Unveiling government plan, Queen says priority is to exit EU on Oct. 31

snoop1130

Unveiling government plan, Queen says priority is to exit EU on Oct. 31

8921.PNG

Britain's Queen Elizabeth arrives at the State Opening of Parliament in London, Britain October 14, 2019. REUTERS/Toby Melville/Pool

LONDON (Reuters) - The priority of Britain’s government is to leave the European Union on Oct. 31, Queen Elizabeth said on Monday, setting out Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s programme for a country deeply divided over Brexit.

In a speech to parliament, which sets out the legislative agenda for the government, the queen set out Johnson’s plan to “work towards a new partnership with the European Union, based on free trade and friendly cooperation”.

But with an election on the horizon, many of his other measures, which see increased spending on the health service and tougher sentencing for serious offenders, are unlikely to pass through parliament, making the speech more of a warm-up for the new poll.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-10-14

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

The expression on Price Charles face says it all.

He cares about his country.  She will feel the same I'm sure, but she has no choice over this.  She should send some people to The Tower.  It's been a while since we have had a public execution and Cummings would definitely cry for the crowd.  Boris too.

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

Produce a brexit deal that can pass in parliament or an extension and johnson can have his election. 

Very unlikely.  Britain is broken , beyond repair . 

1 hour ago, JAG said:

Perhaps an election is needed then - to establish a government as it were?

Corbyn ,  does not want an election ,  establish  a new Goverment ,  out of a total shambles .

Who in their right mind would ?. 

take out the Brexit stuff as it might not happen, there was some "better late than never" bills proposed in the speech added by the Tories in an attempt to make them more electable and they can blame the others parties for killing them off, but then other parties in voting down the Queens speech could highlight a lot of what was in the Queens speech promising to reintroduce in their own QS if elected to govern, pointing out the Tories were the wrong party to introduce it, much of which the Tories must be hoping would fail anyway.

I mean do you really think the Tories are serious about raising taxes to fund care for the elderly who can not afford private care???

9 hours ago, elliss said:

Very unlikely.  Britain is broken , beyond repair . 

Luckily your defeatist attitude is not shared by most.

All we need is a way around the Benn (Dover) surrender act and we can get back to self governance on November 1st. 

Luckily your defeatist attitude is not shared by most.

All we need is a way around the Benn (Dover) surrender act and we can get back to self governance on November 1st. 
Do you really believe that? Support for Scottish independence is now around 50%, and the last poll I saw showed support for remaining in the EU at 74%.
There are many more people than just me who are actively contributing, financially and otherwise, to extract Scotland from the UK. The momentum is well and truly with us; the UK is doomed.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

12 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Shouldn’t that be minority government...

The Queen's speech sets out the legislative plans and agenda for the government in the new Parliament session. The size of majority, or lack of, is irrelevant to this speech.

2 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

The Queen's speech sets out the legislative plans and agenda for the government in the new Parliament session. The size of majority, or lack of, is irrelevant to this speech.

Correct, but the leaked plans to introduce a photo ID requirement in order to vote reveal an intention to disenfranchise voters.

31 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Do you really believe that? Support for Scottish independence is now around 50%, and the last poll I saw showed support for remaining in the EU at 74%.
There are many more people than just me who are actively contributing, financially and otherwise, to extract Scotland from the UK. The momentum is well and truly with us; the UK is doomed.

Dream on! It isn't and will never be Scotland's unilateral decision. Only the whole UK can make a decision that affects the whole of the UK. 

Tail wagging the dog doesn't work when push comes to shove.

16 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

I disagree, in that I feel that the failure of this govt to command a majority should be noted

33 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

We'll have to see what happens with Scotland, I would prefer them to stay but if they choose to leave the UK and go with the EU instead then that is a decision for the Scottish and I (unlike many Remainers re. Brexit) would respect their vote if they chose to leave. Personally I think they would be very foolish to do so, but to call it "Scottish independence" is a bit misleading if they are immediately going to try and rejoin the EU - that's hardly independent is it?

I am not sure what terms the EU would offer Scotland to join after the UK has left, but with the EU's current economic struggles and with Scotland being a much smaller economy than the UK I'd imagine the terms wouldn't be as good as the UK currently has and the EU is no charity, they'd want their pound of flesh from you so be careful what you wish for.

The UK will not be doomed if the Scottish leave, any more than the EU is doomed when the UK leaves. 

21 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Dream on! It isn't and will never be Scotland's unilateral decision. Only the whole UK can make a decision that affects the whole of the UK. 

Does Scotland belong to England, rather than a union?

Didn't the UK unilaterally decide to leave a union.

30 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Of course it is. How can any government justify a Queen's speech when it does not command a majority to enact the legislation being proposed.

Johnson is desperate for an election and the speech should have been left until that had happened. In reality the speech was only part of a plan to shut down parliament, cancelling the speech would have been an admission of guilt. People should remember at one point he suggested an election on the 14th Oct.

Wonder what expression Charles will have next time round.

12 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Produce a brexit deal that can pass in parliament or an extension and johnson can have his election. 

It is not Mr Johnson's election, nor is it the election granted by Parliament (or more accurately perhaps by the alliance of the opposition and the Tory rebels) it is the election which belongs to the British electorate. You are effectively saying that the British electorate can have an election once the demands of that group within parliament are satisfied. A group which were elected on manifesto pledges, passed legislation, and are now cytnically reneging on both those manifesto pledges and that legislation.

44 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

And an election will confirm or deny those opinions. If an election returns an overwhelming mandate from within Scotland for independence, then fine, so be it, "extract yourselves from the UK". If an election returns a government with a mandate to remain in the EU then so be it, the UK remains in the EU. If an election produces a mandate to leave the EU, then the UK leaves the EU. If subsequently a newly independent Scotland wishes to join the EU then fine, fill your boots. 

The Queen's Speech has put forward the Governments intended programme, Brexit is a major part of that, perhaps the major part of it, but by no means the only part. If Parliament rejects that government programme then their should be a general election, to resolve the question. That general election should not be in the gift of the Squeaker and any alliance he has cobbled together with his pals.

Personally I think that October the 31st is probably an unattainable deadline. I don't think it actually matters, in fact, as someone who wishes for the UK to leave the EU I suspect that the undemocratic and unconstitutional shenanigans being employed  to prevent it will ultimately favour the case to leave. I am also ambivalent on the question of Scottish independence. I have said before, there is a strong lobby in Scottish politics for independence and if they are able to convince the Scottish people of it, then off you go. The same is true of the future of Northern Ireland. I do want to see a government which is proven, by election, to reflect the will of the people, and which is able to legislate and govern accordingly. As an Englishman, if the other three constituent countries of the United Kingdom decide that they will be better off outside, then it is up to them. I think that they are probably wrong, but never mind. The only thing I will say, is that I don't think England should subsidise them once they are independent - but that is an argument for another day.

Anyway, to return to my main point, the case for an election is unassailable, and should not be qualified by doing anything in order to "earn the right to be granted one".

44 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Scotland is a sovereign nation in its own right. The opinions of our neighbours, while noted, will not decide the course Scotland decides to take for itself.

There was no vote in the rest of the UK when Scotland joined and there will be no vote there if/when Scotland decides to have another referendum.

52 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

So why was the UK allowed to make a decision to leave the EU when that will affect the whole EU then ?

What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander....

18 minutes ago, JAG said:

It is not Mr Johnson's election, nor is it the election granted by Parliament (or more accurately perhaps by the alliance of the opposition and the Tory rebels) it is the election which belongs to the British electorate. You are effectively saying that the British electorate can have an election once the demands of that group within parliament are satisfied. A group which were elected on manifesto pledges, passed legislation, and are now cytnically reneging on both those manifesto pledges and that legislation.

It's johnson who wanted an election after he lost his majority.

It's not me who said it, it's the democratically elected opposition in Parliament...

Archived