Unveiling government plan, Queen says priority is to exit EU on Oct. 31

snoop1130

2 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Is the implication re: Article 51 that the 'threat' of legal consequences against the PM should he not send the letter is sufficient to invalidate the letter because he would be acting under duress? 

I believe so RR, If I understand the Benn act correctly BJ in effect is 'walking the plank'.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Slip said:

He cares about his country.  She will feel the same I'm sure, but she has no choice over this.  She should send some people to The Tower.  It's been a while since we have had a public execution and Cummings would definitely cry for the crowd.  Boris too.

Why? For giving the people what they voted for?? I thought that was democracy.

15 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

The expression on Prince Charles face says it all.

ooops, and I thought that Prince Philip looks sprucely for his age ... 
but I am not from the UK and possibly will be forgiven.

1 hour ago, JAG said:

An election will be allowed once certain conditions have been met?

I am reluctant to draw the comparison, but a number of posters on TVF (you and me both perhaps) commented unfavourably on the reluctance of the previous government here in Thailand to allow an election until certain parameters had been established and conditions met. It is not a direct comparison, nevertheless...

Difference being, the UK Parliament is a democratically elected one.

1 hour ago, JAG said:

What an absolute brahma of an idea - we can have ab election and let the citizens choose their government!

There was a election, and there is an act of Parliament governing when the next election is due together with the circumstances under which the term of an elected Government can be brought to an earlier close.

Foresight excluded the PM choosing the term of a Parliament.

3 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Do you really believe that? Support for Scottish independence is now around 50%, and the last poll I saw showed support for remaining in the EU at 74%.
There are many more people than just me who are actively contributing, financially and otherwise, to extract Scotland from the UK. The momentum is well and truly with us; the UK is doomed.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I'm English and I'd like to contribute financially to get rid of Scotland. Can't stand the whinging.

1 hour ago, Basil B said:

The Queens speech is irreverent anyway, wast of her time, wast of money for the days pomp and ceremonies that will be repeated in a few weeks when we rid ourselves of this incompetent Tory ERG government and Buffoon of a PM...

...and replace it with... with... ummm.... er..?

When Corbyn opened with the fact that the Tories have a majority of minus 45 and a 100% success rate when it comes to parliamentary defeats, the first question that sprung to my mind was how, as a leader of a once powerful and historically significant opposition party, could you let the 'farce' of a Conservative government happen on your watch?

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

What? No desperate, last-ditch Remainer's clamour for a people's vote to ratify the deal?

Hold on till I get my tape recorder.

I have never called for another vote. Please quote the post you have based your misleading statement upon. 

5 hours ago, Basil B said:

take out the Brexit stuff as it might not happen, there was some "better late than never" bills proposed in the speech added by the Tories in an attempt to make them more electable and they can blame the others parties for killing them off, but then other parties in voting down the Queens speech could highlight a lot of what was in the Queens speech promising to reintroduce in their own QS if elected to govern, pointing out the Tories were the wrong party to introduce it, much of which the Tories must be hoping would fail anyway.

I mean do you really think the Tories are serious about raising taxes to fund care for the elderly who can not afford private care???

The Queen's speech was little more than an election campaign speech by the Tories who do indeed expect to get much of it's pledges killed off.   Typical of Johnson and his gang to promise much knowing they won't be in a position to deliver it.

However there seems to be a glimmer of a hope of a deal and that is surely a step in the right direction.  Let's just see how many more concessions Boris is prepared to make to get a deal agreed.

25 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

The Queen's speech was little more than an election campaign speech by the Tories who do indeed expect to get much of it's pledges killed off.   Typical of Johnson and his gang to promise much knowing they won't be in a position to deliver it. ...

The Queen's Speech is and forever has been simply the manifesto of ANY elected government uttered royally. The Remainer's pathetic attempts to make it look like some sort of unconstitutional and illegal manipulation of the monarchy by ANY Prime Minister is playing to the ignorance of the masses. You know, like the ones they say that voted to leave?

Oh, wait...

25 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

... However there seems to be a glimmer of a hope of a deal and that is surely a step in the right direction.  Let's just see how many more concessions Boris is prepared to make to get a deal agreed.

It does indeed seem to be more like 2 steps forward and 1 step back as they huddle with the EUrocrats. Must be serious stuff as Hammond and Major have stopped waffling and even the 2-strike Miss Millar has gone below periscope depth.

This is pretty good as an Idiot's Guide to the Benn Act. Pay attention, there will be a test on this!

NB: Note the two very important assumptions in the bottom right (small print).

benn-act-and-brexit-scenarios.thumb.png.aae11e6fd5a4874338d958068b73492b.png

I was born in London in 1944 with a French parachutist father, murdered by the militiamen a little before my birth, and a French mother too.
So I have two passports and although more French by culture, the UK has always been, in my dreams, the country I admired the most in the world.
Its culture its customs even its inhabitants, lol, it seemed to me that no country in the world did look like it and especially did not have the high class of the kingdom.
And today it's hard to say how sad I am about everything that happens there.

4 hours ago, JAG said:

It is not Mr Johnson's election, nor is it the election granted by Parliament (or more accurately perhaps by the alliance of the opposition and the Tory rebels) it is the election which belongs to the British electorate.

The electorate is not entitled to an election until 2022. Any election before that is dependent on those that sit in the HOC.

4 hours ago, baansgr said:

Coalition, the correct phrase

No it is not, minority government is correct.

There is no coalition with the DUP, it is a "Confidence & Supply" agreement. Only applies to budget and brexit issues, everything else is a case by case basis.

3 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Is the implication re: Article 51 that the 'threat' of legal consequences against the PM should he not send the letter is sufficient to invalidate the letter because he would be acting under duress? 

The court was told the government would comply, telling porkies to the court will only ever be seen as self inflicted duress.

"On Monday, Lord Pentland said the UK government had accepted it would "comply fully" with the Benn Act, and that there was "no proper basis" on which the court could decide that it would not." https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-49975066

Should the government fail to comply then the court will revisit the issue.

"He said the "normal course" would be to dismiss the petition, but this would leave little time for the campaigners to lodge a new one in the event of Mr Johnson refusing to comply with the Benn Act.

The judges therefore continued the case until 21 October, because "the position ought to be significantly clearer" by then." https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-49975066

38 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The court was told the government would comply, telling porkies to the court will only ever be seen as self inflicted duress.

"On Monday, Lord Pentland said the UK government had accepted it would "comply fully" with the Benn Act, and that there was "no proper basis" on which the court could decide that it would not." https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-49975066

Should the government fail to comply then the court will revisit the issue.

"He said the "normal course" would be to dismiss the petition, but this would leave little time for the campaigners to lodge a new one in the event of Mr Johnson refusing to comply with the Benn Act.

The judges therefore continued the case until 21 October, because "the position ought to be significantly clearer" by then." https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-49975066

The quoted convention seemingly renders the above irrelevant although my gut feeling is that BJ is trying to put lipstick on a pig by re-hashing May's BRINO.

(I'll keep looking ????)

7 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Luckily your defeatist attitude is not shared by most.

All we need is a way around the Benn (Dover) surrender act and we can get back to self governance on November 1st. 

And turn the clock back to the days of public executions. This may not be a bad idea. Britain could start fresh without the likes of Boris, Cummings et al.

4 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Do 'we'? What have 'we' won, because more than half the voters in Scotland don't feel like winners at the moment? 

so vote to leave ,then lose all the money you get from parliament ,like free prescriptions,free university ,free bridge tolls ,free personal care ,regardless of age  means tested council tax where 500,000 lower income get it free oh and i forgot free dentistry . 

so go on vote to leave and be free ,doubt all the freebies will be in the future though .

now while saying that i have nothing against the Scots ,or the Irish who get free water ,free prescriptions ,or the Welsh who get them free as well ,only England has to pay .

43 minutes ago, Letseng said:

And turn the clock back to the days of public executions. This may not be a bad idea. Britain could start fresh without the likes of Boris, Cummings et al.

Ooohh, steady on there. I was more thinking about stocks on the village green and being pelted with rotten veg or the dunking stool in the village pond maybe.

26 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

so vote to leave ,then lose all the money you get from parliament ,like free prescriptions,free university ,free bridge tolls ,free personal care ,regardless of age  means tested council tax where 500,000 lower income get it free oh and i forgot free dentistry . 

so go on vote to leave and be free ,doubt all the freebies will be in the future though .

now while saying that i have nothing against the Scots ,or the Irish who get free water ,free prescriptions ,or the Welsh who get them free as well ,only England has to pay .

Maybe take that up with your local, English member of parliament?

Archived