Canada's Trudeau, in election fight, says he needs voter support to stand up to Trump

webfact

Canada's Trudeau, in election fight, says he needs voter support to stand up to Trump

By Stephane Mahe

2019-10-14T203808Z_1_LYNXMPEF9D1QS_RTROPTP_4_CANADA-ELECTION.JPG

Liberal leader and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, his wife Sophie Gregoire Trudeau, their son Xavier and their daughter Ella-Grace attend an election campaign visit to Hamilton, Ontario, Canada October 14, 2019. REUTERS/Stephane MaheWINDSOR,

Ontario (Reuters) - Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, who looks set to lose his parliamentary majority after an Oct. 21 election, said on Monday he needed a strong government to keep standing up to U.S. President Donald Trump.

Trudeau's remarks were unusually forceful, especially since the two leaders looked to have patched up relations after Trump accused the Canadian last year of being weak and dishonest.

Opinion polls put Trudeau's Liberals even with the Conservatives of Andrew Scheer and suggest the ruling party will lose its majority in the House of Commons. That would leave the Liberals relying on smaller parties to govern.

Trudeau, campaigning on the Canadian Thanksgiving holiday, noted the Liberals had overseen the successful negotiation of a new U.S.-Mexico-Canada trade agreement last year. The talks were tough at times and Trudeau said Scheer had favoured capitulating to the U.S. side.

"We need to continue to have a strong government with a clear focus on standing up for Canadians, standing up to Donald Trump, standing up to the forces of populism and chaos around the world," Trudeau told reporters in Windsor, Ontario.

A Nanos Research poll released on Monday put the Liberals at 32.3% support and the Conservatives at 32.1%. The left-leaning New Democrats of Jagmeet Singh, the most obvious choice of partner for a Liberal minority government, were at 19.2%.

Singh wants more spending on social programs and higher taxes on the wealthy.

Scheer called on Canadians to give him a majority, saying the alternative was a coalition between the Liberals and New Democrats that would generate massive budget deficits.

"(It would be) a government where Justin Trudeau may be the spokesperson, but the New Democrats are calling the shots," Scheer told reporters in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Singh indicated on Sunday he was open to a coalition with the Liberals, who have struggled to open a lead since the emergence last month of photos from years ago showing Trudeau in blackface.

Canada has only had one formal coalition, in 1917 during World War One. The New Democrats have struck deals to keep minority Liberal governments in power, most notably from 1972 to 1974 and in 2005.

Asked about a possible coalition with the New Democrats, Trudeau replied: "I'm campaigning hard to stop Conservative cuts and elect a progressive government."

Scheer said if he won, he would present a fiscal update within 100 days to introduce a series of tax credits.

The Conservatives announced their platform last week and outlined tens of billions of dollars in spending reductions.

(Reporting by Stephane Mahe in Windsor, Ontario; Writing by David Ljunggren; Editing by Matthew Lewis and Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-10-15

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, webfact said:

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, who looks set to lose his parliamentary majority after an Oct. 21 election, said on Monday he needed a strong government to keep standing up to U.S. President Donald Trump.

More like stronger weed.????

image.png.4d38f9d8dd0916de2c5be6eabc081f73.png

"About 11,000 trucks and 15,000 cars cross the border at Detroit every day, along with $1.6 million in trade every minute. "

A minute ?

At ONE border crossing ?

960 MILLION dollars an hour ?

X 24 hours ?

I dont think so ..

I don't think it was trudeaus fault when the auto makers left for Mexico. And the conservatives didn't lose the election because people were happy with their performance. 

Canadas economy is doing well, the lowest unemployment rate in 4 decades.

Mr. Carbon Tax, Trudeau, Mr. Black Face, Trudeau. Mr, give 10.5 million to a

killer, Trudeau, does not deserve to be a PM of Canada. What Trudeau deserves is to

go back to being an obscure teachers aid, is some rich kid school in Canada.

That's my opinion anyway.

Geezer

NDP & Bloc are up in all the latest polls. Liberals & Conservatives are down. Little chance either form a majority unless something breaks the last week. The 4 progressive/left parties hold 2/3rds of voter support while the 2 right/conservative parties have the other 1/3rd. Conservative leader Scheer is the least popular leader and NDP leader Singh the most popular. 

The OP didn't mention the 2 Liberal Mike Pearson minority governments supported by the NDP 1963-68. Those were by far the best governments in my lifetime and gave Canadians the Canadian Pension Plan and single payer universal healthcare. 

If I were to guess it will be a Liberal minority supported on a bill by bill basis by, in order, the NDP, Greens then Bloc. If those in the State of Alberta hated Trudeau before wait till he is forced to abandon the TransMountain expansion. Athough they will  grudgingly accept universal PharmaCare no doubt.

23 minutes ago, pegman said:

NDP & Bloc are up in all the latest polls. Liberals & Conservatives are down. Little chance either form a majority unless something breaks the last week. The 4 progressive/left parties hold 2/3rds of voter support while the 2 right/conservative parties have the other 1/3rd. Conservative leader Scheer is the least popular leader and NDP leader Singh the most popular. 

The OP didn't mention the 2 Liberal Mike Pearson minority governments supported by the NDP 1963-68. Those were by far the best governments in my lifetime and gave Canadians the Canadian Pension Plan and single payer universal healthcare. 

If I were to guess it will be a Liberal minority supported on a bill by bill basis by, in order, the NDP, Greens then Bloc. If those in the State of Alberta hated Trudeau before wait till he is forced to abandon the TransMountain expansion. Athough they will  grudgingly accept universal PharmaCare no doubt.

Yeah, kick us  while were down.

Being an Albertan is like being a smart kid when the rest of the family is retarded.

50 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Yeah, kick us  while were down.

Being an Albertan is like being a smart kid when the rest of the family is retarded.

Or the arrogant rich kid who keeps getting beat up and has his lunch money taken by the poor kids in the playground, 555

2 hours ago, pegman said:

Young Justin did during the NAFTA negotiations and Trump whined like baby stating Canada wasn't as nice as everybody thought.

This is a strange re-writing of recent history.  The only thing little Justin fought for was protection of the Canadian dairy farmers' demands to keep the present and expensive (to the consumer) marketing system going for another generation.

Trump, alas, had him beat when it came to the kerfuffle over the Huawei heiress.  The Canadians knew she was on that plane....all they had to do was warn her to stay in the landing area and get a connecting flight to Mexico and the Canadians would not have had to suffer the extreme embarrassment of having the Chinese arrest two random Canadians and refuse to buy Canadian pork.  Trudeau has lost the Canuck taxpayer and ordinary worker millions of dollars.

Off with his head.

39 minutes ago, blazes said:

This is a strange re-writing of recent history.  The only thing little Justin fought for was protection of the Canadian dairy farmers' demands to keep the present and expensive (to the consumer) marketing system going for another generation.

Trump, alas, had him beat when it came to the kerfuffle over the Huawei heiress.  The Canadians knew she was on that plane....all they had to do was warn her to stay in the landing area and get a connecting flight to Mexico and the Canadians would not have had to suffer the extreme embarrassment of having the Chinese arrest two random Canadians and refuse to buy Canadian pork.  Trudeau has lost the Canuck taxpayer and ordinary worker millions of dollars.

Off with his head.

I have to agree about the Chinese business woman. Where he made the mistake though was in appointing that native woman as Justice Minister. Her decisions on that and SNC-Lavalin were both dumb. Grease is part of doing business in a large part of the world. It was perfectly legal to charge, convict, then fine them. But to charge them criminal Is going to hurt how they and other of our  International companies do business.  Why is a multinational mining company base itself in Canada when you can be convicted of corruption while doing what all your competitors are doing with no risk of the same.  That portion of the law was brought in by Harper and should've been taken out the day after Trudeau entered office.

2 minutes ago, pegman said:

I have to agree about the Chinese business woman. Where he made the mistake though was in appointing that native woman as Justice Minister. Her decisions on that and SNC-Lavalin were both dumb. Grease is part of doing business in a large part of the world. It was perfectly legal to charge, convict, then fine them. But to charge them criminal Is going to hurt how they and other of our  International companies do business.  Why is a multinational mining company base itself in Canada when you can be convicted of corruption while doing what all your competitors are doing with no risk of the same.  That portion of the law was brought in by Harper and should've been taken out the day after Trudeau entered office.

Agree with the general thrust of the argument, but remember this: the appointment of Wilson-Raybould as Justice Minister was in itself evidence of the terrible decision-making of Trudeau. He just HAD to be the most woke political leader in the world, and so appointed a cabinet based NOT on merit but on this abject need to be "inclusive" and "diverse".  Hell, Wilson had impeccable credentials in Wokism.....she was Indigenous AND, my god, a woman.....

And she was in it, as we now know, only to overhaul (that is, "rewrite") the legal system in such a way as to benefit, retroactively, our indigenous brothers (and sisters).  These are serious marks against the present Canadian Prime Minister.

6 hours ago, blazes said:

Off with his head.

Nonsense. Trudeau pretty much ko'd Trump. Trump's biggest demand was the end of Chapter 19, the dispute resolution mechanism. He wanted US courts to be the venue. He completely caved in to Trudeau on that. Even the former head of the Conservatives believes that.

"It wasn't an idle threat (from Trump)," said Ambrose. "They were extremely critical of Chapter 19 and I think right up to the last minute it was their intent to scrap it."

In addition, Ambrose said Canada scored success on having international labour standards and environmental principles entrenched in the deal.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ambrose-nafta-scheer-trudeau-1.5261699

9 hours ago, blazes said:

Agree with the general thrust of the argument, but remember this: the appointment of Wilson-Raybould as Justice Minister was in itself evidence of the terrible decision-making of Trudeau. He just HAD to be the most woke political leader in the world, and so appointed a cabinet based NOT on merit but on this abject need to be "inclusive" and "diverse".  Hell, Wilson had impeccable credentials in Wokism.....she was Indigenous AND, my god, a woman.....

And she was in it, as we now know, only to overhaul (that is, "rewrite") the legal system in such a way as to benefit, retroactively, our indigenous brothers (and sisters).  These are serious marks against the present Canadian Prime Minister.

I agree 100%. After berating 2 Liberal Party  canvassers  for 10 minutes at my door last week on those same points they agreed too. It was very poor judgement. That being said I still hope he wins because I have absolutely no use for Scheer or conservatives in general. When TransMountain pipeline expansion gets shut down State of Albertans can blame Presto Manning's 4 year (PROUD) smear campaign for weakening Trudeau to a NDP/GREEN supported minority. State of Albertans never take responsibility for anything so that won't be happening. 

On 10/16/2019 at 11:01 PM, pegman said:

I agree 100%. After berating 2 Liberal Party  canvassers  for 10 minutes at my door last week on those same points they agreed too. It was very poor judgement. That being said I still hope he wins because I have absolutely no use for Scheer or conservatives in general. When TransMountain pipeline expansion gets shut down State of Albertans can blame Presto Manning's 4 year (PROUD) smear campaign for weakening Trudeau to a NDP/GREEN supported minority. State of Albertans never take responsibility for anything so that won't be happening. 

Now there is some whackadoodle nonsense.

Prince Justin was born to a drug addled groupie and a cuckolded billionaire communist sympathizer. He never accomplished anything of substance in his life before his father's name launched him as the icon of progressive circle jerking. 

You can't blame this on decent people who are just trying to save Canada from mass psychosis. That you would post such a ridiculous notion shows you have had lethal amounts of kool-aid.

On 10/16/2019 at 9:48 AM, pegman said:

Or the arrogant rich kid who keeps getting beat up and has his lunch money taken by the poor kids in the playground, 555

Not at my school ???? There were no poor kids and we didn't use lunch money. ????

i don't keep up with politics but he is young like the electorate and the elders remember his father. For better or worse. Governments only change for economic reasons and if the economy is going OK...

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

Now there is some whackadoodle nonsense.

Prince Justin was born to a drug addled groupie and a cuckolded billionaire communist sympathizer. He never accomplished anything of substance in his life before his father's name launched him as the icon of progressive circle jerking. 

You can't blame this on decent people who are just trying to save Canada from mass psychosis. That you would post such a ridiculous notion shows you have had lethal amounts of kool-aid.

Nor did Papa Pierre achieve anything in his life, except (alas) for the one thing that has turned Canada, over time, into the Kingdom of Woke.  I refer of course to the Charter of All Too Many Rights....

On 10/16/2019 at 12:35 AM, zaZa9 said:

"About 11,000 trucks and 15,000 cars cross the border at Detroit every day, along with $1.6 million in trade every minute. "

A minute ?

At ONE border crossing ?

960 MILLION dollars an hour ?

X 24 hours ?

I dont think so ..

although those numbers may be off. the detriot/windsor crossing handles a huge percentage of all commercial goods being imported into canada on any given day. 

Archived