Canada's Trudeau, in election fight, says he needs voter support to stand up to Trump

webfact

6 minutes ago, blazes said:

sorry, Squire, I was just trying, if you'll forgive me, to teach you some English...

Oh, I see! Well, thanks a lot amigo but it really is against forum rules. It also clearly shows you've been bettered in a discussion if that's all you got.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, blazes said:

You do realise, don't you Peggers, that your grammar right there is saying, Calgary mayor is not a "knuckle dragger" - but all other mayors are indeed "knuckle draggers".

And, just by the way, good for the Mayor of Calgary, born and bred in Toronto.  In Ontario.  Canada.

I thought it was obvious that the reference to knuckle draggers was to the electorate there. 

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

Seems like only the indigenous folk and the west coast lotus eaters voted NDP. Oh and Greta's following in Edmonton. Sorry Pegman, The long march continues.

It's a joyous day. My kids, grandson & myself, all WASPs in The Peg, voted for the victorious NDP. Like 1963-65-72 we control the agenda in a Liberal minority. Less seats but big power gain.

With zero representation in the government from the State of Alberta & the Land of Green People expect pharmacare and cancelled pipelines as priorities. Young Justin can name a Lotusland MP to represent State of Alberta interests and one from The Peg for Sask's. 

Scheer seemed more concerned about taking out Mad Max and Ralph Goodal than forming government. I sure hope they keep him around. I've been saying for 4 years that Trudeau will likely win 4 terms. With this win after making so many mistakes maybe it will be 5.

5 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Keep dreaming this election was a sign of end for the Marxists. You almost had a moment last time around, now you are on the edge of also-ran. Conservatives have made good gains, and with Cutesox at the helm of the Liberals, there will be enough cringe factor to power a conservative majority next cycle. Which will be sometime in the next two years. Minority means The little prince will have to appease both sides and be limited in his destruction of the west.

Nonsense, Liberal-NDP in 1963-68 gave us Medicare, the maple leaf flag, Canada Pension Plan, all over Tory opposition,  then the Trudeau-mania majority in 1968. The Liberal-NDP in 1972-74 got us Petro Can then a 1974 Liberal majority. Conservative dinosaurs have no place in a progressive country like Canada. 

5 minutes ago, pegman said:

Nonsense, Liberal-NDP in 1963-68 gave us Medicare, the maple leaf flag, Canada Pension Plan, all over Tory opposition,  then the Trudeau-mania majority in 1968. The Liberal-NDP in 1972-74 got us Petro Can then a 1974 Liberal majority. Conservative dinosaurs have no place in a progressive country like Canada. 

Yes you have been faithful sidekicks to one of Canada's serious parties.

Pegman, Canuckamuck that turned out to be pretty accurate.  I expect you will be right about the PharmaCare and/or DentiCare also.

A couple things about this election I noticed.  First, Singh was pressed by reporters whether shutdown of pipeline expansion was a condition of NDP assistance.  He ducked and pivoted and didn't answer the question.  Made me think, Hmmm.  Maybe the TM expansion is not dead.  If they want Pharma or Denticare bad enough they might hold their noses and offer support, especially if the first nations groups get the financing and buy 50% of the project.

Second thing was that independent Senator Andre Pratte announced his immediate resignation right after the polls closed.  Prattes resignation letter states:

"There comes a time when one realizes they do not have the skills and motivation required to accomplish the task they've been entrusted with. ... Pratte says it saddens him to betray the trust that Trudeau had in him — but he adds it would be even more of a betrayal to continue in a role without meeting the level of excellence expected."

The integrity of the man's resignation letter made me a little prouder to be a Canadian.  It also pointed out to me the vast abyss between what i/we consider politics and the blood sport our Southern cousins practise by the same name.

Congratulations to my Canadian friends on electing a sane PM. Unfortunately south of the border that didn't happen. I could propose a leader swap with the US (with no refund!) but I have too much respect for Canada.

Come to think of it there's no country on earth that deserves him - not a single one. 

Well, now that this insubstantial pageant has ended,

the best thing Western Canada can do from now on is support all efforts by Quebec to have another independence referendum....The French will this time vote to leave and then the West of Canada can also leave, can go Wexit.

Ah well (as Prospero the magician said):

"We are such stuff

As dreams are made on, and our little life

Is rounded with a sleep....."

On 10/21/2019 at 9:39 PM, pegman said:

It's a joyous day. My kids, grandson & myself, all WASPs in The Peg, voted for the victorious NDP. Like 1963-65-72 we control the agenda in a Liberal minority. Less seats but big power gain.

With zero representation in the government from the State of Alberta & the Land of Green People expect pharmacare and cancelled pipelines as priorities. Young Justin can name a Lotusland MP to represent State of Alberta interests and one from The Peg for Sask's. 

Scheer seemed more concerned about taking out Mad Max and Ralph Goodal than forming government. I sure hope they keep him around. I've been saying for 4 years that Trudeau will likely win 4 terms. With this win after making so many mistakes maybe it will be 5.

Why don't you write properly?  No one finds amusing your infantile reference to Alberta as a "State" (to name only one of the many wearisome attempts at "humour" in your prose).

4 hours ago, blazes said:

Well, now that this insubstantial pageant has ended,

the best thing Western Canada can do from now on is support all efforts by Quebec to have another independence referendum....The French will this time vote to leave and then the West of Canada can also leave, can go Wexit.

Ah well (as Prospero the magician said):

"We are such stuff

As dreams are made on, and our little life

Is rounded with a sleep....."

Wow!!!  I beg to differ.  

My hopes and expectations are rather more positive and do not include the destruction of the country.  There is a lot that can be done and will be done.  Things like this interview  make me believe that there is work to be done.  It is no time to start screaming <deleted> about quitting.

Statement to the CBC

"Two days after much of Western Canada rejected the Liberals on election day, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau today vowed to be more sensitive to the needs of Alberta and Saskatchewan and to build the Trans Mountain expansion pipeline in the face of entrenched opposition from environmentalists.

Trudeau told a press conference in Ottawa this afternoon he clearly has to do more to earn the trust of people in the two resource-rich provinces. He said that work will start with ensuring more pipeline capacity is brought online so that oil producers can sell their product abroad at prices closer to the going world rate."

It matters not whether your glass is half full or half empty .... there is plenty of room for wine.

????????????????????

1 hour ago, blazes said:

Why don't you write properly?  No one finds amusing your infantile reference to Alberta as a "State" (to name only one of the many wearisome attempts at "humour" in your prose).

WEXIT?

There is no place in Canada that wishes more that they were a state than the State of Alberta. Personally, I think the ones that want out should go to the closest border crossing and seek asylum in Trumpland. The white ones likely have a good chance of getting it. Hopefully Moe & Closet Boy are first in line. 

16 minutes ago, pegman said:

WEXIT?

There is no place in Canada that wishes more that they were a state than the State of Alberta. Personally, I think the ones that want out should go to the closest border crossing and seek asylum in Trumpland. The white ones likely have a good chance of getting it. Hopefully Moe & Closet Boy are first in line. 

Actually Pegman, I have to disagree with you.  Most people here (Alberta)  have no desire to be a state (Merican state that is).  Most are quite grateful we aren't and are vocal about it.  we are in fact somewhat proud of being the economic powerhouse that has supported our country for the last hundred years ... (could be just as proud for half the money).  I also would prefer that you stop characterising us as racist bigots.  Trash your own people wherever they are, if you must.  Leave us alone. 

I'm not saying we don't have bigots, I don't know of a society that doesn't.  I live in a city that has a muslim asian filling his third term as mayor.  The voting has always been about performance and issues.  We seem to be somewhat indifferent to a person's race and culture.

An independent State or country is not feasible as a quick look at a map shows and unless you're mathematically challenged we don't have the population to support our borders.

Archived