmers will not use them anymore !

Perfect!  All with no enforcement~the same as everything else

22 hours ago, webfact said:

“If there is a ban, it’s the farmers who will be at a disadvantage, while the entrepreneurs can always sell other substances instead,” Weerawut said.

What a dumb assed statement!

1.) If they are selling alternative substitutes then the farmers can still buy!

2.) New Zealand & Australia enjoy tremendous sales of food in China because of their CLEAN product. And enjoy a commensurately higher $ return for doing so. AKA valued added marketing!

The current suppliers of pesticides in Thailand ONLY have a concern for the money they may lose! Greedy self-entitled grubs!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Someone please explain to me how this is any change. It sounds like we continue to consume the deadly, harmful pesticides with our food

As long as I see motorbike drivers without helmets I wouldn't believe any strict measures bull *****

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Like the strict enforcement of traffic laws - every Songkran big pronouncement of a nationwide systematic clampdown on traffic violations-this will come to naught :Let the killings continue, on roads and through chemical poisoning. 

On 10/14/2019 at 4:52 PM, DLock said:

...well, I guess that didn't go as planned.

Now let's see if your are a man of your word...

.... if you don't mean it - don't <deleted> say it ... 😡

• Like 1

I dont want to use these herbicides but the problem is that the alternatives are either not available or extremely expensive. Lets take glyfosinate ammonium which is supposed to be the new alternative to paraquat. It cost B 350 per liter. You apply 1 liter per rai vs paraquat that is applied at 500 ml per rai. At a price of B 600 per 5 liter, 1 rai cost you B 60. Thus B 60 vd B 350. Will the consumer carry this cost or must the farmers narrow their small high risk margins further. As for Roundup the natural alternative would be Basta but the problem is it is not available in our province nor adjacent provinces. Many alternative chemicals are not registered here and we are going to see a disaster if they fully implement this regulations. They are going about it the wrong way. They should first identify safer alternatives, register those products, train farmers in their use, make the alternatives available in the market at reasonable prices and then implement a 100% ban on the 2 herbicides. As for the pesticide there are many alternatives available and it can be banned asap.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tayaout said:

They did this in Quebec Canada. All chemicals pesticides are banned for consumer use. Exception is golf course and farmers. I got the certification needed with my horticulture degree. I will never use these chemicals and refused a job because of this. During an internship I learned that they were looking for someone to replace the last guy that sprayed pesticide because he was dying of cancer. 

There is plenty of alternative that are safer. Chemicals pesticides are dangerous even with protection and are counter-productive in the long run. I've seen how they use it in Thailand and they don't use any protection and they think that more is better. When they are done they throw the empty containers around the fields. 

Ask for the money back you paid for your degree. Glysophate and paraquat are not pesticides.

Edited by emptypockets
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Tayaout said:

I know very well the difference. 

Pesticides are substances that are meant to control pests, including weeds.[1] The term pesticide includes all of the following: herbicide, insecticides (which may include insect growth regulators, termiticides, etc.) nematicide, molluscicide, piscicide, avicide, rodenticide, bactericide, insect repellent, animal repellent, antimicrobial, and fungicide.[2] The most common of these are herbicides which account for approximately 80% of all pesticide use.[3] Most pesticides are intended to serve as plant protection products (also known as crop protection products), which in general, protect plants from weeds, fungi, or insects.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pesticide

BTW I do no till without glyphosate. 

Which just goes to show that people who rely on opinion,i.e. Wikipedia, cannot think for themselves. I prefer to rely on facts.

12 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Which just goes to show that people who rely on opinion,i.e. Wikipedia, cannot think for themselves. I prefer to rely on facts.

You are free to edit Wikipedia and citation needed. 

• Haha 1

On 10/14/2019 at 4:36 PM, YetAnother said:

Be lucky if one in one thousand farmers changes anything

Well they had no problem changing from buffalo to tractors & harvesters..........so here's hoping they do for the health of their fellow countrymen.

1 hour ago, Derek B said:

Well they had no problem changing from buffalo to tractors & harvesters..........so here's hoping they do for the health of their fellow countrymen.

Using tractors and harvesters made it easier and usually increases production same as using these chemicals

On 10/14/2019 at 2:32 PM, webfact said:

The person spraying the pesticides must also have a licence,

There's the rub.  Another avenue for under the table envelopes.  The initiative should be about protecting the customer who consumes these products not the unfortunate Somchai who uses them.

• Sad 1