Hotel manager salary in Chiang Mai

Bassosa

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guess it doesn’t matter if the room rate is 400 Baht per night or 15,000 B/night. A manager is a manager?

I surely would pay more for a manager of expensive rooms. Why wouldn’t you?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 minute ago, Bill97 said:

Guess it doesn’t matter if the room rate is 400 Baht per night or 15,000 B/night. A manager is a manager?

I surely would pay more for a manager of expensive rooms. Why wouldn’t you?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Brand new 3* boutique hotel in prime location - room rates between 1500-2000 per night.

Some off topic posts have been removed. I think the OP was just implying 80k was quite high.

Maybe doable in one of the larger hotels but very unlikely in a small place. Also remember you would need a fair bit of experience to get a job like this. There are a number of people who have had many years in the business that would be eligible for the top jobs.

2 hours ago, Bassosa said:

Really?

That's one hell of a salary for a Thai

You want an experienced manager who will be given authority and have responsibility you will need to pay.  You want something less, probably much less like Sally's "generic overseer" you can certainly pay less but undoubtedly have bigger problems.

You say it is a hell of a salary for a Thai, first time you mentioned Thai.  What do you know about salaries to make such a comment?  There are a lot of Thais making 50-100 thousand per month.  Has to be since they are making payments on a lot of expensive homes and vehicles, 25-30,000 in fixed monthly payments plus some kids in private schools or university will quickly double that.

2 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Two of my managers (Thai) were earning in excess of Thb120k over month, 13th month contractually guaranteed plus bonus depending on company’s results. Travel industry.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

What I meant to say that it's a hell of salary for a manager who overseas no more than 4 staff members in a 16-room boutique hotel without F&B.

Depends if your hiring a Thai or foreigner.

It has the finances to hire a foreigner

Here is a small example a fairly new hotel in CM probably meant to be 3 start rated but their booking.com is 7.2

Now we see an upsurge in hotel improvement in CM but can they keep up the requisite standard 

even if its Chinese owned they still have the same mentality of washing the mop on ground floor and doing the entire property

Nothing over eye line is cleaned if we don't touch it  mai pen rai

light switches yuk

Thai standards and western at 3 star level different, just my opinion not bashing

of course opens another argument are we to fussy in the west

its the thing with the mop 

its a mop and bucket where the hell is the bucket mai pen rai ok

so this explosion of better accommodation may be a short lived venture

it always baffles me why someone would let their investment run into the ground no matter what star rating it is.

I recall an article a few years ago 'The West has nothing to teach Thailand in hospitality'

Maybe they are right only time will tell and yes it is an over saturated market principally aimed at Chinese visitors

What I meant to say that it's a hell of salary for a manager who overseas no more than 4 staff members in a 16-room boutique hotel without F&B.

Now down from 20 rooms to 16.
No F&B? No breakfast? 3 star???
4 staff can not be real. One 24/7 is 3 total already.

I stay in a place with 17 rooms, serves breakfast, about 3 star and they have 20+ staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

19 hours ago, cmsally said:

The market of 3 star boutique in a price range of approx 1500 Bt is pretty saturated. I would say they are not going to be able to afford a "manager" as such. More a generic overseer to check stuff gets done.

which is one way of describing a manager

I was a GM for a 3 star property in the N.E. of Thailand. In total 5 years, 2009 to 2015.

15,000bht per month plus room and board. 36 room boutique guest house with about 20 or so staff.

Flat out busy during peak season.

Off season absolutely blissful!

Worked 6 days a week 2x12 hour shifts & 4x10 hour shifts....tuesdays off.

25 minutes ago, rct99q said:

I was a GM for a 3 star property in the N.E. of Thailand. In total 5 years, 2009 to 2015.

15,000bht per month plus room and board. 36 room boutique guest house with about 20 or so staff.

Flat out busy during peak season.

Off season absolutely blissful!

Worked 6 days a week 2x12 hour shifts & 4x10 hour shifts....tuesdays off.

Thanks. Good to hear some real numbers.

We were thinking of offering 17k-20k base salary plus bonuses based on occupancy numbers and holiday pay of one month.

We're also offering a 28m2 studio in Nimman for the manager to live in, perhaps in the hopes of luring a young but experienced manager from Bangkok.

I'm stunned about the staff numbers, 20 staff for 36 rooms, wow!

40 minutes ago, Bassosa said:

Thanks. Good to hear some real numbers.

We were thinking of offering 17k-20k base salary plus bonuses based on occupancy numbers and holiday pay of one month.

We're also offering a 28m2 studio in Nimman for the manager to live in, perhaps in the hopes of luring a young but experienced manager from Bangkok.

You would get more applications if you offered 25000 withOUT room and standard holiday instead of a full month .

also yearly bonus instead of occupancy based one.

i am In hotel business for over a decade in Thailand, so have some ideas and experience 

would never give any staff board. Most if not all from past experience assume they can do anything and use all facilities for feee. Including their laundry down to toilet paper or having housekeeping to clean their room as well. 

If you want to let them go, getting them to vacate is another headache 

1 hour ago, Bassosa said:

20/36 is, I presume, the number that was signed in as "present".

How many are doing something productive for the business and for how many hours each day could possibly be another number.

3 hours ago, BestB said:

You would get more applications if you offered 25000 withOUT room and standard holiday instead of a full month .

also yearly bonus instead of occupancy based one.

i am In hotel business for over a decade in Thailand, so have some ideas and experience. 

would never give any staff board. Most if not all from past experience assume they can do anything and use all facilities for feee. Including their laundry down to toilet paper or having housekeeping to clean their room as well. 

If you want to let them go, getting them to vacate is another headache 

Thanks for your comments. Will give it some thought.

You mention that a yearly bonus is better than a performance-based one? Why is that? I always thought that it would be better to offer some skin in the game, so a busy hotel actually is lucrative for the employees? We're actually considering a longevity bonus of sorts as wel...

The condo is in Nimman, but the hotel is in the old town, so the employee doesn't live onsite. I understand that this doesn't necessarily stop them from taking toiletries and toilet paper. We're still figuring out how to control that.

Archived