Humane Gecko Trap

WayneJ

3 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Last year i suddenly saw a rat running through the livingroom. It went into the kitchen where it was hiding. It was late and i wanted to sleep so i closed the kitchendoor with metal screens against mozzies and thought i'll deal with you tomorrow.

The rat had come through the drain in the shower because the lid was off...i put the lid back on it and went to sleep.

Next day there was a hole in the metal screen of the kitchendoor, the lid of the drain in the shower was out again! and there was poop of it everywhere in the bathroom.

I was amazed that it could make a hole in the metal screen, go back to the showerdrain and even open the lid of it to go back where it came from.....now we never leave the drains open anymore.

Wildlife here is great, it's not the first time I've found a small snake in our bedroom - comes in when we leave dried washing folded in the basket on the verandah for a while or the cleaner leaves the window (and screen) open - if she does that again she's sacked.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Yinn said:

This good thred to learn.

if not like jingjok in the house, WayneJ the OP show the good way.

fix the problem, not cruel.

Thankyou WayneJ

PS you must check everyday, or the jingjok will die. 

Live and let live.

You're Thai - I though you'd have all the answers already to educate us farangs.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Ours even have names, the one that lives under the sofa is called Somchai and the one in the bathroom is Somjing....Somchai comes out at night only and eats all the insects that are on the floor...

I like it when they all feast on the insects at the outdoor lights, sometimes 5-6 of them are there together waiting for the termites after the rain...they can eat one every minute and can easy eat 5 of them in a sitting.

But they still scare me when they hide in the coffeemachine or just jump on me head suddenly.

I really cannot tolerate when they leap out of the toaster. Other than that I tolerate them;  as was said they do terminate a lot of insects.   

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

We have them in our living room, under the tv, sofa, the fridge. Few in the kitchen. I love them - but then I also have a wife that sweeps and scrubs the house twice a day

Do they leave little messages for you? Black with a white tip!

17 minutes ago, albertik said:

I really cannot tolerate when they leap out of the toaster. Other than that I tolerate them;  as was said they do terminate a lot of insects.   

I turned on my toaster one time and a strange smell and smoke started coming out of it.

When I turned it upside down a barbequed cockroach fell out. The experience quite put me off my usual beans on toast for a few days.

Edited by yogi100
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, albertik said:

LOL we have a jinjok toaster, he has the sense to get out before it gets too hot.

• Haha 1

I think it's a myth that they eat mosquitos.

I've seen mozzies flying around their heads with no reaction.

They run around chasing crawling insects and larger flies, but they ignore mosquitos.

Admittedly not a comprehensive study, but they don't seem to be effective as a mozzie control system and I still need to get the electric tennis racket out.

31 minutes ago, grollies said:

You're Thai - I though you'd have all the answers already to educate us farangs.

I live with them. I not want to kill. For what. Live together. Like my pet! Cute. And eat mosquito. 

Thailand everyone can live together. The dog, cat, chicken, lizard, pig, duck buffalo, cow, etc. 

Everyone friendly together. No problem.

I not like kill anything. Not the ant. If mosquito in my car just driving with window open that fly away.

i give the answer for the rat. Leave the light on nighttime outside. 

this good thred. Only if one animal can have the life.

if kill food ok if 1) have the good life. Like house chicken. 2) kill it quick, good way. 

Poison and glue trap cruel. And not for food.

shellfish ok. Not have nerve system. No feeling.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

They run around chasing crawling insects and larger flies, but they ignore mosquitos.

Admittedly not a comprehensive study, but they don't seem to be effective as a mozzie control system and I still need to get the electric tennis racket out.

No, eat mosquito sure...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

They tend to wait until the mosquito has landed on a wall  and is stationary before they attempt to eat it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

Sticky rat traps also work, nothing lucky about having a load of <deleted> down the walls!

Whatever you catch in those glue traps, check them regularly and immediately kill anything thats trapped in them , it would be cruel to discard them whilst they are still alive , as they would take a long time to die, maybe weeks to die of thirst .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

They tend to wait until the mosquito has landed on a wall  and is stationary before they attempt to eat it 

You're just saying that to try and save them from eviction ????

Think I need to try Trigger Fish as an alternative?

14 hours ago, WayneJ said:

but when one jumped off the kitchen table into my lap I said enough is enough!

Bet you were screaming like a little girl, try and live together with things,

they do more good than bad,I like them ,the cat likes them,always saving

them when the cat catches one.

regards worgeordie

geckos eat roaches, spiders, gnats, mosquitoes AND unlike bugs, they respect your space. When I lived in a house here i never had one jump on me and even if it did by accident who cares.. it's stupid to wanna get rid of them .. I now live 24 stories up but so I don't get to have them anymore but would be happy to..