Brexit hangs in the balance as EU doubts a deal this week

webfact

8 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Stephen, try as you might, your're wasting your time. Brexiters believe all the <deleted> Boris, Gove and Farrage, ably managed by the sinister Cummings, told them. They're either too lazy or too brainwashed to research the actual facts. They could look at Youtube and see various interviewers expose the ignorance and downright lies these politicians told. They could actually read about the laws, the courts and even read the Treaty of Lisbon, which has been completely distorted in the propaganda. But they won't. They prefer to be sheeple and to believe that the evil EU is responsible for all the problems and issues the UK has. And once out good old Boris will have it all sorted in 5 minutes!

Difficult to fit all that into one slosh bucket.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Do you understand the process for WTO membership? Take us through it.

Because the UK isn't a WTO member the EU is.

So many Brexiters repeat WTO like demented parrots - because Farage, Gove and Johnson also do.

So please, for the benefit of everyone, explain exactly what the process is?

???? What a load of nonsense ????.

The process is to agree tariffs with WTO after we've left. We are a member of WTO now and will remain a member. Sheesh, I thought Remainers were supposed to be the smart ones ????.

What do you think will happen November 1st with No Deal? You think all trade between the UK and the rest of the world will stop? ????‍♂️????

image.png.16f4eda6c174648b863c521d579a23ce.png

12 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Those naive Extinction Rebellion protesters gumming up London should be wearing T-shirts bearing the words "Useful Idiot" - the phrase used by the Soviet oligarchs to describe foreigners conned into spreading the Communist credo across the capitalist West.

Whatever thousands of well intentioned well-intentioned marchers, strikers and gluers may believe, big business is not pouring billions into backing the environmental movement or assure the futures of their or our children and grandchildren. The real goal is to rescue a dying capitalist system rapidly running out of markets to exploit.

The object of the exercise is twofold - to “greenwash” the current activities of some of the most egregious polluters, and to build a fourth industrial revolution based around “solutions” to the imaginary climate “catastrophe” we are being brainwashed into believing is just around the corner.

Follow the money. . .

http://www.wrongkindofgreen.org/2019/01/17/the-manufacturing-of-greta-thunberg-for-consent-the-political-economy-of-the-non-profit-industrial-complex/

It was lenin who originally coined the phrase " useful idiots"probably referring to the remainers

3 hours ago, brucec64 said:

What are you thinking? Maybe declare war? 

While it would be tempting to lob a few missiles at certain buildings in Brussels and Strasbourg, I was thinking more of psychological or ideological warfare that plunges the EU into a long, agonising death-spiral in which all its members bicker on how/when to pull out.

7 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

While it would be tempting to lob a few missiles at certain buildings in Brussels and Strasbourg, I was thinking more of psychological or ideological warfare that plunges the EU into a long, agonising death-spiral in which all its members bicker on how/when to pull out.

After seeing the complete bosh the British have made of their proposed exit, I don't think you'll see any members in a hurry to leave the EU. They're not that stupid.

1 minute ago, bannork said:

After seeing the complete bosh the British have made of their proposed exit, I don't think you'll see any members in a hurry to leave the EU. They're not that stupid.

Au contraire. Once the UK has blazed the trail, the rest will follow. Without the UK, the EU is already seriously weakened. Nobody wants to be at a dull party.

3 minutes ago, bannork said:

Give it a couple of years after we've left.

As Britain surges forward and the EU countries slip into recession they'll have forgotten all about the process of exiting. They will see the pain was worth it. 

26 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

As Britain surges forward and the EU countries slip into recession they'll have forgotten all about the process of exiting. They will see the pain was worth it. 

Quite. All it will take is one more country to go belly-up like Greece did. And with member states like that, whose populations barely knows what tax is, it's only a matter of time.

With a little more foresight, anyone can see that all this bluster over a 'deal' is utterly irrelevant.

14 hours ago, billd766 said:

We as in you may vote Lib/Dem but I certainly won't, nor will that many of my friends either.

Bill, I'm copying how leavers present their statements. Haven't you noticed posters on here quoting?  It's 'always when WE leave or WE voted to leave, or WE'RE going to leave, come what may, etc etc ?

As for the Lib Dems, it's your and your many friends choice - my response was a bit 'tongue in the cheek', which is a bit unusual for me, but I'm getting freaking mad at this whole brexit folly that I couldn't give  damn about, nor could many of my friends. So at the next GE, expect the LD's to gain more seats than at present from the marginal tory seats - it's inevitable, as they'll be given a free run by the pro-EU parties.

11 hours ago, JamesBlond said:

It's perfectly clear what's going on. There's no deal because the EU won't allow a deal - they'll always concoct some reason to scupper it. The reason? They are petrified that the EU will crumble (as it will sooner of later) and so they are making make damn sure to punish anyone who tries to leave with several years of trauma even in the process of leaving. 

It's punitive, it's petulant, it's pathetic. They will give in only at the last minute, having screwed the UK psychologically for as long as possible. You'll see.

Once we are out we need to make the EU burn in hell for this.

And in a parallel clearer universe, a leaver has spoken...

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

The process is to agree tariffs with WTO after we've left. We are a member of WTO now and will remain a member. Sheesh, I thought Remainers were supposed to be the smart ones ????.

What do you think will happen November 1st with No Deal? You think all trade between the UK and the rest of the world will stop? ????‍♂️????

Read the last para again. The Uk would have to start again from scratch, really. Anyway, it won't happen.

1 minute ago, stephenterry said:

I'm not a leaver - I didn't vote in the referendum and I didn't hear any of the political arguments at the time.

I'm a disbander and always have been since Maastricht. I don't recognise the validity of the EU supranational state so the concept of 'leaving' or doing a 'deal' is irrelevant to me.

22 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

I'm not a leaver - I didn't vote in the referendum and I didn't hear any of the political arguments at the time.

I'm a disbander and always have been since Maastricht. I don't recognise the validity of the EU supranational state so the concept of 'leaving' or doing a 'deal' is irrelevant to me.

Ah, you're a prisoner who doesn't recognize the court. 

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

You don't 'agree' tariffs with the WTO.

You have your own listed set - for all imports into the UK.

And...you face the stated lists that each country in the world/trading bloc has.

The only way to get away from these stated schedual of tariffs is to negotiating an FTA.

So you'll be facing EU tariffs from day one, cause you wont have an FTA, and you'll begin to face the standard tariff rates of each of the countries where you used to have an FTA via the EU's FTAs. Inevitably, these standard tariff rates will be higher and more punitive.

But fear not, with a good 20 years worth of negotiations you'll be able to get FTAs up and running with these countries again, but on lesser terms given you haven't got the benefit of being part of a huge trading bloc which can press a better deal.

But being plucky brits, winding up with a half arsed trade deal less preferential from what you already have now will be worth it no doubt.

4 minutes ago, samran said:

You don't 'agree' tariffs with the WTO.

You have your own listed set - for all imports into the UK.

And...you face the stated lists that each country in the world/trading bloc has.

The only way to get away from these stated schedual of tariffs is to negotiating an FTA.

So you'll be facing EU tariffs from day one, cause you wont have an FTA, and you'll begin to face the standard tariff rates of each of the countries where you used to have an FTA via the EU's FTAs. Inevitably, these standard tariff rates will be higher and more punitive.

But fear not, with a good 20 years worth of negotiations you'll be able to get FTAs up and running with these countries again, but on lesser terms given you haven't got the benefit of being part of a huge trading bloc which can press a better deal.

But being plucky brits, winding up with a half arsed trade deal less preferential from what you already have now will be worth it no doubt.

20 years???????

We've done a few already and we haven't even left yet. You Project Fear peddlers are like a maniacal religious cult ????. Once we're out of the EU we'll be able to sign FTA's very quickly, we won't have a chain attached to the cumbersome intransigent monolithic 'empire' that is the EU. 

Until then, yes, tariffs BOTH WAYS with the EU. Not an attractive proposition for the German car makers as their economy teeters on the brink of recession. 

https://www.ft.com/content/46f8f9a8-ed4a-11e9-ad1e-4367d8281195

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/10/germanys-ailing-economy-cant-afford-a-no-deal-brexit/

16 hours ago, david555 said:

So this one 100% reliable I think …. at least for the hard core brexiteers ? ????

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/10/15/brexit-news-latest-boris-johnson-deal-eu-brussels-barnier/

Live

Brexit latest news: EU will call another summit if UK misses midnight deadline for a deal

That is usually known as the Torygraph which is much like the Guardian but biased the other way.

TBH the only (but boringly long winded) way is to find your topic and run through them all and you may get closer to the middle opinion.

I rarely read any of the UK papers on Brexit any more because for every columnists opinion you can find the opposite in a different paper.

16 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

And what is the will of people at present? ????

Nobody really knows and that is the real problem.

You take an opinion poll and you can ask the questions to lead to the answer you want. Grass root Tories will give one answer, die hard Labour supporters a different one, Lib/Dems, Greens, SNP, Welsh Nats will all be different.

There will even be regional differences within the same partys. 

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

That is usually known as the Torygraph which is much like the Guardian but biased the other way.

TBH the only (but boringly long winded) way is to find your topic and run through them all and you may get closer to the middle opinion.

I rarely read any of the UK papers on Brexit any more because for every columnists opinion you can find the opposite in a different paper.

if both say same thing with a little sided story as to their ideology ...I can think the reported case is true …..can we now raise the E.U. Flagg at Stormont ….? ( the backside garden will do for the moment ...???? )

14 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Do you understand the process for WTO membership? Take us through it.

Because the UK isn't a WTO member the EU is.

So many Brexiters repeat WTO like demented parrots - because Farage, Gove and Johnson also do.

So please, for the benefit of everyone, explain exactly what the process is?

Sorry to <deleted> your bubble but the UK IS a member of the WTO and GATT as well.

https://www.wto.org/english/thewto_e/countries_e/united_kingdom_e.htm

United Kingdom and the WTO
This page gathers information on the United Kingdom's participation in the WTO. The United Kingdom has been a WTO member since 1 January 1995 and  a member of GATT since 1 January 1948. It is a member State of the European Union (more info). All EU member States are WTO members, as is the EU (until 30 November 2009 known officially in the WTO as the European Communities for legal reasons) in its own right.

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

So all these "experts" who say brexit will damage the economy by 8-20% are wrong ? What do you base your opinion on ?

1 hour ago, stephenterry said:

Bill, I'm copying how leavers present their statements. Haven't you noticed posters on here quoting?  It's 'always when WE leave or WE voted to leave, or WE'RE going to leave, come what may, etc etc ?

As for the Lib Dems, it's your and your many friends choice - my response was a bit 'tongue in the cheek', which is a bit unusual for me, but I'm getting freaking mad at this whole brexit folly that I couldn't give  damn about, nor could many of my friends. So at the next GE, expect the LD's to gain more seats than at present from the marginal tory seats - it's inevitable, as they'll be given a free run by the pro-EU parties.

I agree with you 99%.

I have no real idea about the next GE but I think that most political parties and their MPs will be under intense scrutiny until the next GE and wondering if they will survive or actually go out and find a real job (if there still any left by then).

1 hour ago, stephenterry said:

But he didn't speak for me.

29 minutes ago, david555 said:

if both say same thing with a little sided story as to their ideology ...I can think the reported case is true …..can we now raise the E.U. Flagg at Stormont ….? ( the backside garden will do for the moment ...???? )

I haven't got any national flags out here in rural Khampaeng Phet, but if I did it would be the flag of St George.

St Georges flag.jpg

13 hours ago, sanemax said:

Yes, all Remainers are nice clever people and all Brexiteers are stupid racists .

May as well just keep repeating that over and over again until Brexiteers see the light and want to Remain 

Given the requirement to see the light would mean losing the stupidity, I won’t hold my breath. 

12 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I haven't got any national flags out here in rural Khampaeng Phet, but if I did it would be the flag of St George.

St Georges flag.jpg

yeah …, you better get used already to that one ….as the blue part is on his own way 

13 hours ago, JamesBlond said:

It's perfectly clear what's going on. There's no deal because the EU wont allow a deal 

Oh but they will, they will allow the deal they want and given BoJo is capitulating by the minute, are going to get.

Its hilarious the EU negotiating team have sat on their hands watching fatty  fire off statement after statement, threat after threat, running around Europe like an overweight child appealing to economic retards and at the end of it all ? It ends on the EU’s terms ! 

Great work BoJo - now the process can start to join up again. 

27 minutes ago, Bruntoid said:

Oh but they will, they will allow the deal they want and given BoJo is capitulating by the minute, are going to get.

Its hilarious the EU negotiating team have sat on their hands watching fatty  fire off statement after statement, threat after threat, running around Europe like an overweight child appealing to economic retards and at the end of it all ? It ends on the EU’s terms ! 

Great work BoJo - now the process can start to join up again. 

But we hold all the cards !

Archived