Jump to content
BANGKOK
Fore Man

Annual Retirement Extension: Residency Requirements?

Recommended Posts

I have searched high and low through TV to find an answer to this question:  can a retiree extend his visa annually while not living here continuously?  What if the retiree lives in his home country for 9-10 months a year and then returns in time to perform an annual extension?  I am contemplating doing this...living away from Thailand to spend more time in my homeland...and coming back to maintain my visa based on retirement reasons. I will maintain a permanent address in Thailand throughout the year but only live in it for those one or two months, and visit our local provincial immigration office near the end of my visit to coincide with the normal earliest extension date of 45 days prior to visa expiration. Is this legal and permitted?  This means leaving the Kingdom for 9-10 months and then bringing my paperwork to the office 45 days in advance of visa expiration to extend my visa for another year.  Just wondering.,,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You still need to comply with financial requirements such as having 800k/400k in a Thai bank or transferring 65k per month, every month even when you're not in Thailand.

Edited by BertM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good answers.

 

Hey, if that is your golf swing Fore Man, you must be darn good player. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BertM said:

You still need to comply with financial requirements such as having 800k/400k in a Thai bank or transferring 65k per month, every month even when you're not in Thailand.

Even more easy if you are not American, Australian or British, as then you only have to proof that you have the equivalent of monthly  65000 ThB in homeland.

So no need to transfer money when you are not in Thailand.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Good answers.

 

Hey, if that is your golf swing Fore Man, you must be darn good player. 🙂

Hah!  I wish!  I maintain that avatar as a constant reminder of how I should be swinging the club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The downside of no residency requirements is that there is never any chance for an upgrade in residency status based on retirement extensions. So a first year person has the same status a person that has done several years of extensions.

To add not all offices allow 45 days early but probably all allow 30 days early.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Posted 25 minutes ago (edited) by BertM

You still need to comply with financial requirements such as having 800k/400k in a Thai bank or transferring 65k per month, every month even when you're not in Thailand.

Edited 23 minutes ago by BertM

————————-
Yes, I understand this, and will lock up THB 800K continuously. Who knows, someday I may want to live in LOS full-time and maintaining a visa due to retirement reasons would make my eventual transition much easier.  Of course if visa extension requirements keep becoming more onerous, I always have the option of staying the course elsewhere. 

Edited by Fore Man
Properly cite a previous post that my response applies to...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not a specialist of the visas, but in my case i have a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement

and each time i have to go back to europe (I did it 4 or 5 time in 4 years) i need to ask a reentry permission at the immigration office before leaving Thailand, and it's clearly writed on the form the time period staying out of Thailand can not exceed 90 days, or i lose the benefit of the 1 year extension of stay. 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

I am not a specialist of the visas, but in my case i have a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement

and each time i have to go back to europe (I did it 4 or 5 time in 4 years) i need to ask a reentry permission at the immigration office before leaving Thailand, and it's clearly writed on the form the time period staying out of Thailand can not exceed 90 days, or i lose the benefit of the 1 year extension of stay. 

 

This might be the real sticking point here.  I appreciate this response, kingofthemountain.  It seems I need to look into this aspect in more depth.  I normally obtained a multiple re-entry permit each time I extended my visa and in some years only used it once, making it a poor investment. But then I spent most of my time in Thailand.  My idea for the future may not work if a visa holder is compelled to return within 90-days after traveling abroad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Fore Man said:

This might be the real sticking point here.  I appreciate this response, kingofthemountain.  It seems I need to look into this aspect in more depth.  I normally obtained a multiple re-entry permit each time I extended my visa and in some years only used it once, making it a poor investment. But then I spent most of my time in Thailand.  My idea for the future may not work if a visa holder is compelled to return within 90-days after traveling abroad. 

I just came back after more than 6 months out of the country (retirement extension / multi re-entry)... absolutely no issue.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kilt said:

I just came back after more than 6 months out of the country (retirement extension / multi re-entry)... absolutely no issue.

 

Thanks for this input; perhaps the ME permit is the useful discriminator bearing on this issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This might be the real sticking point here.  I appreciate this response, kingofthemountain.  It seems I need to look into this aspect in more depth.  I normally obtained a multiple re-entry permit each time I extended my visa and in some years only used it once, making it a poor investment. But then I spent most of my time in Thailand.  My idea for the future may not work if a visa holder is compelled to return within 90-days after traveling abroad. 

Surely you jest. You can afford to maintain the Thb800k in a Thai bank perpetually, I’m sure the extra Thb3,900(?) for the multiple re-entry is really no skin off your nose.
Don’t forget, there are folks much poorer than you who are paying agents Thb15k or more every year.


Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...