Leaving with an under consideration stamp

I am thinking of trying to get a 1 year marriage extension.  I would need to apply at the end of November. My current stay is valid until December 9th. I need to leave the country and head to China for a week or two from  December 7. My question would be if I am successful with my extension and get an under consideration stamp can I leave Thailand during that time and what if anything would I need to do to keep everything valid?

Yes you can. I did it myself just recently. Get yourself a re-entry permit either at your local IO office or at the airport just prior to immigration control. (copy of passport, photo and an application form is required. Oh and 1,000 Baht!)

On your return, point out, very clearly to the IO that you have that stamp in your passport, and you'll be granted permission to remain until your consideration date expires. Don't just assume that they'll spot it. Mistakes can happen.

Have a great trip to China. I've had some wonderful times there in the past.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hi!

I have a related question that no one at my office seems to know the answer to.

I'm currently on a non-immigrant "O" visa and my current visa expires Jan 30. So I went to the immigration office on Jan 9 to apply for an extension, paid the 1900 baht, and they put the "under consideration" stamp in my passport and told me to come back to the office in person on Feb 14...only issue is I finish my internship and leave Thailand on Feb 13, the day before. I'm going back to Canada and not coming back to Thailand.

So I'm wondering if I don't go to immigration on the 14 (which I cant because I'll be in Canada), will this cause issues when I'm at the airport at the immigration desk? If I don't show up at immigration on Feb 14 and technically don't get the official extension stamp in my passport, does this mean I will have been overstaying since Jan 30 and am subject to the overstay fee for those 14 days, or will they just cancel my extension application at the airport and let me leave with no issues and no fine?

I hope this makes sense, but basically I am asking if anyone knows if I can leave Thailand for good while my visa extension application is "under consideration" and not get fined?

Any advice would be much appreciated! I'm very confused and also an unpaid intern who can't afford a 7,000 baht fine.

Thanks! :)