Brexit hangs in the balance as EU doubts a deal this week

webfact

4 hours ago, sanemax said:

Suggesting that people are "old & stupid" is indeed being rude and isnt stating facts .

Some % of the population are going to be old and another % of them are going to be stupid(some both!) these are facts.

Their votes count just as much.

Which is in part why we have a representative democracy rather than a direct one.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, tebee said:

Some % of the population are going to be old and another % of them are going to be stupid(some both!) these are facts.

Their votes count just as much.

Which is in part why we have a representative democracy rather than a direct one.

For someone to be calling others stupid, you dont come across as being too intelligent yourself 

95 %  May's treaty. SNP/DUP against  , Labour will whip amendment. No Deal threat not taken seriously. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-50088300

Barnier has said no FTA without sharing fishing rights and regulatory alignment at the next stage- Farage frothing that this is a EU trap and absolutely not brexit.  Oh and don't forget the 39 billion still have to pay that. 

EU want referendum and remain as the last play. That will help concentrate minds. There will be no No Deal of that I am 100% certain. DUP on 6'0 Clock in furious mood. Game still on. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/17/boris-johnson-and-eu-reach-brexit-deal-without-dup-backing

https://www.ft.com/content/a513c33c-f02a-11e9-ad1e-4367d8281195

The UK must have a public vote on Boris Johnson’s Brexit deal
Britons must agree to become significantly poorer and accept the illusion of greater sovereignty

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

For someone to be calling others stupid, you dont come across as being too intelligent yourself 

so what exact do you dispute ? At what age do you consider people old ?

5 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Without doubt. But putting an under equipped and under strength army up against the Wehrmacht was always going to result in this.

Its a valuable lesson from history which we are now repeating. Thinking just because we are British we are somehow superior is what got us into that mess. A mistake we are repeating it seems.

It certainly was a setback for the 51st Highland division who were sacrificed in order to protect the beaches while the evacuation was happening.  

At a danger of a slight detour from topic, yes entirely. My stepfather spent 4 years as a POW as a result, fortunately one man to escape was Donald MacLeod, the finest piper of his generation. Churchill deemed the 51st expendable, the Coldstream guards were saved needless to say. 

8 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Hold on rookie... I though the narrative was the uneducated Leaver didn't listen to anything they were being told. They were too stupid to be trusted with a vote. Make your mind up.

Sorry rookie... it is rookie isn't it? Any idea that the UK could exercise anything close to the Norwegian option was sh!tcanned very early in this pantomime by the prevarication and obfuscation of the Remainer tribe.

The Brexit default is and always will be no deal.

If you don't want a deal, on your head be it. Unfortunately.

This is absolute nonsense and you know it.

Are trying to tell us that although the leave campaign told everyone that we would stay in the single market Brexiteers didnt believe them and wanted a no deal?

Johnsons deal does not deliver what leave promised. If you want to know if people want it then you need to hold a referendum and find out.

But you wont do that because what YOU want is a no deal Brexit. 

16 hours ago, billd766 said:

I think that of those 27 other countries perhaps 6 or 7 are net payers in and the remainder get subsidised.

Isn't that the basis of the welfare state Bill, some pay in and others collect.

Contribution from income tax to the welfare state 23.8% and to the EU budget it is 0.72%, but to many the EU contribution is perceived as extortionist and unacceptable. 

15 hours ago, sanemax said:

British people are confident that the UK can stand on its own two feet .

We dont need the rest of Europe to improve us  

The UK stood on it's own 2 feet by taking from others, not going to get away with that again.

If England want to take that route so be it, but they do not have the right to deny others of belonging to a union of their choosing.

I am a unionist and is it out of the question for the Conservative and Unionist Party to respect the views of all unionists.

16 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Without doubt. But putting an under equipped and under strength army up against the Wehrmacht was always going to result in this.

Its a valuable lesson from history which we are now repeating. Thinking just because we are British we are somehow superior is what got us into that mess. A mistake we are repeating it seems.

It certainly was a setback for the 51st Highland division who were sacrificed in order to protect the beaches while the evacuation was happening.  

It could also have been that the German army went through the Ardennes forest when the allied armies believed that it couldn't be done. The Germans also invaded Belgium and captured Fort Eban Emael bypassing the Maginot line which ended at the Belgian/French border.

It was sad about the 51st Highland division but somebody had to stay as the rearguard. there is some interesting stuff about the 51st here. https://51hd.co.uk/history/valery_1940

I think that we are wandering off topic and perhaps "The Management" will send us to the naughty room.

7 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Back on topic (& up to date)...

I don't think farage and the brexit party have any say in the matter as they don't have any MPs.

He should stop running off at the mouth and leave this to the adults.

Also the autor of the latest of your many tweets is a Fox news presenter. Hardly a reliable unbiased scource.

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

Isn't that the basis of the welfare state Bill, some pay in and others collect.

Contribution from income tax to the welfare state 23.8% and to the EU budget it is 0.72%, but to many the EU contribution is perceived as extortionist and unacceptable. 

Yes, I sadly agree with you.

I am one of the losers who contributed and when I needed help from the welfare state, i was right at the back of the welfare queue,

What really annoys me is that my state pension is frozen, but I am still paying income tax so I am effectively subsidising in part, my own state pension.

5 hours ago, billd766 said:

I am one of the losers who contributed and when I needed help from the welfare state, i was right at the back of the welfare queue,

What really annoys me is that my state pension is frozen, but I am still paying income tax so I am effectively subsidising in part, my own state pension.

Life's a bitch and then you marry one beach, then you die.

29 minutes ago, el torro said:

And it comes as no suprise to anyone that the EU agreed a deal at the last minute, despite their previous declarations about the impossibility of any deviation from the EU/May deal.

No, that is not what the EU said.

6 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

I don't think farage and the brexit party have any say in the matter as they don't have any MPs.

He should stop running off at the mouth and leave this to the adults.

Also the autor of the latest of your many tweets is a Fox news presenter. Hardly a reliable unbiased scource.

How about GMB?

23 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

What democracy?

People voted to leave based on what the leave campaign was telling them. They said we would remain in the single market. Be just like Norway they said.

No a deal or no deal Brexit is what is being forced upon the UK by some Brexit fundamentalists within the Conservative party.

Thats not democracy. Thats having a referendum result hijacked by an extremist group.

It's a well known fact a lot of remainers wanted to leave but their bottles went because of the lies told by project fear and a leaflet costing over 9 million pounds of taxpayers money shoved through the letterbox of every household in the uk,however good triumphed over evil and brexi t won.

58 minutes ago, el torro said:

And it comes as no suprise to anyone that the EU agreed a deal at the last minute, despite their previous declarations about the impossibility of any deviation from the EU/May deal.

Deal?don,t you mean a surrender treaty? A big thank you to Gina miller,Benn and all the other remainers who have made this fiasco possible.

29 minutes ago, evadgib said:

How about GMB?

Nope, sorry, it still features farage, a man with no dog in the game as his party has zero MPs, has never achieved anything and comes across as a headless wind bag who's big on rhetoric and severly lacking in facts. Why would anyone respect his opinions? A bit like some amateur footballer doing the post match analysis on Match of the Day.

13 minutes ago, kingdong said:

Deal?don,t you mean a surrender treaty? A big thank you to Gina miller,Benn and all the other remainers who have made this fiasco possible.

Don't forget to thank BJ, it was him and his mates that twice crashed May's deal, only to come back months later with somethingt even worse.

Come back Theresa all is forgiven.

10 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Nope, sorry, it still features farage, a man with no dog in the game as his party has zero MPs, has never achieved anything and comes across as a headless wind bag who's big on rhetoric and severlylacking in facts. Why would anyone respecxt his opinions? A bit like some amateur footballer doing the post match analysis on Match of the Day.

Farage has never been my favourite politician but a lot of people do respect many of his opinions because they agree with him.

19 minutes ago, kingdong said:

I've a bad head cold, and so can't think or remember all the 'in and outs' clearly.

To look on the bright side, at least the EU/Boris agreement means the UK (apart from N. Ireland, who voted to remain) will leave at the end of 2020?

8 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Don't forget to thank BJ, it was him and his mates that twice crashed May's deal, only to come back months later with somethingt even worse.

Come back Theresa all is forgiven.

Precisely how is the EU/Boris deal worse than the EU/May deal?

45 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Nope, sorry, it still features farage, a man with no dog in the game as his party has zero MPs, has never achieved anything and comes across as a headless wind bag who's big on rhetoric and severly lacking in facts. Why would anyone respect his opinions? A bit like some amateur footballer doing the post match analysis on Match of the Day.

Having no dog in the game hasn't stopped these boards being relentlessly trolled for 3 and a half years by people in that same category, which is why others have chosen to push back in the other direction.

If we leave on WTO terms in a fortnights time I look forward to resuming some form of normality.

20 hours ago, billd766 said:

Know what you mean Bill, I also got let down by the so called welfare state. I missed the training course on how to apply for benefits, and succeed, must have spent too much time working.

As for frozen pensions and income tax, where is Gina Miller when you really need her, it is nothing more than legalised theft.

We could have been uprated and backdated with what has been wasted on brexit.

When exactly is the uncertainty supposed to end? The other day someone tried to predict it couldn't drag on unpredictably.

Comment by John Baron, going to vote for the deal in the hope it becomes no-deal.

“If the trade talks are no successful after we hopefully agree the deal tomorrow here, if those trade talks are not successful up to December 2020 … then we could leave on no-deal terms.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-news-live-latest-today-brexit-news-deal-labour-a9160981.html?page=2

Archived