Strict measures on using three toxic pesticides take effect on Oct 20

webfact

Some of you (still advocating the use of pesticides/herbicides or whatever) sound like you've been in Thailand too long. You're thinking like Thais. Not learning from other countries. 

See my post, #49, point, 2.)!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Some of you (still advocating the use of pesticides/herbicides or whatever) sound like you've been in Thailand too long. You're thinking like Thais. Not learning from other countries. 

See my post, #49, point, 2.)!

Errh if you saw what is sprayed into  wheat,canola and barley fields in Aus you would never eat bread use canola oil or drink beer again.

4 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Errh if you saw what is sprayed into  wheat,canola and barley fields in Aus you would never eat bread use canola oil or drink beer again.

Guess they don't export it to China and get a high price for it? ????

20 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

And I would expect that there are strict controls (depending on the crop) on their use.

No you read the label or your agronomist suggests application rates depending on what weeds you have.

Don't forget after its been harvested,you stick some toxic gas in the storage with it to kill pests.

Just don't eat it for 28 days.

Pretty sure the ships that transport the grain to china are fumigated as well.

5 hours ago, mikebell said:

There's the rub.  Another avenue for under the table envelopes.  The initiative should be about protecting the customer who consumes these products not the unfortunate Somchai who uses them.

The Somchais using the chemicals are the ones dying. Please show me 1 case in the world where a person eating a product that has been contaminated by Roundup ot Paraquat within the WHO limit died due to these chemicals. All court cases are people getting sick after spraying it. The disinformation on this subject is massive and very big money is to be made and lost in the world. If these 2 herbicides gets banned worldwide other companies will make billions each year selling alternatives. Thailand is just a small battle in a big war between chemical companies. By the way many alternatives to these 2 herbicides have other negative effect such as ground water contamination, kiiling soil organisms and soil erosion. But due to their indirect impact are considered "safer". For the bunny hugger organic freaks. If the world wants to survive on organic food we need to cut the worlds population by half. The world cannot sistain 7 bn people with organic farming. 

15 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

The Somchais using the chemicals are the ones dying. Please show me 1 case in the world where a person eating a product that has been contaminated by Roundup ot Paraquat within the WHO limit died due to these chemicals. All court cases are people getting sick after spraying it. The disinformation on this subject is massive and very big money is to be made and lost in the world. If these 2 herbicides gets banned worldwide other companies will make billions each year selling alternatives. Thailand is just a small battle in a big war between chemical companies. By the way many alternatives to these 2 herbicides have other negative effect such as ground water contamination, kiiling soil organisms and soil erosion. But due to their indirect impact are considered "safer". For the bunny hugger organic freaks. If the world wants to survive on organic food we need to cut the worlds population by half. The world cannot sistain 7 bn people with organic farming. 

This is why I used the word 'unfortunate' to describe Somchai.  The ban is riding on a wave of publicity in the Thai media about toxic chemicals found on vegetables.  My comment is to draw attention to the corruption found in every Government department which allows the circumventing of laws for a price.

On 10/15/2019 at 11:50 AM, toolpush said:

You have a Horticulture degree and you don't know the difference between a pesticide, a herbicide and a fungicide?

On 10/15/2019 at 11:54 AM, Tayaout said:

I know very well the difference. 

Pesticides are substances that are meant to control pests, including weeds.[1] The term pesticide includes all of the following: herbicide, insecticides (which may include insect growth regulators, termiticides, etc.) nematicide, molluscicide, piscicide, avicide, rodenticide, bactericide, insect repellent, animal repellent, antimicrobial, and fungicide.[2] The most common of these are herbicides which account for approximately 80% of all pesticide use.[3] Most pesticides are intended to serve as plant protection products (also known as crop protection products), which in general, protect plants from weeds, fungi, or insects.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pesticide

BTW I do no till without glyphosate. 

You are absolutely correct. Obviously none of these "experts " have read the legislation in countries like Australia,New Zealand and most likely UK. When they draft legislation like this which requires some knowledge and  they plageise what has been debated before with consultation from all stakeholders including the big chemical boys like Bayer . Recommendations are then tabled and debated in parliament . in theory, and then adopted before and for the ease of both uniformity and worldwide standards. can't imagine Thailand starting to draft the report before doing their research and duplication what they found. On the very first page of the Australian standards there is a page of definitions that states pesticide shall be the term to be used for all pesticides,fungicides, and herbicides. It lists a lot more too and covers both organic and inorganic substances.

I hope that was informative for all those who think qualified horticulturalists know jack <deleted>.

As an adjunct to my post about herbicides and fumigants etc being included under the umbrella of pesticides ,  i think a lot of you are missing the main point for these new regulations. Chemicals like Glyphosate and Paraquat in any of their many formulations are passed on by breathing the fumes, ingestion and probably the most common is by dermal (passing in through the pores of the skin), I have used all these chemicals and more like 24D etc over my years in farming,horticulture and greenkeeping. Even though i had always kept up to date with the latest Safety Data sheets ,labels , manufacturer's  recommendations plus industry journals i now have Multiple Myeloma ,( One of the blood cancers or leukemia) associated with Glyphosate.   .  

If the farmer understands withholding periods written on the chemical products there should not be much contamination passed on to the produce but it is the poor farmers that are at highest risk here and that is any government with any morals (okay that is a joke) should be looking after. Bayer now owns Monsanto and they will be even harder to get into court.

They should check also on pesticides used in hotel rooms in Thailand. They are unregluated and used by unqualified people, even on the bed and pillow that you sleep on.

I nearly got killed in Thailand because the cleaning lady used too much of them in my room.
The day she had sprayed, I ended up severely sick & hallucinating, followed by unconsciousness, followed by being brought to ER, and several black outs even when i was in the hospital.
It took me weeks to stop being extremely dizzy and weak. I feel like i was lucky to survive.

And apparently i am not the only one:
https://www.immigroup.com/news/worst-vacation-poisonings-insecticide-silent-killer-your-hotel-room

On 10/15/2019 at 9:36 AM, farmerjo said:

To add a lot of crops grown are Not for human consumption.  

Can you name "a lot of crops" that are grown by Thai farmers that are not for human consumption?I just tried and have trouble coming up with one crop that Thai farmers grow that is not for human consumption.Not trying to be a d!ck just interested.

Rubber of course!Sorry I'm a bit of a slow learner,as I always say I might be slow but I'm not worth waiting for!

20 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Can you name "a lot of crops" that are grown by Thai farmers that are not for human consumption?I just tried and have trouble coming up with one crop that Thai farmers grow that is not for human consumption.Not trying to be a d!ck just interested.

Rubber of course!Sorry I'm a bit of a slow learner,as I always say I might be slow but I'm not worth waiting for!

Cassava and sugar cane for fuel additive. Corn for livestock. Maybe there is more. 

54 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Sunn Hemp,millet,Napier Grass,Marigold flowers,Ruzi,Guinea,Rubber,Euca,Maize to name a few.

5 hours ago, freestyle said:

They should check also on pesticides used in hotel rooms in Thailand. They are unregluated and used by unqualified people, even on the bed and pillow that you sleep on.

I nearly got killed in Thailand because the cleaning lady used too much of them in my room.
The day she had sprayed, I ended up severely sick & hallucinating, followed by unconsciousness, followed by being brought to ER, and several black outs even when i was in the hospital.
It took me weeks to stop being extremely dizzy and weak. I feel like i was lucky to survive.

And apparently i am not the only one:
https://www.immigroup.com/news/worst-vacation-poisonings-insecticide-silent-killer-your-hotel-room

I wondered why Chlorpyrifos was earmarked on the list,thankyou.

Archived