Using a multi-entry re-entry permit whilst still have an unexpired OA in passport

I have a question about a combination of an unexpired O-A Visa and Multi-entry re-entry permit.

I currently have:

1) OA Visa issued in Jan 2019 and expiring in Jan 2020

2) Passport expiring 31-AUG-2020

3) Permission to stay until 31-AUG-2020 (which is obviously aligned to my passport expiration date and I am happy to stick to this date).

I am nervous about the new OA-related health insurance rules that will take effect from 31-OCT-2019.

To try to minimize my "exposure" on this issue, my plan is to:

i) Before departing Thailand this week, apply for multi-entry re-entry permit for my current permission to stay

ii) Use this re-entry permit to re-enter Thailand in late October 2019, early December 2019 and multiple times in 2020 (up to AUG-2020).

This way I hope to "cement" my existing permission to stay. Under normal circumstances I would have got the multi-entry re-entry permit anyway during a future trip in 2019. All I am doing is getting the RE permit earlier. It will still cost me the same amount of money and the expiration date of the permit will still be 31-AUG-2020 regardless of when I get it.

My question: will the presence of the still valid OA visa in the passport in any way cause confusion or invalidate the re-entry permit when entering Thailand? Will the IO insist that he stamp me in using the OA instead of the re-entry permit?

Thanks

If you got a re-entry permit immigration on entry to the country would likely use the still valid OA visa for entry since it would allow a longer stay than the re-entry permit up to the date it expires.
I think you are overly concerned about them wanting to see insurance for a entry from a OA visa issued prior to October 31st. The rules certainly are not retroactive.
Although in my case, both the re-entry permit and the OA visa will still only give until 31-AUG-2020 as that is the expiry date of my passport.

Immigration on entry will stamp you into the country to the date your visa allows. They do not do them to the date your passport expires.
They leave to you to get a new passport or leave the country before it expires.
The only time passport validity means anything is when applying for a extension of stay at immigration.
OK. Will the re-entry permit also be to the expiration date of the permission to stay or to the passport expiration date?

17 minutes ago, peterbkk2 said:

Will the re-entry permit also be to the expiration date of the permission to stay or to the passport expiration date?

It could be done either way. it would depend upon the office where you apply for it. 

Arrived CNX May 2018 O-A ME. Was under the impression re-entry permit required to not lose visa when returning from trip back to Oz for Christmas.

Expecting to be stamped in for another year; but was stamped in until the end of my first entry. Questioned IO....

Was informed a re-entry permit overrules visa; I had made the choice to keep my original trip by buying it. He also reiterated the second year would be effected by border hop just prior to expiry date. And so it was.....

IMG_20191015_115058.jpg

IMG_20191015_115125.jpg

IMG_20191015_115150.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, peterbkk2 said:

ii) Use this re-entry permit to re-enter Thailand in late October 2019, early December 2019 and multiple times in 2020 (up to AUG-2020).

What about the issue where you need 6 months validity in the passport ?? 

After Feb 2020 you will be hit and miss as to being allowed to get on flights etc. 

What about the issue where you need 6 months validity in the passport ?? 

After Feb 2020 you will be hit and miss as to being allowed to get on flights etc. 
Understand. I am renewing my passport in January 2020.

Sent from my SM-C7000 using Tapatalk

Guys, I have question also.  I had an O-A multiple entry that expired 7 June 2019. I entered Thailand in December of 2019. Departed on March 26, 2019.  Got a re-entry permit before leaving 26 March 2019 with permission to stay until 11 December 2019. I returned to Thailand in August 2019, but did not get an re-entry permit before I left in September. 

I plan to return to Thailand the first week of December 2019 before the 11th. 

Will I have a problem since I did not get re-entry, even though the permission to stay was until 11 December 2019.  Do I have any options>  Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

2 hours ago, Ej2562 said:

Guys, I have question also.  I had an O-A multiple entry that expired 7 June 2019. I entered Thailand in December of 2019. Departed on March 26, 2019.  Got a re-entry permit before leaving 26 March 2019 with permission to stay until 11 December 2019. I returned to Thailand in August 2019, but did not get an re-entry permit before I left in September. 

Will I have a problem since I did not get re-entry, even though the permission to stay was until 11 December 2019.  Do I have any options>  Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

You visa has expired.

when you left in September you did not have a re-entry permit so without that your permission to stay finished the day you left in September.

Your options are:

best

1) Get an other Non 0-A, get a Non O 

less good:

2)get a tourist visa.

3)least good try to come in Visa exempt.

With the recent fun and games at the airports options 2 and 3 carry some degree of risk as you are not a tourist.

3 hours ago, Ej2562 said:

That depends on whether the re-entry permit you acquired in March was single or multiple entry. If you only had a single re-entry permit, it has been used, and cannot be used again.