Climate change activists target London's financial district

webfact

Climate change activists target London's financial district

By Guy Faulconbridge

2019-10-14T081322Z_1_LYNXMPEF9D0L5_RTROPTP_4_CLIMATE-CHANGE-SCIENTISTS.JPG

Protesters hold a banner as they block the road during an Extinction Rebellion demonstration at Bank, in the City of London, Britain October 14, 2019. REUTERS/Henry Nicholls

LONDON (Reuters) - Climate change activists targeted London's financial district on Monday blocking Bank junction, vowing a day of disruption for major institutions which they said were financing an environmental catastrophe.

Extinction Rebellion protesters blocked the streets around Bank in the heart of the City of London.

"The City of London is a preeminent nexus of power in the global system that is killing our world," said Carolina Rosa, spokesperson for Extinction Rebellion.

The activists will target major financial institutions which they say are financing fossil fuel exploration and infrastructure. A mock trial of the financial sector will take place at shortly after midday.

The group, which promotes a rebellion against the political, economic and social structure of the modern world to avert the worst devastation outlined by scientists studying climate, is engaged in two weeks of civil disobedience in London.

Police said there had been more than 1,300 arrests since the protests began.

"There are currently protesters blocking roads around Bank Junction," the City of London Police said on Twitter, which has previously warned of disruptive demonstrations on Monday.

Extinction Rebellion wants non-violent civil disobedience to force governments to cut carbon emissions and avert a climate crisis it says will bring starvation and social collapse.

Bank of England Governor Mark Carney has said the financial sector must transform its management of climate risk, warning that global warming would prompt reassessments of the value of every single financial asset.

Carney has been a leading voice among regulators in warning of the risks climate change poses to the stability of the global financial system. He has led various international initiatives to improve supervision and disclosure.

"Climate disclosure must become comprehensive, climate risk management must be transformed, and sustainable investing must go mainstream," he told a United Nations climate summit last month.

(Reporting by Guy Faulconbridge; editing by Michael Holden)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-10-14

2 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

The banner is right though. Lots of the fossil fuels came from now extinct animals and plants.

I disagree that that was the point they were trying to communicate with that banner. But let's go with that:

Lots of the fossil fuels came from now extinct animals and plants.

So what? Plants and animals come and go. The only constant in Earth's existence is change.

Just now, Crazy Alex said:

Lots of the fossil fuels came from now extinct animals and plants.

So what? Plants and animals come and go. The only constant in Earth's existence is change.

Oh come now, would you like to end up in a tank after 300 million years of restfully sleeping in the ground? Think of the feelings of those poor zooplanktons! Dead plants have rights, too! 

9 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Oh come now, would you like to end up in a tank after 300 million years of restfully sleeping in the ground? Think of the feelings of those poor zooplanktons! Dead plants have rights, too! 

OK, I got you now. Well-played!!! LOL!

36 minutes ago, kingdong said:

Extinction rebellion has been hijacked by anarchists.

Actually, XR was set up by anarchists.

Or, to be more accurate, bored middle-class malcontents playing at being anarchists. Just check out the CV of one Robin Boardman-Pattinson to see the typical XR activist profile.

He has just enough brains to be able to superglue himself to structures, and easily enough money to go skiing in the Alps and take tropical holidays in Bali.

That's a hell of a way to save the planet.

3 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

Or, to be more accurate, bored middle-class malcontents playing at being anarchists. Just check out the CV of one Robin Boardman-Pattinson to see the typical XR activist profile.

He has just enough brains to be able to superglue himself to structures, and easily enough money to go skiing in the Alps and take tropical holidays in Bali.

I believe he failed that too, to be honest...

2 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

Oh come now... surely he took a row boat or sailed on Greta's yacht to go to Bali.

No, but seriously: I agree with your post. It's spot on. I suspect many of these people don't even know what they're protesting. It's just en vogue.

4 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

If you mean the dim bulb that tried to glue himself to the automatic doors, that wasn't our Robin, who was probably ski-ing at the time.

'Academic Dr Larch Maxey wanted to stick himself to the Bristol City Council building in a bid to get them to declare a climate emergency. '

Ah, one of our famed consensus scientists at large.

1 minute ago, Crazy Alex said:

I suspect many of these people don't even know what they're protesting. It's just en vogue.

I'd put it this way.

It's the activism itself that is the motivation; the actual 'cause' is irrelevant.

It could be global warming, biodiversity, diversity, gay rights, transgender rights, ambidextrous rights, doesn't matter, as long as there's something to wave a banner at and feel -- at least temporarily -- less of a loser.

2 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

'Academic Dr Larch Maxey wanted to stick himself to the Bristol City Council building in a bid to get them to declare a climate emergency. '

Ah, one of our famed consensus scientists at large.

Looks more like a mental health emergency to me.

15 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

I'd put it this way.

It's the activism itself that is the motivation; the actual 'cause' is irrelevant.

It could be global warming, biodiversity, diversity, gay rights, transgender rights, ambidextrous rights, doesn't matter, as long as there's something to wave a banner at and feel -- at least temporarily -- less of a loser.

I couldn't agree more. If these people would put the effort they put into protesting capitalism (that's what most of these protests are about when it comes down to it) into improving their lives, they'd be much better off.

1 minute ago, Crazy Alex said:

I couldn't agree more. If these people would put the effort they put into protesting capitalism (that's what most of these protests are about when it comes down to it) into improving their lives, they'd be much better off.

Yup, but it's always much easier to blame your problems on somebody or something else than it is to take a long hard look at yourself and admit you could do a lot better.

Plus, if you buy into the activist scene, you get the instant comfort of feeling morally superior to the benighted masses. What's not to like?

11 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

The only time i will ever take any notice of these idiots is if the go to China and wave banners outside their coal fired plants,until then they are irrelevant.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

None of them have ever protested in China. That is because China is communist already (the real thrust/raison d'être of these rallies).

9 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

None of them have ever protested in China. That is because China is communist already (the real thrust/raison d'être of these rallies).

Yes. They are protesting against the very system which grants them licence to roam around the streets at will, causing a nuisance to the rest of the population, with little fear of unpleasant consequences.

You don't even need to travel as far as China to witness brutality against protesters; the French authorities' treatment of the gilets jaune has been extremely violent. These London XR protesters are very lucky, not that they would ever appreciate that.

12 hours ago, RickBradford said:

I'd put it this way.

I’d put it this way.

It’s activism on behalf of anything, especially the rights of minorities or those suffering abuse that triggers Illiberals into their rage.

It could be global warming, biodiversity, diversity, gay rights, transgender rights, women’s rights (and if not these make up some fictitious ‘ambidextrous rights’) it doesn’t matter to a triggered Illiberal, what matters is venting your spleen and for a brief moment believing you are less of a loser.

48 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Probably because they don’t live in China and likely have never been there.

It’s a small point, but I’m sure you can grasp it.

Archived