Cylinder head gasket

pikao

Hi,

they ruined my car again....impossible to find a mechanic that knows something where I live. Tried them all. This time there was a problem with the diesel pump. Car is a 1999 Toyota Tiger SR 5. They fiddled around with the pump which is still not working properly and for some reason, unknown to me, the took off the  cylinder head and replaced the gasket (which still looks ok to me) with this <deleted> glue. Now the engine runs completly out of round, stops incidentally, which might be due to the pump. My bigger concern is that the gasket which was quite thick, now glue, would reduce the distance between head and block and moving parts could touch. Any  thoughts on that ?

Thanks

I have seen Thais do this before. They did not have a cylinder head gasket and so put the old one back using sealant. AKA a Thai bodge.

Get it to a main Toyota dealer and fit a new head gasket.

As for whatever else is wrong.... you dont provide enough info.

Disagree with the use of main brand dealers.

Especially a 99 SR5 (great truck by the way), a factory trained tech would not know where to start.

Because he has not been taught SR5 or older pre commonrail models.

My suggestion is to speak to the locals in the trade, they will tell you who is the best local mechanic and the best shop.

Every city and large market town has a quality, top independent mechanic.

I'm in Udon province, 80 kms from NK and 80 kms from Udon city.

My nearest market town has an outstanding extremely busy self employed mechanic, who would fix your problems immediately, if you can get here, pm me.

Thank you guys

4 hours ago, sometime said:

Sorry but that's why I only use a main dealer, even if it means a day out or two.

No dealer on the island and I don't want to move the car like this.

4 hours ago, Don Mega said:

What glue was it ?..

No idea, red (sealant)...anyway, no problem to order a gasket if you're not out in the desert or jungle

No offence towards you

3 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Head gasket or valve cover gasket?

I'm not an expert but it's the uppermost cover of the engine (not ???? the air filter) I think head gasket?

3 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

As for whatever else is wrong.... you dont provide enough info.

Not easy. Seems to be a multiple issue

3 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

My suggestion is to speak to the locals in the trade, they will tell you who is the best local mechanic and the best shop.

That's exactly the problem. I know them all apart from one (new one)....and I like the car

3 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Where is the op located?

On Koh Phangan

1 minute ago, pikao said:
4 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Head gasket or valve cover gasket?

I'm not an expert but it's the uppermost cover of the engine (not ???? the air filter) I think head gasket?

Could be valve cover gasket also...not sure

9 hours ago, pikao said:

Thank you guys

No dealer on the island and I don't want to move the car like this.

No idea, red (sealant)...anyway, no problem to order a gasket if you're not out in the desert or jungle

No offence towards you

Not easy. Seems to be a multiple issue

That's exactly the problem. I know them all apart from one (new one)....and I like the car

On Koh Phangan

Perhaps next time find an independent mechanic on the mainland.

By reading your posts it appears also you not mechanically minded, ref cam cover or head removed.

Difficult to sort out in your situation.

Between a rock and a hard place springs to mind.

Or between an island and the mainland in a canoe (SR5) without a paddle......

On 10/15/2019 at 4:22 AM, Don Mega said:

Yeah sounds like he has used red RTV to seal the rocker cover which is fairly common and wont be causing any of your issues.

Can you take a video of the engine running and upload it.

I also think that it's more about the fuel pump or the injectors. I'm just worried to start up the engine as it sounds really bad and shaking a lot. The fuel pump was leaking when I took the car to the shop. Apart from that it was running very smooth.

On 10/15/2019 at 10:18 AM, thaiguzzi said:

By reading your posts it appears also you not mechanically minded, ref cam cover or head removed.

Yes and no. I have a good ear for strange sounds in engines. Not so much when it comes down to technical terms.

It's the rocker (ref cam) cover gasket. Why would you change the gasket ( I have the used part and it looks good to me) when you repair the fuel pump ?  asking

39 minutes ago, pikao said:

I also think that it's more about the fuel pump or the injectors. I'm just worried to start up the engine as it sounds really bad and shaking a lot. The fuel pump was leaking when I took the car to the shop. Apart from that it was running very smooth.

Yes and no. I have a good ear for strange sounds in engines. Not so much when it comes down to technical terms.

It's the rocker (ref cam) cover gasket. Why would you change the gasket ( I have the used part and it looks good to me) when you repair the fuel pump ?  asking

Weeeell, it is always good practice to fit a new gasket, you generally do not need guuuuuu with a new one unless specified......

3 hours ago, pikao said:

Some use RTV on new gaskets, especially on older engine that have tin rocker covers, are you sure no gasket was re-fitted as well ?

Ive no idea why one would pull a rocker cover if problem is pump related unless the cam chain is visible with the cover removed and he need to pin the chain when removing the pump..... Ive no idea on these older tojo engines though.

Archived