DHL extracting the urine

starky

Ok I buy all my shoes from the US. So I am well aware of import duty vat and added costs. I can afford it, I'm happy to pay it an it's not issue but this time DHL are taking the <deleted>.

Got a letter on Friday that my goods had succumbed to a random customs check and could I supply a bill of purchase? Roger. Provided said with a declared value of 80US and 40US dollars postage. 

Got an email today that the tax would be 2800 baht plus 7% plus 283 baht processing fee plus a 214 baht "storage fee" hahah so I have to pay the shipping company to store my shoes.

So I wrote back stating there must be some mistake as the goods are only worth 3700 yet you want me to pay over 3000 to receive them. Uhhhm get.... 

He then replies that I've been charged tax on a zone shipping fee which is 3700 plus 3700 so I have been charged import duty on over 7000 baht worth of goods.

Anyone have any idea how to proceed with this idiocy? As I said I don't mind paying the import duty on things I wish to buy but this is ridiculous. 

I paid +50% tax on my shoes shipped from the Netherlands. 

I also ordered some seeds and they (FEDEX) said they would not deliver to my door (3h from Bangkok) because it is stuck at custom. I will have to pay them ~500 baht storage fee since I won't go to Bangkok for 2 month. 

Edited by Tayaout

Just now, Lacessit said:

Why do you buy your shoes from the US? They might have been imported there from China.

Plenty of shoes here in all price ranges.

In my case I wear US 12 and wanted a specific pair of barefoot running shoes. Cannot be found in Bangkok and my size is always an issue. 

3 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

In my case I wear US 12 and wanted a specific pair of barefoot running shoes. Cannot be found in Bangkok and my size is always an issue. 

Fair enough, although barefoot running shoes is a bit of an oxymoron. I get it, no socks. Be aware in this region you are at serious risk of intractable foot infections by not using socks as a barrier.

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Fair enough, although barefoot running shoes is a bit of an oxymoron. I get it, no socks. Be aware in this region you are at serious risk of intractable foot infections by not using socks as a barrier.

You can wear socks. It has more to do with almost no rubber under the shoe (not sure the correct word) and no arch support. I checked many mall in Bangkok and did not find anything and I've been wearing this model for 7 years so I know the exact size needed. 

Edited by Tayaout

4 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

You can wear socks. It has more to do with almost no rubber under the shoe (not sure the correct word) and no arch support. I checked many mall in Bangkok and did not find anything and I've been wearing this model for 7 years so I know the exact size needed. 

Sounds similar to moccasins to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tayaout said:

I paid +50% tax on my shoes shipped from the Netherlands. 

I also ordered some seeds and they (FEDEX) said they would not deliver to my door (3h from Bangkok) because it is stuck at custom. I will have to pay them ~500 baht storage fee since I won't go to Bangkok for 2 month. 

hope you got larry og or like say some bubba.....

• Confused 1

I regularly buy from Amazon in the US.   I find their prices very competitive, and when items are being shipped to me here in Thailand, the total amount is inclusive of postage and calculated import tax deposit (if this has been overestimated, I get a rebate usually a couple of weeks later).

An example.   Friday 4th October I ordered 4 bicycle tyres, received them on Tuesday 8th October via UPS, and tracked all the way.   Routing was California/Alaska/Incheon/Bangkok (cleared Customs same day)/Phuket.   This is from the order confirmation email:

Order Summary
Item(s) Subtotal:
$233.48
Shipping & Handling:
$25.83

Total before tax:
$259.31
Estimated tax to be collected:
$0.00
Import Fees Deposit
$63.58

Grand Total:
$322.89

I've linked my Thai PayPal account to my Amazon account, so prices/costs are converted into Baht which because of the exchange rate currently in favour of the Baht, is a win/win for me.

Incidentally, I occasionally order shoes from the US (Bruno Magli) which you can't get in Thailand anyway.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tayaout said:

Really? I did check 3 shopping mall + Langkawi sport shop. Barefoot running shoes doesn't seem trendy. 

Yes my wife bought them for her brother...that was 5 years ago though. And they were half price iirc.

https://www.google.com/search?q=merrell+bangkok&oq=merrell+bangkok&aqs=chrome..69i57.3968j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I've seen them in several malls but lately we shop in Singapore and don't visit the malls often in BKK.

• Like 1

I don't know what barefoot running shoes are btw....i use all my sneakers barefoot..bought a pare of under armor yesterday and they are very thin, perfect for barefoot imo....

Also Nike has many very thin models, i also have some, very light and breath very good...they look the same as yours, the fabric i mean...

Edited by fruitman

16 minutes ago, fruitman said:

I don't know what barefoot running shoes are btw....i use all my sneakers barefoot..bought a pare of under armor yesterday and they are very thin, perfect for barefoot imo....

Also Nike has many very thin models, i also have some, very light and breath very good...they look the same as yours, the fabric i mean...

Barefoot running shoes have less cushion and no support. They give the feeling of being barefoot. You feel everything under the shoes like tiny rock or cracks. You can use socks if you want. 

There is 2 major school of thought: the minimalist argue that it's more natural to run barefoot or with minimal padded shoes vs maximalist that believe heavy padding reduce injury risk.

Barefoot runners tends to put their weight on the whole foot arch vs maximalist that run on their heel since they have thick padding. 

Most shoes you see are maximalist shoes. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Tayaout said:

Barefoot running shoes have less cushion and no support. They give the feeling of being barefoot. You feel everything under the shoes like tiny rock or cracks. You can use socks if you want. 

There is 2 major school of thought: the minimalist argue that it's more natural to run barefoot or with minimal padded shoes vs maximalist that believe heavy padding reduce injury risk.

Barefoot runners tends to put their weight on the whole foot arch vs maximalist that run on their heel since they have thick padding. 

Most shoes you see are maximalist shoes. 

I don't want to derail this thread but my father is also a runner and one day he peed blood for several days....the doctor adviced him Brooks running shoes because it was caused by cheap sportshoes which didn't dampen good enough. Well up to you....

7 hours ago, damascase said:

Import duties are calculated on the value of the goods plus shipping cost to Thailand. Rules laid down in World Trade Organization’s agreement on Customs Valuation.

Obviously didn't read my post at all but thanks anyway

6 hours ago, Tayaout said:

Same as me size 12EE and why in hell would yoy trust anything shipped out of China? Managed to reply to the wrong post lol sorry.

Edited by starky

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Practical choices as I see it are:

1. Refuse the shipment and later get it resent by regular mail not courier. However if you already signed a paper authorizing DHL to clear this through customs on your behalf I am not sure this is still an option..at minimum you'd likely have to cover their costs/time spent screwing this up. (I'm not a fan of couriers here as you can see).

2. Tell them you do not want their services and will clear it through customs yourself then do so. Same caveat as above.

3. Pay up and make sure future orders come through regular post not courier

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Some of the places I order from have no other postage options besides DHL I try to use providers with us postal or something similar but this isn't always possible.