BANGKOK
DanFromHawaii

Bringing a range/oven to Thailand

My (Thai) wife and I intend to buy a house in Bangkok soon. We intend to buy one with enough room in one of the kitchens to add a standard 30-inch gas oven. In reading the forums, it looks like conversion kits for Imperial-to-metric fittings for the natural gas will be no problem. The only electricity needed will be for the controls (not the elements). So.... definitive answer from someone who knows, please

1. Although we can change the 220V to 110V with a converter plug, the controls and readout will still be running on 50Khz. Will this harm the oven? 

2. I'm bringing my new large Samsung TV because Samsung explicitly states (in a conversation) that the TV is 50/60 Khz and will automatically switch cycles. Is anyone aware of an oven that will do that? 

Oven-225x225.jpg

Moving to electrical forum for focussed response.

I'm bringing a container of my personal household goods through Bangkok port so it will all come through Customs, clothes, furniture, possessions, etc. I'm assuming the oven would just be another piece of something I own. 

I would "readily" purchase this range in Bangkok, but I get the impression from many other posters that an stove/oven "range" like in my picture is difficult or impossible to find. If they can be found, where? That would save the electrical conversion problem. 

There will be a conversion required from natural gas to LPG.  If that needs a "kit", best get that in the states.

• Like 2

They can be found but the oven will be electric...never seen a gas oven here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Gas ovens certainly exist here both professional and domestic, we have a gas cooker with 3 rings and an oven. If you can get high end ovens that get built into kitchen cabinets I don't know.

Well i guess the bakeries also use gas ovens but those don't fit under the kitchen counter.

Electric ovens are not as good as gas but the big advantage is that they are more safe....when you forget to turn off the gas oven it will burn the whole kitchen down, the electric one will go off by the timer.

There's a farang selling/making real bbq's in thailand....they have a lid so can be used as an oven....but they are not cheap.

8 hours ago, DanFromHawaii said:

it looks like conversion kits for Imperial-to-metric fittings for the natural gas will be no problem

Be careful, there are different types of "natural gas" requiring different burners. This varies from country to country. Using the wrong ones can have explosive consequences.

I would consult an expert beforehand.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Electric ovens are not as good as gas but the big advantage is that they are more safe....when you forget to turn off the gas oven it will burn the whole kitchen down, the electric one will go off by the timer.

There's a farang selling/making real bbq's in thailand....they have a lid so can be used as an oven....but they are not cheap.

Humm. Most cooks I know and have read all prefer electric ovens in a domestic kitchen, so there's a bit of a difference of opinion there. 

The BBQ is made near me in Udon and we managed to get a reasonable deal from someone selling a lightly used one, but even new some are in the same price range as a quality oven starting at about 20k 

They also have custom made gas counter top ovens though the style is a bit steam punk

IMG_8518.JPG.73c529f5121c3987592a198d72014396.JPG

Edited by sometimewoodworker

5 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Humm. Most cooks I know and have read all prefer electric ovens in a domestic kitchen, so there's a bit of a difference of opinion there. 

The BBQ is made near me in Udon and we managed to get a reasonable deal from someone selling a lightly used one, but even new some are in the same price range as a quality oven starting at about 20k 

They also have custom made gas counter top ovens though the style is a bit steam punk

I have contacted that farang with the bbq company but they were all 40.000+ .....

Myself i also prefer an electric oven in the kitchen although a gas one is better...this is thailand, my wife is also thai.....

I remember when i brought an electric deepfry pan, my wife's friend came walking into the livingroom to show me the french fries IN the hot pan to ask if they were done already...she walked the hot pan all through the house and didn't know the basket can be lifted....

So i would also go for an electric oven (i have one) but it's a combi oven on the countertop. If you build a new house you should also make a special group with breaker ONLY for the oven....and use good quality wiring (thai yazaki). I've seen wall outlets burning out from a simpel electric oven in Thailand....also extensioncords can't handle it.

Another possibility is to have the gas oven outside the house in the garden somewhere....then a grill with lid would be great.

Just go to the shops who supply the restaurants, they are everywhere and also have second hand stuff.

Aloha!  

Don’t bring the oven over, not worth the hassle. As for the BBQ, Joe apparently has great stuff. 

IMG_8518.JPG.73c529f5121c3987592a198d72014396.JPGhit 

This oven looks like a made in Thailand model...i would never buy one like this..will the gasline get hot?? And what's that pipe made of? Stainless steel? Why not copper?? And what are those red valves? Are they certified and from a real brand?  How can you control the temp in this one? I don't see a knob where one can set the temp....I see teflon tape to keep the gas in, that will melt if it gets hot.....and those valves can easy snap of if you hit them....and what if the connection copper (valve) to stainless steel gets warm? Will both materials expand the same way or will it start leaking gas?

What a stupid oven this is.

I have a stainless bbq on gas, made in Thailand....it also has many issues but i still haven't found a real one (from abroad), i only use it outdoors...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

I have contacted that farang with the bbq company but they were all 40.000+ .....

Maybe a different company.

IMG_8519.PNG.cb8caeb7d06e4cd7bfbe71954676c581.PNG

IMG_8520.PNG.ac25885f1b03ac4aeef645a7a47ec174.PNG

41 minutes ago, fruitman said:

what's that pipe made of? Stainless steel? Why not copper??

Does it matter? Does it make any difference?

will the gasline get hot??

They use LPG not gasoline and a plastic supply hose, so the answer is no

And what are those red valves? Are they certified and from a real brand?

They look to be gas control valves to me. I don't know that I've seen certified valves anywhere. Certainly none of the equipment fitted to my BBQ has failed 

.I see teflon tape to keep the gas in, that will melt if it gets hot

Yes it will but at 326 degrees C you wouldn't want your hands to be anywhere near those pipes 

What a stupid oven this is.

I never said anything other than a gas ovens are available in Thailand and gave an example since you said that you had never seen them.

if you don't like it don't buy it.

I also would only use an oven outdoors as I don't see any benefit to using AC to cool down the house only to have an oven heat it up.

Edited by sometimewoodworker