Strengthening of baht and divisive politics could hurt Thai economy

snoop1130

21 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Strengthening of baht and divisive politics could hurt Thai economy

Obviously there's a dis-connect between those in power that make the decisions & what's actually happening on the streets with people trying to make a living !

15 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Local Thai people are suffering they've got no money the government dont give a flying <deleted>, our cleaners come today borrow 2000 Baht because no tourist here

The only time any money appears in our village is when mothers and fathers return from work in Bangkok/Chonburi to visit their parents who care for their children. When they're not here the local economy runs on borrowed money! Farmers are totally at the mercy of the weather. A bad harvest means loans don't get payed off and so the downward spiral of debt continues with banks repossessing many homes. This military government is despised where I live.

It certainly wouldn't hurt the Thai economy to introduce a modest age pension. One thing you can guarantee with the poor is that they will spend it immediately. Money makes the world go around, as they say.

But in all seriousness, it'll never happen because the government is so ignorant that the thought of 'giving money away' is abhorent to them.

only a week or so back the manager of the Thai bank said must stop the baht going any higher looks like the General (PM) has put a stop to that ( army rules) forget the people their not wanted they have no money strange it has been said the gov. has no money also blown the lot big troubles a head

19 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Local Thai people are suffering they've got no money the government dont give a flying <deleted>, our cleaners come today borrow 2000 Baht because no tourist here

But  "The Thailand Tourism Intelligence Centre says 23.1 million foreign tourists visited the Kingdom between January and the end of August this year, up nearly 2% compared to the same period last year. The big mover is Indian tourists, up 24% year on year." 

1 hour ago, sambum said:

But  "The Thailand Tourism Intelligence Centre says 23.1 million foreign tourists visited the Kingdom between January and the end of August this year, up nearly 2% compared to the same period last year. The big mover is Indian tourists, up 24% year on year." 

It's all about big volume here. A million Smarties seem to be worth more than one BMW...

5 hours ago, joebrown said:

The only time any money appears in our village is when mothers and fathers return from work in Bangkok/Chonburi to visit their parents who care for their children. When they're not here the local economy runs on borrowed money! Farmers are totally at the mercy of the weather. A bad harvest means loans don't get payed off and so the downward spiral of debt continues with banks repossessing many homes. This military government is despised where I live.

The Government are despised in a great number of Thai Households right across the Nation.

An average Thai family have seen their way of life being eroded. and a spiral of debt entering their World, where before, there was little or non.

Until about 3 Years ago, A family could just about make ends meet and have a small amount of money for Emergencies. Now they are unable to meet the Monthly bills (not entirely their fault for over borrowing ) in some cases.

This Government seems to think that Thailand is up there with the " Elite " Countries of the Planet, the likes of the US, and European Nations, Etc, and thinks that because a few rich people that Reside in Bangkok are in that status group, then why are the rest of the population not ?

The reality is that Thailand is trying to punch above its weight in the World, and the mass,s are being left to rot by this Government. Thailand is still a "Developing Nation " and not a " Developed Nation", and are in urgent  need of a reality check.

8 hours ago, Xonax said:

Compared to 5 years ago, I get 25% less Baht for my Euro, so if anyone in the government are still wondering, why European tourists no longer travel to Thailand, just look at the below chart showing Euro vs Baht during the last 5 years.

https://www.advfn.com/stock-market/FX/EURTHB/chart

EURTHBCHART20142019.jpg

EURTHBchart1Y.jpg

go back another 15 years and you'll see a slow negative trend in the EUR.  Was at 52 about 11 years ago.

4 hours ago, Bugsy777 said:

It certainly wouldn't hurt the Thai economy to introduce a modest age pension. One thing you can guarantee with the poor is that they will spend it immediately. Money makes the world go around, as they say.

But in all seriousness, it'll never happen because the government is so ignorant that the thought of 'giving money away' is abhorent to them.

There is already a modest age pension in place, very modest.  There are also monthly social security payments to those who paid into the system and retired.

Giving money away is hardly abhorrent to the government, it's a way to retain favor.  You must have missed the news about the 1,000 THB giveaway to all Thai citizens to promote domestic spending and tourism. 

These programs do  not add up to much, but they are something.

On 10/14/2019 at 7:05 PM, BuckBee said:

well if thailand implemented actions 2 months ago it would of been well above 30 and not like go below 30 .

base rate needed cutting and never should of gone up to 1.5, they need  put it down again and implement further control on investment and ease outgoing rules .  Main thing is needs doing asap as effects on export/manufacture are getting huge and hard pull it back if wait too long, to many other cheaper options in the region and they got better government and immi policy .

With amount of money uncle buck banana spent on silk shirts, watches, MP's for election win and chinese hardware/projects tough times are ahead.

Been far wiser spending on water management infrastructure and education and encouraging BOT act swift on currency control .

Are you smart and wealthy?  I doubt it I bet you are zero for two. 

All I know is us retired people who live on a limited pension are being slaughtered by the Baht's strength and the cost of everything here in Thailand.  Several of my friends have moved, or are in the process of moving to  other places, some have even returned to the USA.

On 10/14/2019 at 7:23 PM, RotBenz8888 said:

Could? Isn't the economy already impacted?

My daughter who retails and wholesales jewelry that she imports from China says her sales are down 40 to 50% from previous years. Everyone I speak to says "I have no money; everything is too expensive."

I live on Social Security from the USA and the Baht's appreciation the last few years has taken away about 9,000 Baht per month, which is enough to pay all utilities and a good portion of our food costs.

My wife's parents grow 15 rai of rice and they literally end up earning nothing after paying for the tractors, harvesting machine, keeping enough seed for next year, and enough rice to eat for a year.  Farmers are getting hit the worst for sure.

Friends of ours who used to live here in Pattaya,but are now back in the UK living ,come here every 4 or 5 months for a month ,they were saying yesterday how dead everywhere was ,no tourists,and all the places they frequent are so quiet. As to the previous mention of rice farming ,my wife owns about 6 rai of rice fields,,just lets a familly from her village farm them along with their rice fields for free,its not worth the bother for her.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, bhakta said:

All I know is us retired people who live on a limited pension are being slaughtered by the Baht's strength and the cost of everything here in Thailand.  Several of my friends have moved, or are in the process of moving to  other places, some have even returned to the USA.

Returned to the USA.  Good Lord, things must be really bad in LOS!  ????

You are right, things are much more expensive now over time, creeping inflation and exchange rate compounded.

The international banksters know that the Thai morons in charge are appointed, clueless and never had to qualify for their posts. Easy to take advantage.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Archived