A what if question for US military retirees living in Thailand

watgate

I am interested to know what US military retirees would do if eventually ALL foreign retirees, including those with a Non-O retirement visa and annual extensions of stay for retirement  or marriage are forced to get medical insurance. Specifically for US military retirees, if the Thai government says their much better medical insurance (tricare overseas) is no good and they have to buy the Thai companies offerings of health insurance with undoubtedly exclusions for pre-existing conditions. what would US veterans do in this case? Would they buy the Thai health insurance offerings which, because of the pre-existing conditions exclusion would make these policies worthless because you wouldn't be covered for any pre-existing conditions and insurance companies are known for denying claims and attributing it to your pre-existing condition.

Edited by watgate

Basically the same question applies to people like me with world class international insurance and also to people covered by Thai Social Security, which many retirees are. 

Buy a second unnecessary policy, switch to Thai Elite or leave? Those are the choices.

Each person's answer will differ as people have different financial capabilities and different levels of commitment to living in Thailand.

As this is not really a medical issue I am moving to to General forum.

• Like 1

I am a military retiree. I have no real debt to speak of, and me and my Thai wife (who is also a US citizen) have a home in the US. We have decide to adjust the amount of time we spend in Thailand. My pre-existing health conditions would mean paying for a useless insurance policy. TRICARE for Life payments ($260 or 8040 Baht) are deducted monthly from our Social Security--I haven't checked yet but I've yet to read about payment plans from Thai insurance offerings.