Jump to content
BANGKOK
snoop1130

Unveiling government plan, Queen says priority is to exit EU on Oct. 31

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

The Queen's speech was little more than an election campaign speech by the Tories who do indeed expect to get much of it's pledges killed off.   Typical of Johnson and his gang to promise much knowing they won't be in a position to deliver it. ...

The Queen's Speech is and forever has been simply the manifesto of ANY elected government uttered royally. The Remainer's pathetic attempts to make it look like some sort of unconstitutional and illegal manipulation of the monarchy by ANY Prime Minister is playing to the ignorance of the masses. You know, like the ones they say that voted to leave?

 

Oh, wait...

 

25 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

... However there seems to be a glimmer of a hope of a deal and that is surely a step in the right direction.  Let's just see how many more concessions Boris is prepared to make to get a deal agreed.

It does indeed seem to be more like 2 steps forward and 1 step back as they huddle with the EUrocrats. Must be serious stuff as Hammond and Major have stopped waffling and even the 2-strike Miss Millar has gone below periscope depth.

 

This is pretty good as an Idiot's Guide to the Benn Act. Pay attention, there will be a test on this!

 

NB: Note the two very important assumptions in the bottom right (small print).

 

benn-act-and-brexit-scenarios.thumb.png.aae11e6fd5a4874338d958068b73492b.png

Edited by NanLaew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

More brexitocracy hyperbole 

Lol; In your desperation you failed to consider the decades by which the legislation you think you have ridiculed preceded the Brexit vote 🤣

Edited by evadgib

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JAG said:

It is not Mr Johnson's election, nor is it the election granted by Parliament (or more accurately perhaps by the alliance of the opposition and the Tory rebels) it is the election which belongs to the British electorate.

The electorate is not entitled to an election until 2022. Any election before that is dependent on those that sit in the HOC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, baansgr said:

Coalition, the correct phrase

No it is not, minority government is correct.

There is no coalition with the DUP, it is a "Confidence & Supply" agreement. Only applies to budget and brexit issues, everything else is a case by case basis.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Is the implication re: Article 51 that the 'threat' of legal consequences against the PM should he not send the letter is sufficient to invalidate the letter because he would be acting under duress? 

The court was told the government would comply, telling porkies to the court will only ever be seen as self inflicted duress.

 

"On Monday, Lord Pentland said the UK government had accepted it would "comply fully" with the Benn Act, and that there was "no proper basis" on which the court could decide that it would not." https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-49975066

 

Should the government fail to comply then the court will revisit the issue.

 

"He said the "normal course" would be to dismiss the petition, but this would leave little time for the campaigners to lodge a new one in the event of Mr Johnson refusing to comply with the Benn Act.

The judges therefore continued the case until 21 October, because "the position ought to be significantly clearer" by then." https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-49975066

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Good to have you on side! I'll DM you my SCB number 🤣

You got there first, I was intending to write the same thing. Mind if I have a share? I'd prefer it in Bhats to my Thai bank account if that's all ok!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The court was told the government would comply, telling porkies to the court will only ever be seen as self inflicted duress.

 

"On Monday, Lord Pentland said the UK government had accepted it would "comply fully" with the Benn Act, and that there was "no proper basis" on which the court could decide that it would not." https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-49975066

 

Should the government fail to comply then the court will revisit the issue.

 

"He said the "normal course" would be to dismiss the petition, but this would leave little time for the campaigners to lodge a new one in the event of Mr Johnson refusing to comply with the Benn Act.

The judges therefore continued the case until 21 October, because "the position ought to be significantly clearer" by then." https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-49975066

The quoted convention seemingly renders the above irrelevant although my gut feeling is that BJ is trying to put lipstick on a pig by re-hashing May's BRINO.

 

(I'll keep looking 😎)

Edited by evadgib

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like its finally happening despite the douchebags trying to overturn it.

God save this lovely lady.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Luckily your defeatist attitude is not shared by most.

 

All we need is a way around the Benn (Dover) surrender act and we can get back to self governance on November 1st. 

And turn the clock back to the days of public executions. This may not be a bad idea. Britain could start fresh without the likes of Boris, Cummings et al.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Do 'we'? What have 'we' won, because more than half the voters in Scotland don't feel like winners at the moment? 

so vote to leave ,then lose all the money you get from parliament ,like free prescriptions,free university ,free bridge tolls ,free personal care ,regardless of age  means tested council tax where 500,000 lower income get it free oh and i forgot free dentistry . 

so go on vote to leave and be free ,doubt all the freebies will be in the future though .

now while saying that i have nothing against the Scots ,or the Irish who get free water ,free prescriptions ,or the Welsh who get them free as well ,only England has to pay .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sandyf said:

There is no coalition with the DUP, it is a "Confidence & Supply" agreement.

Semantics.

 

Personally, I prefer the old, "You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours."

Edited by NanLaew
sp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Letseng said:

And turn the clock back to the days of public executions. This may not be a bad idea. Britain could start fresh without the likes of Boris, Cummings et al.

 

Ooohh, steady on there. I was more thinking about stocks on the village green and being pelted with rotten veg or the dunking stool in the village pond maybe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

so vote to leave ,then lose all the money you get from parliament ,like free prescriptions,free university ,free bridge tolls ,free personal care ,regardless of age  means tested council tax where 500,000 lower income get it free oh and i forgot free dentistry . 

so go on vote to leave and be free ,doubt all the freebies will be in the future though .

now while saying that i have nothing against the Scots ,or the Irish who get free water ,free prescriptions ,or the Welsh who get them free as well ,only England has to pay .

 

Maybe take that up with your local, English member of parliament?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Maybe take that up with your local, English member of parliament?

Ime not English ,ime one of the other ones😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...