Still recommending Thailand/CM to friends?

Genericnic

I have been living here full-time for almost 9 years. I love the people, the food, the north of Thailand generally. And yet, I find myself not recommending Thailand as a place for my friends to visit. I generally suggest that we meet up in someplace else like Penang, Siem Reap, Hanoi, etc. For a place to live, I think Thailand is fine - if you can deal with the antics of immigration - but it has lost some of the luster as a tourist destination. Some of it is that Chiang Mai in particular but Thailand in general is being overrun PRCs (what my ethnic Chinese friends call the folks from mainland China - they find them annoying as well) and then the long standing practice of double pricing, especially by the government itself, e.g. national parks. Even though Bali is overrun by tourists as well, I think it is more tourist friendly. 

So I am curious if others that have been here for a few years find that they are doing similar things.

David

p.s. For anyone thinking I am bashing Thailand, go back and read the first two sentences.

We've been here 18 years, all of them in Chiang Mai.

I enthusiastically recommend Thailand to friends, and friends of friends who write and ask for suggestions, both as a place to vacation, a country to visit, or a location for retirement.

The things that attracted us to Thailand so many years ago have not changed. People coming for the first time will never notice the things that HAVE changed.

I won't go back to Koh Tao these days because the island I enjoyed didn't have electricity, roads, cars, or noise all night. I'll go to a different island and enjoy it. But people I've sent there recently loved it, and think it's a perfect tropical paradise. 

Thailand is still a magical place.

I have been living here full-time for almost 9 years. I love the people, the food, the north of Thailand generally. And yet, I find myself not recommending Thailand as a place for my friends to visit. I generally suggest that we meet up in someplace else like Penang, Siem Reap, Hanoi, etc. For a place to live, I think Thailand is fine - if you can deal with the antics of immigration - but it has lost some of the luster as a tourist destination. Some of it is that Chiang Mai in particular but Thailand in general is being overrun PRCs (what my ethnic Chinese friends call the folks from mainland China - they find them annoying as well) and then the long standing practice of double pricing, especially by the government itself, e.g. national parks. Even though Bali is overrun by tourists as well, I think it is more tourist friendly. 

So I am curious if others that have been here for a few years find that they are doing similar things.

David

p.s. For anyone thinking I am bashing Thailand, go back and read the first two sentences.

No, not Thai bashing. Just Chinese bashing

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

No, not Thai bashing. Just Chinese bashing

Only mainland Chinese bashing. Something my ethnic Chinese friends in Thailand, Malaysia, and Singapore and I have in common. PRCs are not popular in any of those places.

David

4 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

both as a place to vacation, a country to visit, or a location for retirement.

That´s 3 things and not 2.

However, how can you be so irresponsible, that you wish the people you know, your friends and their friends to die of pollution? ????????

9 hours ago, Matzzon said:

That´s 3 things and not 2.

Why are you so childishly pedantic?  Why do you have this need to show off to absolute strangers?

However, how can you be so irresponsible, that you wish the people you know, your friends and their friends to die of pollution? 

????????

How can you be so foolishly illogical as to think I 'wish' people to die?

You seem to add two plus two and think the result is five.

Rather, I 'wish' them to enjoy the same peace, tranquility, and comfortable lifestyle we have found while living in Chiang Mai. Just so long as they avoid negative doom-sayers like you, they will have a long and happy life. We certainly have. It does really just require avoiding the Drama Queens.

Yes, we recommend it to many of our mainland Chinese friends and family. Many are weary of living in an oppressive regime whose leader is now threatening to break bones in Hong Kong, guess they see the same happening on the mainland again.

Many new mainland friends are already here with their families,in a couple of cases 3 generations, having made the decision to uproot and find a new life for themselves.

54 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

Why are you so childishly pedantic?  Why do you have this need to show off to absolute strangers?

It´s not pedantic, it´s right. Please post again if you can oppose that.

How can you be so foolishly illogical as to think I 'wish' people to die?

You seem to add two plus two and think the result is five.

Rather, I 'wish' them to enjoy the same peace, tranquility, and comfortable lifestyle we have found while living in Chiang Mai. Just so long as they avoid negative doom-sayers like you, they will have a long and happy life. We certainly have. It does really just require avoiding the Drama Queens.

Because you recommend them to stay in one of the most polluted areas in Thailand. Mean that you knowingly invite them to a place where they have the chance to die quicker.

I also know that ain´t the reason why you invite them, because you do not realize the threat and the risks. You invite them out of the beautiful place, tranquility, as well as all the things there is to do. That does not make my statement any less true, though.

And no. 2 +2 is still 3. It´s you that chose to ignore the facts and make it 5.

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

It´s not pedantic, it´s right. Please post again if you can oppose that.

A) You need to learn the definition of 'pedantic.'

[NOTE: A pedant is a person who is excessively concerned with formalism, accuracy, and precision, or one who makes an ostentatious and arrogant show of learning.]

B) It's not a matter of correct or not... It's a platform for you to attempt to show off your English grammar skills, and ironically, make a mistake doing so!  Again, why do you feel the need to try to show off to complete strangers.

As I said before, the way to enjoy life is not get caught up in the misery-loves-company of Drama Queens such as you. so... bye bye.

2 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

A) You need to learn the definition of 'pedantic.'

[NOTE: A pedant is a person who is excessively concerned with formalism, accuracy, and precision, or one who makes an ostentatious and arrogant show of learning.]

B) It's not a matter of correct or not... It's a platform for you to attempt to show off your English grammar skills, and ironically, make a mistake doing so!  Again, why do you feel the need to try to show off to complete strangers.

As I said before, the way to enjoy life is not get caught up in the misery-loves-company of Drama Queens such as you. so... bye bye.

I have no english grammar skills, due to that it´s not my native language.

No, I do not show off. I am telling you the truth based on fact, instead of the fairytale you are offering hidden behind a deep smog.

44 minutes ago, Mark1066 said:

I've never recommended Chiang Mai as a holiday destination. It's quite boring and has very little to offer when compared to other destinations in Thailand/SEA, at least in my humble opinion.

Golf, tennis, horseback riding, swimming, Archery, fishing, motorcycle touring, trekking, fencing, table tennis on a professional level, modern and ballroom dancing, hill walking, meditation centers, billiards, spas, shopping centers, medical tourism, nigh clubs, great restaurants, museums, galleries, zoos, concerts, cultural and agricultural expositions, and of course, sex, drugs, and rock and roll.

What is it that you are not finding here? Frankly, I can't find enough hours in the day to do all the things I want to do here!

1 hour ago, FolkGuitar said:

Golf, tennis, horseback riding, swimming, Archery, fishing, motorcycle touring, trekking, fencing, table tennis on a professional level, modern and ballroom dancing, hill walking, meditation centers, billiards, spas, shopping centers, medical tourism, nigh clubs, great restaurants, museums, galleries, zoos, concerts, cultural and agricultural expositions, and of course, sex, drugs, and rock and roll.

What is it that you are not finding here? Frankly, I can't find enough hours in the day to do all the things I want to do here!

There's nothing I personally want that I can't find (well there is but it's not relevant to holidaymakers), I'm talking about Chiang Mai from the perspective of a holiday destination. Sure there are many organised activities available but those are available in numerous locations across Thailand. It's just my personal opinion really - I couldn't in good conscience recommend CM as a holiday destination because I find the place dull and uninspiring. The city itself is quite ugly, the food and accommodation is questionable in many venues and the bars close very early: if I were flying to Thailand from the other side of the world, I think I'd much rather stay in Bangkok if I wanted a city break or a coastal location if I wanted a relaxing holiday in the sun.

Looking more closely at your list, many of the activities/destinations wouldn't be on my holiday 'to do' list. Ballroom dancing, fishing, professional table tennis, meditation, hospitals and agricultural expositions are of little interest to most holidaymakers I'd have thought. If sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll are what you want, there are many better places. The zoo is a bit of a dump to be honest and if it's concerts, shopping centres, museums, great restaurants and night clubs you want, Bangkok has it beaten by a country mile.

Still recommending Thailand/CM to friends?

No sorry we don't

We have family here so still return to visit

But no to recommending Thailand & especially no to recommending the

once quaint but now burnt out CM to friends

The good years are well & truly behind Thailand these days. It has been overrun & cheap tourism with lack of country upkeep has taken its toll on both the country & the locals now mostly weary of tourists.

For us deep in the country it is still ok to visit but again only because we have family we love

to see. If not? There are far better deals & places to visit in the world today.

I've been living in Isaan for the last 17 years, working at schools for 15 years and I remember the good old days when Thailand was really the Land of Smiles.

I settled down here because the country was totally different; everything was much cheaper, immigration was much easier to deal with, and jobs were easy to get.

Would a friend now ask me if he'/she should retire in Thailand, it would be a definite NO.

There are countries where people appreciate it when you make their country to your final destination. 

Thailand doesn't seem to be part of them, regardless of where. 

Since last smoke season and during this immigration offensive (defensive?) I have talked no fewer than three dozen people out of visiting thailand and specifically the north of thailand. Most ended up going to Vietnam, Laos and Myanmar but some to Bhutan and Sri Lanka. Every one of them I talked to after their trip thanked me.

Since last smoke season and during this immigration offensive (defensive?) I have talked no fewer than three dozen people out of visiting thailand and specifically the north of thailand. Most ended up going to Vietnam, Laos and Myanmar but some to Bhutan and Sri Lanka. Every one of them I talked to after their trip thanked me.

Yet, you still live in Thailand?

2 hours ago, Dinobot said:

Thank you!  ????

7 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

6 hours ago, Mark1066 said:

There's nothing I personally want that I can't find (well there is but it's not relevant to holidaymakers), I'm talking about Chiang Mai from the perspective of a holiday destination. Sure there are many organised activities available but those are available in numerous locations across Thailand.

So in other words, it's actually not that Chiang Mai is boring. It's that you don't want to do these things here. You'd rather do them somewhere else. That makes more sense to me. I sometimes wish there wasn't so much to see and do here, and that I'd get bored and feel like going somewhere else. On the other hand, we save a bundle not needing travel money or hotel money, so I think it's a win-win situation!

On 10/14/2019 at 3:52 PM, Genericnic said:

ut it has lost some of the luster as a tourist destination.

Tourists get lots of smile as they are happy, no surprises there. However we make the mistake of thinking that tourists see Thailand the same way we do as somewhat jaded expats as immigration continue to hammer us but in reality Your far better off being a tourist and Thats my plan 9 months oz 3 months Thailand

As for CM far to many negatives and recently switched a friend from There to Jomtien

Yet, you still live in Thailand?

No, I moved out of Thailand when the smoke pushed me past my limit of what’s an acceptable health risk, earlier this year. The immigration situation also helped tip the scale toward leaving.

Still, many people ask me for advice when planning trips to Southeast Asia because of the time I’ve spent living and traveling in the region. Happy to steer them to more welcoming and less overrun destinations.

On 10/17/2019 at 5:53 PM, FolkGuitar said:

So in other words, it's actually not that Chiang Mai is boring. It's that you don't want to do these things here. You'd rather do them somewhere else. That makes more sense to me. I sometimes wish there wasn't so much to see and do here, and that I'd get bored and feel like going somewhere else. On the other hand, we save a bundle not needing travel money or hotel money, so I think it's a win-win situation!

No, that's not what I'm saying at all. I could make a long list of activities for most any populated location in Thailand you care to mention (or indeed the world) but that list wouldn't convey the atmosphere and really wouldn't mean very much. Again, we're not talking about what I would like to do or where I'd like to do it - stop trying to make this about me.

I'm saying that I would not recommend Chiang Mai to friends who wanted an interesting holiday. There's no coast, the city is dirty and drab, the nightlife is lacking to say the least, and I don't think much of the local restaurants, certainly not when compared to those in other cities/countries. I would never have come to Chiang Mai on holiday and I wouldn't recommend it to anybody else. If you think that agricultural expositions are a big draw for the average holidaymaker then you and I are on completely different wavelengths. In summary, I wouldn't, and never have, recommended Chiang Mai as a holiday destination. I'm not trying to be offensive or talk the city down, I just don't see it in that light.

No, I moved out of Thailand when the smoke pushed me past my limit of what’s an acceptable health risk, earlier this year. The immigration situation also helped tip the scale toward leaving.

Still, many people ask me for advice when planning trips to Southeast Asia because of the time I’ve spent living and traveling in the region. Happy to steer them to more welcoming and less overrun destinations.

I’ve lived in other countries in the past (Singapore, Indonesia, Hong Kong etc). When I leave, I tend not to spend any more time on their local forums. Guess you have more leisure time than I do.

I don't consider it my place to tell people where they should go or what to do with their time.  A nephew just told me he is planning to visit in January with his girlfriend and I simply said OK.  We will try to find time to see them, whether they have time to come visit us or not.  I am not going to impose my preferences, after more than 40 years living here, on a first time visitor I have not seen for many years.  I am fairly confident they will have a good time here and take back interesting and fond memories of their trip.

Archived