Non B Visa - Degree certificate name not include middle name

Hi all,

I have a degree but my certificate doesn't have my middle name on it and so doesn't match the name in my passport. I was in Thailand on a METV and was offered a teaching position. My recruitment agent has just told me that, in order for me to get a Non B Visa, I need to get verification of my degree and has no more advice for me.

The uni won't do that (i.e. confirm that I am the same person on my degree as on my passport.

Has anyone experienced this problem and found a solution please?

1 minute ago, blackcab said:

One solution would be to change your name in your home country to the same name but without your middle name and then get a new passport.

It's a solution if your home country will allow you to do that.

Thank you for this blackcab. I'm hoping to not have to change my name and go through the process of getting a new passport. But albeit, could be an option. Thank you.

Yes it's a massive headache in Thailand, I once had my bank try and refuse to do a transfer because the name in my passport has a middle name, but on my bank records there is no middle name, despite the fact that they obviously created my bank account from my passport! I wouldn't want to go through the hassle of changing my name to remove my middle name, then getting a new passport and having visas transferred over etc, that would be a massive pain in the balls.

Like yours, my university can only reprint my degree certificate, anything other than that such as transcripts or this verification nonsense they don't offer. I would explain the situation to the agent and if they refuse to budge, try another agency, surely one of them will have a bit of common sense? You might possibly be able to find a lawyer online who could verify that you are the rightful owner of your degree, but whether anyone in Thailand would accept such a letter is anyone's guess.

1 minute ago, SteveK said:

Yes it's a massive headache in Thailand, I once had my bank try and refuse to do a transfer because the name in my passport has a middle name, but on my bank records there is no middle name, despite the fact that they obviously created my bank account from my passport! I wouldn't want to go through the hassle of changing my name to remove my middle name, then getting a new passport and having visas transferred over etc, that would be a massive pain in the balls.

Like yours, my university can only reprint my degree certificate, anything other than that such as transcripts or this verification nonsense they don't offer. I would explain the situation to the agent and if they refuse to budge, try another agency, surely one of them will have a bit of common sense? You might possibly be able to find a lawyer online who could verify that you are the rightful owner of your degree, but whether anyone in Thailand would accept such a letter is anyone's guess.

Thanks SteveK. Yes, would be great to find someone who has had to go through this and found a solution. If I change the agent, I lose the job offer.

Just now, Bruno1982 said:

Thanks SteveK. Yes, would be great to find someone who has had to go through this and found a solution. If I change the agent, I lose the job offer.

Have you tried to explain that in the West middle names are used intermittently? Maybe a farang lawyer could offer some assistance, where are you based?

2 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Have you tried to explain that in the West middle names are used intermittently? Maybe a farang lawyer could offer some assistance, where are you based?

I don't think explaining helps and the agent doesn't seem to want to ask immigration, what I should do in this situation. I'm in Bangkok.

Both my parents had middle names, and my 2 brothers & 1 sister all have middle names but for some reason my parents didn't give me one. So every single document I've had my entire life show my first and last name only...and reading OP's story here I sure am glad I don't have a damn middle name that would complicate matters and cause me headaches like this.

Best of luck to you, I haven't any suggestion to offer other than trying to find an influential Thai who might be able to convince the authorities that middle names are not always used in western countries. 

15 minutes ago, Bruno1982 said:

I don't think explaining helps and the agent doesn't seem to want to ask immigration, what I should do in this situation. I'm in Bangkok.

The agent does not seem to understand the procedure. I also have my middle name on many cards, for example my social security.

This was never a problem when applying for my teacher's license or anything else regarding teaching.

It would be ridiculous and not easily possible to change your name in your passport that this gentleman is satisfied.

I had the same issue with the local Bangkok Bank when my middle name was made to my surname!

When I addressed the issue, the bank employee explained to me that there wouldn't be enough space to write down all names.

Then I made the suggestion to take the middle name out and replace it with my last name and it worked.

Common sense doesn't exist here. 

Perhaps that will do the trick for you as well. It's a problem that only occurs in Thailand, because Thais do not have a middle name.  

If you send me the agent's contact details, I could send him an e-mail with a copy of my teacher's license and the explanation.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SteveK said:

All the banks do not have enough space on their PC program to fill in a middle name and the employees just don't understand that our middle names are usually right next to the first name which makes them believe that it's our surname. 

It's always wise to let them know that beforehand. 

OP, there is another solution. If you contact your embassy and they confirm with a "true copy" with an embassy stamp that this is your degree, the agent should be satisfied.

I had to get my stuff authenticated that way for a Filipino university.  

Edited by Isaanbiker

Get Adobe Pro or Adobe Distiller, scan in the thing and add your Middle Name or Initial.  It is not your fault your university is being obtuse or making incorrect records or has no process for updating records for accuracy.  I would think a call or two or email to some officials at the University where you got your credentials from may help... or not.  Depends on the quality of the school