Brexit hangs in the balance as EU doubts a deal this week

webfact

16 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Revert back to revoking article 50. Retain our borders and waters we never lost. UK law has always been prevalent. Pay the dues owed. and junk brexit in the garbage where it belongs.

Typical Lib Dem codswallop but not so much of the dem, as real democrats would not ignore and just scrap a democratic vote put of hand. UK law always prevalent - as long as there is no conflicting EU law - haw haw haw. 

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Typical Lib Dem codswallop but not so much of the dem, as real democrats would not ignore and just scrap a democratic vote put of hand. UK law always prevalent - as long as there is no conflicting EU law - haw haw haw. 

Well, we will all vote for the Lib Dems come the next GE if johnson fails in his suicide bid as their codswallop suits us down to the ground. That's British democracy in action - a decision by MPs to remain. Goody.

The UK laws are always prevalent, albeit the EU law should also be considered if there is a conflict, but could be disregarded/overridden. That's factual. Look it up.

And on a final note tonight, if johnson manages to get a deal and pass it through parliament, that's another win-win for us. Because we couldn't give a toss about leaving or remaining, as long as this brexit folly is freaking resolved.  

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

No problem, I'm always happy to explain. It's a clean break because we are out of every agreement. We will be self ruling. We will have control of our waters and borders. Jurisdiction will be by UK courts. We keep the 39 Billion. Why is that so difficult to understand?

Then we can start to negotiate a trade deal (assuming the EU want to keep the 70 Billion pound trade surplus and don't want Germany to slip into recession). Until then, trade under WTO terms with the EU. If they want to use GATT 24 while negotiating, fine. 

The way you Remainers carry on, you'd think every other country that isn't in the EU is doomed as well. There's life outside the EU. Open your eyes. 

And the UK will get India and the Americas back again - and Britannia will rule the seas!

Meanwhile, back on planet earth...

2 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

If it happens ,the EU will take it to the wire ,any bets?

I have been thinking that for a while whilst Teresa May was running it with the help of the Remainer politicians and she was a pushover for the EU.

Since she got booted out the Eu has realised that Boris is a Leaver and not so easy to push about. The Remainers in parliament have realised that too which is why they took control and hog tied Boris. 

Gina Miller also involved the courts again.

It is almost as though nobody listens to the voters any more.

IMHO there is now little if any trust in UK politicians any more and when the next general election comes along there will be wholesale decimations in ALL political parties.

1 hour ago, david555 said:

Daniel Boffey in Luxembourg

Tue 15 Oct 2019 11.14 BST

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/15/barnier-brexit-deal-difficult-but-possible-this-week

Barnier sets Johnson a midnight deadline for Brexit concessions

Chief negotiator tells EU ministers UK must agree to Irish Sea customs border

Michel Barnier has set Boris Johnson a midnight deadline to concede to EU demands and agree to a customs border in the Irish Sea or be left with nothing to take to the Commons.

According to sources, the EU’s chief negotiator told ministers that, as it stood, there was no prospect of a deal being signed off by leaders at a summit on Thursday, before a special sitting of the UK parliament on Saturday.

more...

From the Guardian.

That bastion of truth and honesty, totally unbiased newspaper in the UK.

???? ???? ???? ???? ????

With Extinction Rebellion threatening more disruption, couldn't somebody a mob of its supporters to occupy the Houses of Parliament for a couple of weeks?

It would enhance of chances of getting a clean-break Brexit done while similtaneously freeing the capital's streets of their unwanted clutter of human cabbages.

47 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Well, we will all vote for the Lib Dems come the next GE if johnson fails in his suicide bid as their codswallop suits us down to the ground. That's British democracy in action - a decision by MPs to remain. Goody.

The UK laws are always prevalent, albeit the EU law should also be considered if there is a conflict, but could be disregarded/overridden. That's factual. Look it up.

And on a final note tonight, if johnson manages to get a deal and pass it through parliament, that's another win-win for us. Because we couldn't give a toss about leaving or remaining, as long as this brexit folly is freaking resolved.  

We as in you may vote Lib/Dem but I certainly won't, nor will that many of my friends either.

9 minutes ago, billd766 said:

From the Guardian.

That bastion of truth and honesty, totally unbiased newspaper in the UK.

???? ???? ???? ???? ????

So this one 100% reliable I think …. at least for the hard core brexiteers ? ????

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/10/15/brexit-news-latest-boris-johnson-deal-eu-brussels-barnier/

Live

Brexit latest news: EU will call another summit if UK misses midnight deadline for a deal

4 hours ago, tyga said:

Why do people get so stressed about extensions? It's not like their flight just got delayed at Heathrow (though it will if this no deal goes ahead). It is not like your average British worker is personally inconvenienced or involved in any other way. They can go about their daily lives until the best deal is achieved. You've got to hand it to Murdoch, he really got a lot of British voters to get stressed about this issue to take action whatever the immediate short term cost to the nation. Pity he can't do the same about climate change, which is a real emergency!

Those naive Extinction Rebellion protesters gumming up London should be wearing T-shirts bearing the words "Useful Idiot" - the phrase used by the Soviet oligarchs to describe foreigners conned into spreading the Communist credo across the capitalist West.

Whatever thousands of well intentioned well-intentioned marchers, strikers and gluers may believe, big business is not pouring billions into backing the environmental movement or assure the futures of their or our children and grandchildren. The real goal is to rescue a dying capitalist system rapidly running out of markets to exploit.

The object of the exercise is twofold - to “greenwash” the current activities of some of the most egregious polluters, and to build a fourth industrial revolution based around “solutions” to the imaginary climate “catastrophe” we are being brainwashed into believing is just around the corner.

Follow the money. . .

http://www.wrongkindofgreen.org/2019/01/17/the-manufacturing-of-greta-thunberg-for-consent-the-political-economy-of-the-non-profit-industrial-complex/

They've had three years to sort this out if we were going to leave we would have left.

I still believe Boris Johnson is acting there is no way he's going to leave with no deal , remember he is the epitome of the establishment.

They will keep fudging it until we get fed up and we stay the same.

by the way we need to do something either leave or remain it's all this uncertainty that is killing business and people's lives are being affected.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Bad decision does not trump uncertainty.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I think the arguments for getting Brexit sorted have been expressed here over and over.  It's the uncertainty that is so damaging.  It keeps the pound horribly low and businesses don't know whether they can push ahead with expansion or look at downsizing.  It does affect everyone, one way or another and just like climate change, action is needed now!
No. Its the risk of no-deal Brexit which is damaging.

It's so amazing to see the short memory of people.

Obviously BJ's plan is very similarly to TM's plan. Irish sea is the real border. Bit new is that NI and Scotland are on the move. 

The parliament might not agree as they showed already with TM. 

The best would be to stay just for the time the parliament will need for a decision..... with BJ or without, with or without election.

It might take time. 

Maybe that lost island is flooded in the meantime because of climate change and we write 2100????????

I don't know if I should go ahead with my house purchase in France or not.
After Brexit, it's suggested I'll only be allowed to use it 90 days a year
If no Brexit, I can live there 24/7.

Every business deal is going to be affected in similar ways.
Either do it, or cancel it, but just stop prevaricating.
Prevarification is underrated.

With Extinction Rebellion threatening more disruption, couldn't somebody a mob of its supporters to occupy the Houses of Parliament for a couple of weeks?

It would enhance of chances of getting a clean-break Brexit done while similtaneously freeing the capital's streets of their unwanted clutter of human cabbages.
Hard Brexiteer still wanting Parliament disrupted.

I have been thinking that for a while whilst Teresa May was running it with the help of the Remainer politicians and she was a pushover for the EU.

Since she got booted out the Eu has realised that Boris is a Leaver and not so easy to push about. The Remainers in parliament have realised that too which is why they took control and hog tied Boris. 

Gina Miller also involved the courts again.

It is almost as though nobody listens to the voters any more.

IMHO there is now little if any trust in UK politicians any more and when the next general election comes along there will be wholesale decimations in ALL political parties.
Some extremists fancy their luck. As always.

No problem, I'm always happy to explain. It's a clean break because we are out of every agreement. We will be self ruling. We will have control of our waters and borders. Jurisdiction will be by UK courts. We keep the 39 Billion. Why is that so difficult to understand?

Then we can start to negotiate a trade deal (assuming the EU want to keep the 70 Billion pound trade surplus and don't want Germany to slip into recession). Until then, trade under WTO terms with the EU. If they want to use GATT 24 while negotiating, fine. 

The way you Remainers carry on, you'd think every other country that isn't in the EU is doomed as well. There's life outside the EU. Open your eyes. 
Any Hard Brexiteers out there who understand any economics?

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I don't know if I should go ahead with my house purchase in France or not.

After Brexit, it's suggested I'll only be allowed to use it 90 days a year

If no Brexit, I can live there 24/7.

Every business deal is going to be affected in similar ways.

Either do it, or cancel it, but just stop prevaricating.

Wonderful news to hear that you've suddenly received a lot of money and can now afford to purchase a house in France , it was just a few weeks ago that you were unable to afford to go to England .

How did you suddenly become rich ?

Archived