VOIP Calls

UKGeezer

Hi all,

First post so be kind! :)

Im intending to spend a month at a time in Thailand as from next next year. I have taken on Vonage Business Cloud VOIP service so that I can carry on working, and make/recieve calls to the UK.

I have been assured by the Vonage people that this will work seamlessly, however, im after a bit of reassurance from anyone who uses this or any other VOIP service to carry on business to the UK whilst in LOS.

So any experience/reviews would be gratefully received.

Many Thanks

2 minutes ago, muratremix said:

For VOIP, make sure you have a good internet connection with a public IPv4 address. Cheaper 590 baht plans usually comes with CGNAT shared IP address and it is bad for voip.

Thanks for the reply.

I intend to rent a condo with its own direct internet, so not sharing with the rest of the block.

Hi all,  

First post so be kind! :)

Im intending to spend a month at a time in Thailand as from next next year. I have taken on Vonage Business Cloud VOIP service so that I can carry on working, and make/recieve calls to the UK.

I have been assured by the Vonage people that this will work seamlessly, however, im after a bit of reassurance from anyone who uses this or any other VOIP service to carry on business to the UK whilst in LOS.

Many Thanks

I have a Vonage business VOIP account for making calls to the UK and it works perfectly. I have a fiber optic connection with 3BB.

12 hours ago, UKGeezer said:

Thanks for the reply.

I intend to rent a condo with its own direct internet, so not sharing with the rest of the block.

They usually offer VDSL in condo's and not fiber. 3BB and AIS VDSL packages usually is under CGNAT and not dynamic public IPv4. 

4 hours ago, muratremix said:

They usually offer VDSL in condo's and not fiber. 3BB and AIS VDSL packages usually is under CGNAT and not dynamic public IPv4. 

Im not really educated in the difference.

So if it is "VDSL" would this be adequate?

5 hours ago, trd said:
21 hours ago, UKGeezer said:
Hi all,  

First post so be kind! ????

Many Thanks

I have a Vonage business VOIP account for making calls to the UK and it works perfectly. I have a fiber optic connection with 3BB.

Thats good to know.

So is your Internet direct to your condo? or are you in a house?

Thats good to know.

I'm in a house with my own fiber optic router. VOIP doesn't require much bandwidth. What's more important is the reliability of the connection. You don't want to have dropped calls.

10 minutes ago, trd said:
19 minutes ago, UKGeezer said:
Thats good to know.

I'm in a house with my own fiber optic router. VOIP doesn't require much bandwidth. What's more important is the reliability of the connection. You don't want to have dropped calls.

This is from a review of the condo that I will most probably rent. Sound any good to you?

and the internet package was an upgrade to 3BB 13Mbps down/1 Mbps up (as opposed to the more typical 10M down/512k up).

This is from a review of the condo that I will most probably rent. Sound any good to you?

and the internet package was an upgrade to 3BB 13Mbps down/1 Mbps up (as opposed to the more typical 10M down/512k up).

The speed is quite adequate. As a comparison I have no problems at all in streaming a YouTube video without buffering on a 1 Mbps 4G mobile connection (it's a restricted speed mobile package I have because it's cheap for when I'm out and about) the video uses much more bandwidth than audio on a VoIP so you're safe. Also I have used Vonage to call the UK on that 4G connection and I didn't even have any latency problems. It's about whether the connection is reliable in terms of uptime. I don't have any problem with fiber but if it's a copper telephone line I have had issues in the past with faulty connections and rain even. You won't mind if your connection goes down momentarily if you are just browsing on the web but the last thing you want on a business call is for the call to drop. But you won't really know how stable the connection is until you try it.

2 minutes ago, trd said:

The speed is quite adequate. As a comparison I have no problems at all in streaming a YouTube video without buffering on a 1 Mbps 4G mobile connection (it's a restricted speed mobile package I have because it's cheap for when I'm out and about) the video uses much more bandwidth than audio on a VoIP so you're safe. Also I have used Vonage to call the UK on that 4G connection and I didn't even have any latency problems. It's about whether the connection is reliable in terms of uptime. I don't have any problem with fiber but if it's a copper telephone line I have had issues in the past with faulty connections and rain even. You won't mind if your connection goes down momentarily if you are just browsing on the web but the last thing you want on a business call is for the call to drop. But you won't really know how stable the connection is until you try it.

That was an option I was thinking. Getting a local sim so to use the 4GEE as a backup. Im going to book a couple of weeks in the condo as a trial.

Good to know others are using it though.

Archived