O-A Permitted to Stay Date

I am on a 1st year O-A visa.  My original permitted to stay date was 28 February 2020.  I just returned from an overseas trip in CM.  The IOs fumbled around for a while with the date stamp.  So I returned on 14 October with a permitted to stay stamp of 12 October 2020.  Not a big deal, but it seems like they were off  by a day or is there some creative counting being used?

I am on a 1st year O-A visa.  My original permitted to stay date was 28 February 2020.  I just returned from an overseas trip in CM.  The IOs fumbled around for a while with the date stamp.  So I returned on 14 October with a permitted to stay stamp of 12 October 2020.  Not a big deal, but it seems like they were off  by a day or is there some creative counting being used?

Hi, It looks correct to me. You are not 1 day short. You need to remember to count your entry day as the first day of your 1 year permission to stay. So instead of adding 365 to 14-OCT, you need to add 364 to 14-OCT-2019 to get 12-OCT-2020.

2 hours ago, peterbkk2 said:

Hi, It looks correct to me. You are not 1 day short. You need to remember to count your entry day as the first day of your 1 year permission to stay. So instead of adding 365 to 14-OCT, you need to add 364 to 14-OCT-2019 to get 12-OCT-2020.

It’s wrong and 1 day short. 

If he arrived on Oct 14th he should be stamped in until Oct 13th 2020. They don’t count days as the permission to stay is for 1 year.

2 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

So I returned on 14 October with a permitted to stay stamp of 12 October 2020.  Not a big deal, but it seems like they were off  by a day or is there some creative counting being used?

Yes it’s 1 day short. You could get it changed at immigration, but it’s probably not worth it.

2 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Not forgetting that next year is also a leap year

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Yes but still it should be October 13.

I did a border run with the Non-O A on Oct 9, 2011, Got stamped Oct 8, 2012 (leap year).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ifjsrussell said:

No it’s correct. Next year is a leap year. I arrived back on my OA this Sept 25th, and am stamped in to Sept 23 2020 in Phuket. They do take into account the leap year extra day.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The leap year is irrelevant. An O-A visa gets you permission to stay for 1 year, not 365 days. If IO's are issuing 365 days they have made a mistake.

MFA website. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O-A"-(Long-Stay).html

5. Recommendations for foreigners with Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay) while staying in the Kingdom

5.1  Upon arrival, holder of this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for 1 year from the date of first entry.

Edited by elviajero

4 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

My original entry was on 1 Mar 2019 and my original permitted day was February 28.  So it looks like they didn't count leap year or at least they used 365.

Your original entry was correct. There is nothing written anywhere that suggests permission to stay is for 365 days; it's 1 year.

The leap year is irrelevant. An O-A visa gets you permission to stay for 1 year, not 365 days. If IO's are issuing 365 days they have made a mistake.

MFA website. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O-A"-(Long-Stay).html

5. Recommendations for foreigners with Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay) while staying in the Kingdom

5.1  Upon arrival, holder of this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for 1 year from the date of first entry.

Well I’m going by what actually happens at Phuket Immigration. As you can see two separate entries, both 365 days. Obviously policy here in Phuket, and from the OP policy in Chiang Mai.

IMG_3458.JPG

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, ifjsrussell said:

Well I’m going by what actually happens at Phuket Immigration. As you can see two separate entries, both 365 days. Obviously policy here in Phuket, and from the OP policy in Chiang Mai.

IMG_3458.JPG

I could show you 50 stamps all showing 365 days because that is the length of most years. But the rules for a Non OA Visa state 1 year, not 365 days.

Some stays issued by immigration are for a specific number of days, and some for a specific number of years. The IO’s stamping an OA visa holder in for 365 days are wrong, it should be 1 year.

I could show you 50 stamps all showing 365 days because that is the length of most years. But the rules for a Non OA Visa state 1 year, not 365 days.

Some stays issued by immigration are for a specific number of days, and some for a specific number of years. The IO’s stamping an OA visa holder in for 365 days are wrong, it should be 1 year.

Ok, I give up, you’re right and Phuket immigration is wrong. Sadly if you fly into phuket it is they that actually apply the rule not you. (as does Chiang Mai it appears)

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ifjsrussell said:

Ok, I give up, you’re right and Phuket immigration is wrong. Sadly if you fly into phuket it is they that actually apply the rule not you. (as does Chiang Mai it appears)

My Non O-A stamp is the same - arriving at Bangkok in May this year I got an arrival date two calendar days earlier for May 2020. This is inconsistent with previous entry stamps in earlier years where it's usually one day short of the year. The leap year explanation makes sense in this case, though not sure whether they stamped it correctly or not. 

• Like 1