BANGKOK
Bassosa

Hotel manager salary in Chiang Mai

Betting those number 2s are making a lot more than 17-23k the OP talked about.  

How do you put a cost on going crazy and getting physically sick?  

I congratulate you guys on getting through it successfully.  I managed it for some years okay but decided anything over 5 or 6 employees was too much.  They just got too much <deleted> going on between them when the numbers got large.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BestB said:

That is very true, but very hard to find number 2. My number 2 has been with me for 8 years and she no longer lets me speak with staff whenever there is an issue, not because she thinks i can not manage them, but because she knows they will look me straight in the eyes and lie. So she always speaks with them first and then gives me watered down version, giving me some time to process and calm my anger before acting on it 🙂

In my first years, not only i use to go crazy mentally but physically also. at times did get physical as well.

Funny thing in Thailand, they know other person is lying but will pretend its acceptable as long as excuse is good enough.

Interesting!

This is how I already work with my partner. She acts as a buffer and together we not only get to to bottom of things, we also come up with a way to solve the issue, avoiding direct confrontations.

Edited by Bassosa

6 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

That’s a very high salary, especially for a Thai in Thailand. Does he work for a MNC? I can’t imagine a Thai corporation paying such salaries unless he is top management/director level.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

No, Thai company, but I think it might depend of business, size of company, and location.

I was also surprised at frist, but later realized that some Thais are very well paid.

• Like 1

Interesting!

This is how I already work with my partner. She acts as a buffer and together we not only get to to bottom of things, we also come up with a way to solve the issue, avoiding direct confrontations.

Yes for some the honeymoon does last forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 10/16/2019 at 8:21 PM, guzzi850m2 said:

Well the Thai doctors in my village are earning much more than that, looking at the cars they are driving and some of them owns 10+ houses.

Talking about hotel managers, not doctors. Of course doctors make 100-300,000 per month on up.

3 hours ago, Bassosa said:

we also come up with a way to solve the issue, avoiding direct confrontations.

Best way to do it here.

Many never learn this most valuable lesson

Act in Haste, Repent at Leisure

On 10/16/2019 at 2:10 PM, Dante99 said:

You want an experienced manager who will be given authority and have responsibility you will need to pay.  You want something less, probably much less like Sally's "generic overseer" you can certainly pay less but undoubtedly have bigger problems.

You say it is a hell of a salary for a Thai, first time you mentioned Thai.  What do you know about salaries to make such a comment?  There are a lot of Thais making 50-100 thousand per month.  Has to be since they are making payments on a lot of expensive homes and vehicles, 25-30,000 in fixed monthly payments plus some kids in private schools or university will quickly double that.

There are also many thai that nake between the 50k and 300k per month.

And the thai are in need for more.

Manager is depdnong on what he really is

40k and on performance bonus is a good start for Chaing Mai.

Beside the fact you are speaking about a new hotel. Then the more you can save the easier all will go. You also can kick in a year bonus to make sure the manger will perform.

I know two ladies that manage different hotels in Hua Hin.  Both are successful hotels, both have been in the same position for years, neither make more than 30k.  Both do stuff on the side involving property sales and rentals, both are a bit lazy, and neither are totally trustworthy. In both cases the land their hotels are on would be worth a lot more without their hotels on it.  The Chinese keep rolling in, that greases the wheels.  It has nothing to do with their dedication, hard work, or attention to detail, but they are consistent. The cheap Burmese labor is critical. 

I know two ladies that manage different hotels in Hua Hin.  Both are successful hotels, both have been in the same position for years, neither make more than 30k.  Both do stuff on the side involving property sales and rentals, both are a bit lazy, and neither are totally trustworthy. In both cases the land their hotels are on would be worth a lot more without their hotels on it.  The Chinese keep rolling in, that greases the wheels.  It has nothing to do with their dedication, hard work, or attention to detail, but they are consistent. The cheap Burmese labor is critical. 

Wonderful to know how much to pay lazy dishonest managers. Your kind of prople, eh?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I would believe depending on hotel and the owners maybe 25,000b a month. My wife is incharge of house keeping at a 126 room hotel here in CM she makes 14,000b a month they originally wanted to pay 10,000b a month but had no takers. She came in with 4 years experience running a couple of small hotel, a university degree, several other jobs as a teacher, sales, and logistics. The hotel she works in doesn't have much of a down season as they get a lot of government business and Thai tours during low season.

• Like 2

My friend has a small hotel in Phuket. He employs only Burmese staff now, to much bad experience with Thais.

On 10/18/2019 at 7:02 AM, rumak said:

you can't even get day labor for 500 baht a day  .   If anyone thinks 500 to 600 baht a day is going to attract an experienced and educated ,  not to mention honest and reliable manager for a business     good luck   NOTE:   i know the figure of 300 baht/day that many

posters think is what most thais will work for.   For that you might get someone who looks at their phone most of the time,  does as little as possible,  and leaves for another job or whatever as soon as they can.   Try going to Kamtieng mkt area for a day worker and offering them 300 baht for the day.   Be prepared to be laughed at

This is true. My wife told me that last week she went to the soi along Kamthieng market where all the laborers are, looking for 2 guys to clear one of her properties that is overgrown with jungle. She said that everyone who had some tools (trimmer, etc.) wanted 600+ (each) for the job, and guys with only a machete wanted 500 for 1/2 a day. Nobody was willing to work for less. Being as tight with money as she is, she wasn't prepared to pay 1200 for the job. She has yet to get the job done.

Edited by elektrified
  • Like 1