Brexit hangs in the balance as EU doubts a deal this week

webfact

He's entitled to his opinion. Do you not prefer your own culture? Do answer, because the question lays to rest every idle or scurrilous accusation of racism there is. Refuse to answer, lose the argument.

I should have added, by the way, that we need to Brexit from Eurovision too, for reasons of national dignity.
JamesBlond, I think your 13 year old is posting on your account.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Bruntoid said:

Absolutely nothing - there has never been a single economic strategy/theory/idea from a brexiteer on here that makes any sense let alone stand up to scrutiny.

They base the new age on WTO rules yet not one of them understands it. Even with google on tap they can’t get it right. 

It is entirely based on hope 

Blind faith

https://news.sky.com/story/pm-will-write-letter-to-eu-asking-for-brexit-delay-if-no-deal-by-saturday-11836845

Breaking 

Wednesday 16 October 2019 12:11, UK

PM will write letter to EU asking for Brexit delay if no deal by Saturday

Brexit Secretary Stephen Barclay tells MPs that Boris Johnson will "comply" with court undertakings over an Article 50 extension.

Boris Johnson will write a letter to the EU asking for a delay to Brexit beyond 31 October if he fails to get an exit deal approved by parliament by Saturday, the Brexit secretary has confirmed.

Stephen Barclay told a committee of MPs that the prime minister will "comply" with legislation, aimed at blocking a no-deal Brexit at the end of the month, passed by opposition MPs last month.

1 minute ago, oldhippy said:

Blind Faith is much better then Cliff Richard, or that Fizz thing that I had never heard of.

They are a new modern day pop band  , you can hear them listening to the hit parade on the wireless on Radio Caroline at 7 PM on Sunday evenings .

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

They are a new modern day pop band  , you can hear them listening to the hit parade on the wireless on Radio Caroline at 7 PM on Sunday evenings .

Radio Caroline?

I hope this ship will not be victim of the walls that Bojo is building in the Irish channel / the French channel.

Oh well, it's OK, as long as we can listen to radio Junker Luxemburg.

9 hours ago, billd766 said:

Nobody really knows and that is the real problem.

You take an opinion poll and you can ask the questions to lead to the answer you want. Grass root Tories will give one answer, die hard Labour supporters a different one, Lib/Dems, Greens, SNP, Welsh Nats will all be different.

There will even be regional differences within the same partys. 

I had no idea where to post this but I guess here's as good as any ????

Petition for the English to have an Independence referendum.

(Don't shoot the messenger!)

8 hours ago, Denim said:

Ah ........so kill off no deal....but vote down any deal that is thrashed out.

So basically continue going nowhere for quite a while yet.

Great news for the newspaper industry

Oh for f- (sorry, mod).

We HAVE to leave. So now let us take our leave on the friendliest terms possible and take it from there.

Parliament - stop f- (sorry mods, again) squabbling and agree to SOMETHING! Just go with the bloody deal and stop messing about. Not only is this Brexit draining our economy, it is draining the life force from all of us.

Maybe a lot of third countries will agree the same terms as we had in the EU for a short time, because they don’t know what we are doing, and we are unable to tell them; it will take time for them to relocate whatever EU facilities they have in the UK to other countries, so don’t want to be too hasty.  Idiots! It’s a lot easier to set artificial deadlines and panic at the last minute, or the job never gets done.

3 minutes ago, baboon said:

Oh for f- (sorry, mod).

We HAVE to leave. So now let us take our leave on the friendliest terms possible and take it from there.

Parliament - stop f- (sorry mods, again) squabbling and agree to SOMETHING! Just go with the bloody deal and stop messing about. Not only is this Brexit draining our economy, it is draining the life force from all of us.

Agreement is for traitors. We should be building nuclear-armed fisheries protection vessels to protect us from bureaucracy and the aggression of fishermen; who amongst us would oppose pre-emptive strikes before Oct. 31st against European capitals, in anticipation of their belligerent intransigence in negotiating a deal?

14 minutes ago, baboon said:

Oh for f- (sorry, mod).

But there is this slight problem...

23 minutes ago, baboon said:

Oh for f- (sorry, mod).

Maybe you should arm yourself with a clove of garlic and a crucifix.

5 minutes ago, tebee said:

I wish to remain. But 'Leave' won the vote and are steadfast. Neither side can just urinate all over the other. We MUST seek a compromise.

8 minutes ago, tebee said:

The truth is no longer relevant in the post-fact world.  You are fighting the last war, relying on facts and logic.  In the Facebook era, that is like cavalry in the Somme.

I made sure my kids did their Duke of Edinburgh award, as well as their exams; I hope they can shoplift, and I am sorry neither took to boxing, as I am not sure which skills they will need post-Brexit.

1 hour ago, baboon said:

I wish to remain. But 'Leave' won the vote and are steadfast. Neither side can just urinate all over the other. We MUST seek a compromise.

But the sensible compromises - some sort of Norway + or - - were all thrown out with the bathwater in the early days after the referendum.

Indeed, some on the remain side thought TM was still a closet remainer and was deliberately pursuing a completely impractical form of leave so it would get thrown out eventually. But, no, she was just so stupid that she ran with it and then nothing but the hardest of brexit became acceptable.

Do you see any compromise that might be acceptable ?    

13 hours ago, oldhippy said:

QUOTE: Do you not prefer your own culture?

I prefer chicken curry over toast with sugary tomato beans on top.

Also I prefer sitar music over hooligans.

13 hours ago, oldhippy said:

QUOTE: I should have added, by the way, that we need to Brexit from Eurovision too, for reasons of national dignity.

I agree, Cliff Richard with "Congratulations" was an insult to British Rock Music.

12 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Put a teaspoon of curry powder in your beans and you have the best of both worlds.

Used to listen to my Dad's Ravi Shankar records as a kid, probably why  i love listening to the Isssan phin being played now.

Oh dear, Cliff Richard, Bucks Fizz, Radio Caroline, Baked beans, Eurovision song contest, all things I thought I had managed to forget. Somehow they find you even in the mountains of Northern Thailand. 

The Phin is great, but the Can is amazing. Ravi Shankar was wonderful, but Ali Akbar Khan was God. I had a record - in the 60s-  of them playing together - totally blew me away. Nightmare looming of beans on toast replacing Dtom Yum Koong. 

14 hours ago, JonnyF said:

More nonsense. Continuity deals can roll over existing trade agreements as well, not only regulatory alignment.

For example, the deal with South Korea covers trade and we have 2 years to renegotiate it. Feel free to continue spouting more rubbish though. 

image.png.a587a33a595c34d917bdf5131ec44da4.png 

But these "deals" simply carry on what we already have and are only temporary. 

Any new deal will be negotiated with the UK being in a position of weakness. We wont have the backing of the worlds largest trading block any more so countries like India, China, USA and Japan are going to rip into us. Imagine what the EU is going to do.

49 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

But these "deals" simply carry on what we already have and are only temporary. 

Any new deal will be negotiated with the UK being in a position of weakness. We wont have the backing of the worlds largest trading block any more so countries like India, China, USA and Japan are going to rip into us. Imagine what the EU is going to do.

The Brexiteers don't like to mention that our attraction as a market will decrease from well over 500 million people to 67 million. Little England literally.

On 10/15/2019 at 10:55 AM, bert bloggs said:

If it happens ,the EU will take it to the wire ,any bets?

Here we go again blame the EU, They are in Brussels waiting for Boris.

Boris spent most of yesterday trying to come up with a deal that the ERG and DUP will accept, this is a guy who really believes Farther Christmases sledge is pulled by Unicorns and all those Tory MP's he F'ed Off the other week are going to vote for his deal when in reality the whole of the Tory party is falling apart like a clowns car at the circus.

19 hours ago, tebee said:

But we hold all the cards !

More like a busted flush, IMO. What could happen is for johnson to get a deal worse than May's and  persuade parliament it's the best he can get, and if they want to leave, vote for it. And when the tories win the GE they'll have the power base on their side for future negotiations with the EU. 

IMO, parliament hasn't got the appetite to reject yet another deal, as they're probably as sick to the gills with brexit as I am.

19 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Actually it is the no-deal Brexit tribe that want to trash any agreement.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Don't agree for the obvious reason that a deal could well be passed by parliament. Whether that's true or not is irrelevant, but it's nearer reality than the above statement.

One thing most of us can agree on this uncertainty is damaging to the UK and our economy.

An there is only one thing Boris can legally do that would not require him requesting another extension. 

And The EU Parliament, EU Member States, EU Bureaucrats, Westminster or any other UK legislative body including his cabinet or the Queen, can stop, refuse to accept or reverse.

That is to Revoke Article 50, Parliament could sake him but they are going to anyway. 

8 hours ago, tebee said:

But the sensible compromises - some sort of Norway + or - - were all thrown out with the bathwater in the early days after the referendum.

Indeed, some on the remain side thought TM was still a closet remainer and was deliberately pursuing a completely impractical form of leave so it would get thrown out eventually. But, no, she was just so stupid that she ran with it and then nothing but the hardest of brexit became acceptable.

Do you see any compromise that might be acceptable ?    

Dust off May's deal and market it to the great unwashed as a radical new breakthrough. How many of them will have read it in the first place?

21 minutes ago, baboon said:

Dust off May's deal and market it to the great unwashed as a radical new breakthrough. How many of them will have read it in the first place?

You could also ask how many of them read the Treaty of rome in the first place?

20 minutes ago, Basil B said:

One thing most of us can agree on this uncertainty is damaging to the UK and our economy.

I'm sorry but you've fallen for the Brexiteer rhetoric. For argument's sake, let's take the value of the £ as an indicator of the state of the UK economy.

Immediately after the vote for Brexit, the £ fell like a stone. This wasn't due to "uncertainty", it was due to the prospect of the UK leaving the EU, causing irrevocable damage to the UK economy.

Currently, every time that there's the slightest prospect that we leave with no deal, the £ drops, every time a no deal exit seems less lightly, the £ recovers. This isn't due to "uncertainty", it's due to the certainty of the long term damage that a no deal exit would do to the UK economy.

Daniel Cummings will have you believe that the fragility in the economy and the low value of the £ is due to "uncertainty" and once we have left the EU, deal or no deal, everything in the garden will be rosey, the UK economy will flourish and the value of the £ will reach new heights. If this were true, why would the £ fall every time exit and particularly no deal exit looks more certain and rise when it seems less certain?

Don't listen to Cummings' lies, listen to the global economists, they deal in hard nosed facts, leaving the EU will be a disaster for the UK economy. They know this, so should you.

Uncertainty? My backside!

Archived