Humane Gecko Trap

WayneJ

Discovered this by accident but it's been quite effective.  Put about 1/2" of honey in the bottle.  Probably don't need a cap.  Place bottle in a dish of water to keep the ants away.  The geckos easily jump from the wall to the bottle.  They become mired in the honey and cannot climb back out.  Dump them outside in the morning.

I've heard Thais say it's good luck to have a gecko in the house but when one jumped off the kitchen table into my lap I said enough is enough!

IMG_1995.JPG

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, grollies said:

Jeez, you want to start trapping jinjoks? Why? Do you know how many bugs they eat? Tokays are even better, we've loads around the outside of the house. A jinjok in the lap is no big deal, I note you are averse to catching ants....get a life.

Last week we had one in the bathroom with diarrhea, it was all over the wall.....he was sitting on the shampoo bottle and got wet when i showered..but it was so sick it couldn't even climb the wall anymore.

We also have them in the sliding doors, sometimes a crushed jinjok falls down when we open the door. They  

18 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Last week we had one in the bathroom with diarrhea, it was all over the wall.....he was sitting on the shampoo bottle and got wet when i showered..but it was so sick it couldn't even climb the wall anymore.

We also have them in the sliding doors, sometimes a crushed jinjok falls down when we open the door. They  

geckos cant climb with wet feet/ wet wall 

Edited by pommyBrexitBarstool
  • Like 2

that sticky stuff they wrap around a stick to catch flies also catches geckos. i find that sad as it messes up their climbing feet

more geckos/jinjocks/tokays the better as far as i am concerned. never had the diarrhea on the walls. big ones tokays dont come inside, ok have seen one inside behind a picture in the hotel entrance hall. didnt last long the staff got to it after they saw me looking at it. they are worth money. small ones only <deleted> little insignificant bricks

Edited by pommyBrexitBarstool
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, giddyup said:

One of the cruellest ways to dispose of anything. You have to be a real sadist to use those.

Says a bloke who almost certainly eats animals that have had their throats cut, fish that have died in pain and stress and chickens that have head the heads ripped off. People are such hypocrites when it comes to animal welfare.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Says a bloke who almost certainly eats animals that have had their throats cut, fish that have died in pain and stress and chickens that have head the heads ripped off. People are such hypocrites when it comes to animal welfare.

Is that how you justify your cruel and inhumane method of disposing of jingjoks?

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, giddyup said:

One of the cruellest ways to dispose of anything. You have to be a real sadist to use those.

Kill for food, kill if animal attack you. 

This way is cruel.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lust said:

We befriend all the geckos in our home. I love them. Just gotta clean up their tiny poops but I’m more than happy to keep them around.

Ours even have names, the one that lives under the sofa is called Somchai and the one in the bathroom is Somjing....Somchai comes out at night only and eats all the insects that are on the floor...

I like it when they all feast on the insects at the outdoor lights, sometimes 5-6 of them are there together waiting for the termites after the rain...they can eat one every minute and can easy eat 5 of them in a sitting.

But they still scare me when they hide in the coffeemachine or just jump on me head suddenly.

• Haha 2

This good thred to learn.

if not like jingjok in the house, WayneJ the OP show the good way.

fix the problem, not cruel.

Thankyou WayneJ

PS you must check everyday, or the jingjok will die. 

Live and let live.

1 minute ago, Yinn said:

Kill for food, kill if animal attack you. 

This way is cruel.

You can try to free it with vegetable oil but it'll die anyway, those sticky traps are poisionous. We use poision bait for rats. Trouble is they stink to high heaven when they die in the roof space. I have to send the wife up to fetch it out - note: the suspended ceiling won't take my weight LOL

2 minutes ago, Yinn said:

This good thred to learn.

if not like jingjok in the house, WayneJ the OP show the good way.

fix the problem, not cruel.

Thankyou WayneJ

PS you must check everyday, or the jingjok will die. 

Live and let live.

He won't, he'll just wait till the bottle gets full of jinjoks and then post on TV asking how to get rid of bottles of honey filled with dead jinjoks.

I would much rather have jinjoks around than mosquitoes. Jinjoks don't carry dengue fever.

Although I was a bit teed off when a jinjok got itself jammed in the aircon, and the vent would not open.

Has anyone noticed the gecko sound is very similar to F##k you, or is that just my imagination?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

I would much rather have jinjoks around than mosquitoes. Jinjoks don't carry dengue fever.

Although I was a bit teed off when a jinjok got itself jammed in the aircon, and the vent would not open.

Has anyone noticed the gecko sound is very similar to F##k you, or is that just my imagination?

Nah, it's just you. Now the  'watchadoin' birds..................

5 hours ago, grollies said:

You can try to free it with vegetable oil but it'll die anyway, those sticky traps are poisionous. We use poision bait for rats. Trouble is they stink to high heaven when they die in the roof space. I have to send the wife up to fetch it out - note: the suspended ceiling won't take my weight LOL

Last year i suddenly saw a rat running through the livingroom. It went into the kitchen where it was hiding. It was late and i wanted to sleep so i closed the kitchendoor with metal screens against mozzies and thought i'll deal with you tomorrow.

The rat had come through the drain in the shower because the lid was off...i put the lid back on it and went to sleep.

Next day there was a hole in the metal screen of the kitchendoor, the lid of the drain in the shower was out again! and there was poop of it everywhere in the bathroom.

I was amazed that it could make a hole in the metal screen, go back to the showerdrain and even open the lid of it to go back where it came from.....now we never leave the drains open anymore.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, grollies said:

The poison cruel also. Terrible.

the rat like the palm oil tree. We have a lot. But open the light outside at night and they not come. They scared the light. 

Maybe get this one.