American Electronics that will work in Thailand

DanFromHawaii

1 hour ago, RocketDog said:

Since USB is power limited to 5v @ either 1/2 or 1A, that is at most a 5W iron. Not too useful for all but the most delicate electronics work in my experience. For printed circuit board work I like 50W irons with a temperature control. For desoldering components a significant amount of heat is required.

But hey, if it works for you it's a great idea. Thanks.

USBC isn't limited to 5v/1a, It's using 9v/2a and outputs 18 watts on the ts80, it does 400 Celsius max temp

However the Ts100 has DC input and does a max output of 65 watts, it goes up to 450 celsius with customized firmware and barely drops 10 degrees while using - it's actually really good.

The thing what makes me use it however is the formfactor, its perfect in your hand and my hakko is just really bulky and annoying after a while ???? 

3 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

USBC isn't limited to 5v/1a, It's using 9v/2a and outputs 18 watts on the ts80, it does 400 Celsius max temp

However the Ts100 has DC input and does a max output of 65 watts, it goes up to 450 celsius with customized firmware and barely drops 10 degrees while using - it's actually really good.

The thing what makes me use it however is the formfactor, its perfect in your hand and my hakko is just really bulky and annoying after a while ???? 

Ah yes. USBC is a different matter. Common for cell phone fast charging, etc. Very good.

I prefer pencil irons for SMD components as well, but desoldering using braid is difficult with a small iron. Heating the backside of the board with a hair dryer, near the melting point of tin/lead solder (I viscerally despise no lead solder) greatly helps this. Soldering one lead at a time on SMD ICs is easy with a small iron though. Never tried a USB iron but 18W sounds like enough. Didn't actually know such were available.

Fortunately (unfortunately) my circuit board days are over after 55 years, so mostly I'm doing small repairs and such with larger irons.

My eyes aren't up to microelectronics even with a head loop now. My days with electronics started with vacuum tubes and half-watt resistors and paper caps so I'm happy/sad to be leaving the field. Now I'm learning baking and cooking, beer brewing, gardening, harmonica and other pursuits between my beach days.

Times they are a changin' and I'm just along for the ride now.

Thanks for the info.

Archived