State of the Roads Bangkok to Phuket and back

pedro01

Hi All 

I was wondering if anyone had an update on the drive Bangkok to Phuket and back. I know there's been a lot of roadworks on the way down over the past few years. I may do the drive later this week as I'll be there a month. I was specifically interested in:

- How much of the trip is gnarly old dual carriageways with a pot-holed left lane

- How much of it is new, good conditioned roads

- Any areas that get hit with a rush hour (times of day to avoid)

I would like the convenience of having my own car down there but not if it's a white knuckle ride. I do drive to Sakhorn Nakhorn a fair amount and that's about the same distance. 

Thanks

I well remember the bad old road days 20+ years ago. These days I fly Air Asia. But last year we bought a car in Bangkok. Flew up and drove back. Roads were just fine. Mostly good condition.

Bad traffic. Coming out of Bangkok and southern end of Phuket once get near Phuket Town. Rest of drive not bad traffic,

It is not so much the road but the drivers on it!

Truck drivers (probably on amphetamines), I faced two of em coming at me head on as one tried to overtake the other, I went off the road to escape being flattened.

Motorcyclists up country at night with no lights, can even be coming at you on the wrong side of the road.

Farmers who come out of side turnings without looking.

I last did this trip in July. From Bangkok on down (although I came from Kanchanaburi) there were NO roadworks on the main highway- 4 or 41. From Surat Thani there are still about 2 km of roadworks around Ta Khun on the 401, which seem to have been going on for years. The 415 is currently being upgraded from wide single carriage way to dual carriage way but i encountered no delays (its always been a quick road), They have started from the south end (Tha Put) and were upgrading about 20km so far. 

Avoid the alternate of coming through Rayong- it was a nightmare when I drove it last year but that was in the dark in a rainstorm. 

On 10/15/2019 at 8:39 AM, madmitch said:

Agree with LIK. The road between Phangnga and Suratthani is improving every time I use it. Plenty of two lane in each direction sections now but still a lot of roadworks.

i drove that 2 days ago and now there is a lot of road works, i'd say at least 10 miles or more is been dug up.

and surat to chumpon has gone back to the way it was before the resurfacing, very bumpy now. 

Hwy 44 is a fast freeway section from nr Surat Thani   to Krabi ( tho I would recommending taking the right turn onto the 4197 and then  left onto the 415 to Na Nuea .

But I drove the 44 recently and felt it had deteriorated , theres sections now you have to watch closely if you value your tyres. Best google the shortcut I mentioned ...

On 10/15/2019 at 7:36 PM, Psimbo said:

Avoid the alternate of coming through Rayong- it was a nightmare when I drove it last year but that was in the dark in a rainstorm. 

RaNong* Not RaYong  (Different province) 

Agree. If go to Phuket from Bkk, better go Surat way. Not Ranong way. 

Because road better on east coast. Ranong road difficult/dangerous.

I think plane better for this trip. Safer, have lot of truck.

Plane so cheap now. Hire car in Phuket about 750 per day if need it. 

The road ok Surat way.

10 hours ago, Yinn said:

RaNong* Not RaYong  (Different province) 

Agree. If go to Phuket from Bkk, better go Surat way. Not Ranong way. 

Because road better on east coast. Ranong road difficult/dangerous.

I think plane better for this trip. Safer, have lot of truck.

Plane so cheap now. Hire car in Phuket about 750 per day if need it. 

The road ok Surat way.

I always get the two the wrong way round even when I specifically try not to.

Some of us have valid reasons for driving and a plane is not always the solution.

Drive defensively the whole time and its not a issue. I have been driving this route for 15 years without any problems other than the flooding in PKK last year which delayed me by an hour.

Archived