China Chamber of Commerce opens in Sihanoukville

geovalin

Aiming to boost trade and facilitate investment, a new China Chamber of Commerce opened in Sihanoukville last week.

The new Chinese chamber of commerce is located inside the Sihanoukville Special Economic Zone (SSEZ) and is led by SSEZ president Chen Jiangang, who has been appointed president of the chamber. Ith Samheng, the Minister of Labour and Vocational Training, hailed the move and said the new chamber will strengthen trade ties between the countries and encourage more Chinese investment in the Kingdom’s coastal areas.

“The chamber of commerce will play an important role in improving the business environment, and promoting Cambodia to Chinese investors interested in the Kingdom,” Minister Samheng said during the chamber’s launch on Friday. He noted that the establishment of a China Chamber of Commerce in the province points to growing confidence among foreign investors in the Kingdom’s market.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50651144/china-chamber-of-commerce-opens-in-sihanoukville/

I have just returned from Phnom Penh which is now fast becoming "Chinazised" as well. Many areas under demolition with many new construction sites for tower block hotels, apartments, retail businesses and corporate offices - all Chinese of course! There is a massive shopping and entertainment complex being built - "The Princess Plaza". Traffic is horrendous as many construction vehicles block the roads surrounding such sites. 

7 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

I have just returned from Phnom Penh which is now fast becoming "Chinazised" as well. Many areas under demolition with many new construction sites for tower block hotels, apartments, retail businesses and corporate offices - all Chinese of course! There is a massive shopping and entertainment complex being built - "The Princess Plaza". Traffic is horrendous as many construction vehicles block the roads surrounding such sites. 

What a shame, the Phnom Penh I visited years ago albeit run down and poverty stricken used to have charm and character. Not for much longer it seems.

7 minutes ago, NightSky said:

What a shame, the Phnom Penh I visited years ago albeit run down and poverty stricken used to have charm and character. Not for much longer it seems.

Yes indeed. Many of the quieter tree lined side streets have become "rat runs" for traffic trying to avoid the blocked main roads, especially during commuter hours. One of my favorite Khmer family run BBQ beef restaurants near my hotel, which was always busy, has been demolished and is currently a steel frame under construction - I was gobsmacked!

Archived