BANGKOK
webfact

Brexit hangs in the balance as EU doubts a deal this week

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

Likening Brexit Britain to Morrissey is, in some respects, unfortunately apt.

Morrissey reaffirms support for far-right party and claims 'everyone prefers their own race'

"Morrissey has reaffirmed his support for the far-right, anti-Islam party For Britain and suggested that Nigel Farage “would make a good prime minister”."

He's entitled to his opinion. Do you not prefer your own culture? Do answer, because the question lays to rest every idle or scurrilous accusation of racism there is. Refuse to answer, lose the argument.

I should have added, by the way, that we need to Brexit from Eurovision too, for reasons of national dignity.

14 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

He's entitled to his opinion. Do you not prefer your own culture? Do answer, because the question lays to rest every idle or scurrilous accusation of racism there is. Refuse to answer, lose the argument.

I should have added, by the way, that we need to Brexit from Eurovision too, for reasons of national dignity.

QUOTE: Do you not prefer your own culture?

I prefer chicken curry over toast with sugary tomato beans on top.

Also I prefer sitar music over hooligans.

Edited by oldhippy
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, JonnyF said:

20 years???🤣

We've done a few already and we haven't even left yet. You Project Fear peddlers are like a maniacal religious cult 🤪. Once we're out of the EU we'll be able to sign FTA's very quickly, we won't have a chain attached to the cumbersome intransigent monolithic 'empire' that is the EU. 

Until then, yes, tariffs BOTH WAYS with the EU. Not an attractive proposition for the German car makers as their economy teeters on the brink of recession. 

https://www.ft.com/content/46f8f9a8-ed4a-11e9-ad1e-4367d8281195

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/10/germanys-ailing-economy-cant-afford-a-no-deal-brexit/

You mean those deal with Tunisia, the Faeroe Islands and the Palestinian Authority? Yeah, major trade partners those...

The EU Canada FTA started in 2004, finally got over the line in 2016 from memory.

Nafta was signed in 1992, after 6 years of negotiation and first proposed in 1980.

So you’ll need 20 years to get the deals and a patchwork of non comparable trade deals, just to get back what you’ve lost from throwing away the seamless access you have to the EU. 

Yeah, so they take a while. Not project fear, just history and fact. Hope it isn’t too much reality all in one post for you on your barstool. 

Edited by samran
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, samran said:

The EU Canada FTA started in 2004, finally got over the line in 2016 from memory.

Nafta was signed in 1992, after 6 years of negotiation and first proposed in 1980.

Yeah, so they take a while. Not project fear, just history and fact. Hope it isn’t too much reality all in one post for you on your barstool. 

And don't forget that most FTA's don't cover a lot of what is covered by the single market, like equal access for services.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

QUOTE: I should have added, by the way, that we need to Brexit from Eurovision too, for reasons of national dignity.

I agree, Cliff Richard with "Congratulations" was an insult to British Rock Music.

16 minutes ago, samran said:

You mean those deal with Tunisia, the Faeroe Islands and the Palestinian Authority? Yeah, major trade partners those...

So you’ll need 20 years to get the deals and a patchwork of non comparable trade deals, just to get back what you’ve lost from throwing away the seamless access you have to the EU. 

Well we all know how quick the EU are at securing trade deals. They make a sloth look dynamic.

We've done around 15 deals so far but then we haven't even left yet. We have continuity deals with the likes of Norway, Switzerland, South Korea, Central America etc. Many others in the pipeline.

As for the barstool comment, not very original, not particularly amusing. "A" for effort, "D" for attainment. 😴.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I prefer chicken curry over toast with sugary tomato beans on top.

Also I prefer sitar music over hooligans.

Put a teaspoon of curry powder in your beans and you have the best of both worlds.

Used to listen to my Dad's Ravi Shankar records as a kid, probably why  i love listening to the Isssan phin being played now.

• Like 2

QUOTE: I should have added, by the way, that we need to Brexit from Eurovision too, for reasons of national dignity.

I agree, Cliff Richard with "Congratulations" was an insult to British Rock Music.
Not a patch on Bucks Fizz.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

Well we all know how quick the EU are at securing trade deals. They make a sloth look dynamic.

We've done around 15 deals so far but then we haven't even left yet. We have continuity deals with the likes of Norway, Switzerland, South Korea, Central America etc. Many others in the pipeline.

As for the barstool comment, not very original, not particularly amusing. "A" for effort, "D" for attainment. [emoji42].
Note the word "continuity".

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

As for the barstool comment, not very original, not particularly amusing. "A" for effort, "D" for attainment. 😴.

Continuity deals aren't trade deals for the most part, just a 'status quo' on the existing regulatory arrangements. ie. We'll still recognise this bit of paper on guaranteeing the quality of this good if you recognise ours.

They can, and will change once the trade dynamics become clearer, and you'll have much less leverage to negotiate them.

As for the barstool comment, yes apologies to all who sit on bar stools. You clearly are just making it up as you go along.

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, samran said:

Continuity deals aren't trade deals for the most part, just a 'status quo' on the existing regulatory arrangements. They can, and will change once the trade dynamics become clearer, and you'll have much less leverage to negotiate them.

As for the barstool comment, yes apologies to all who sit on bar stools. You clearly are just making it up as you go along.

More nonsense. Continuity deals can roll over existing trade agreements as well, not only regulatory alignment.

For example, the deal with South Korea covers trade and we have 2 years to renegotiate it. Feel free to continue spouting more rubbish though. 

image.png.a587a33a595c34d917bdf5131ec44da4.png 

• Haha 1