Account in Bangkok bank for a non-resident -- limited?

17 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Even their basic savings account can accept international transfers and be used with their phone app so that seems a bit odd.

but that is sadly true, many years ago i got my bkk bank acc and was NOT able to use all this stuff, only after i showed a workpermit a feq months later it was possible..

1 hour ago, William Osborne said:

Go to another branch as that is false info.... the only thing your limited to is online foreign transfer unless you have workpermit..

Yes, I believe internet banking was originally only available to locals but that went away with the last millennium! I am with BKB, internet, mobile banking, CCs, no real issues. 

Yeah go to another branch.  I am American, went on a visit this past Jun/Jul, came in visa exempt for just 2 weeks.  Per instructions from the Hua Hin immigration office I had the manager of the place I was staying at write a letter that I was renting the place for 2 weeks.  I then took this letter to immigration and they then provided me with a letter that I needed to take to Bangkok Bank.  Opened an account with no issues at all to include internet and mobile banking options.  Been transferring internationally since then from my US bank, again no issues at all.

10 Years ago I opened a personal account but was not allowed the internet banking. I then opened a joint account with my Thai wife with her name first in the title, to be able to use net banking. 

I transfer money to the joint acc from the UK and then onward to my personal acc and some for the wife's account.

Tried to change banks but too much hasle.

Bangkok Bank have split the country into zones, if, for instance, your bank is in Hua Hin you cannot renew your ATM card in Chiang Mia branch.

My acc is in Bangkok, they wouldn't renew my card in Hua Hin as it was a different zone. They were really helpful but couldn't do it.

Those restrictions are not universal, at any rate.

I just have the basic savings account with passbook from Bangkok Bank and I receive international wires and use internet banking and the ATM. I have no work permit - just a Thai Elite visa, which is the same as tourist visa for almost everything official. I needed a letter from immigration to verify my address.

If it's causing you hassle, I think most of the visa agents or farang-problem-fixer shops will help you out a smallish fee. That's true in Chiang Mai anyway. The most reputable one in Chiang Mai is called "Assist Thai Visa", in case you happen to be here.

13 hours ago, cocopops said:

If it's causing you hassle, I think most of the visa agents or farang-problem-fixer shops will help you out a smallish fee. That's true in Chiang Mai anyway. The most reputable one in Chiang Mai is called "Assist Thai Visa", in case you happen to be here.

do you mean - open a bank account in my name? In any bank?

17 hours ago, chilly07 said:

Not true-once you have an account you can go on line and set it all up. The only thing my branch was interested in was my pension going in every month.

That is not true...

I opened an account some months ago at Bangkok bank between Asok and Nana. No internet banking, no app. Only a bank book and debit card.  I went back to ask, but they said they give internet banking only with a 1 year visum. I did have a 1 year rental contract, but that was not enough.

Krungsri was more helpful...  Internet banking, app works fine, debit card. 

Why do so many people prefer Bangkok bank ?

On 10/15/2019 at 2:30 PM, kralledr said:

but that is sadly true, many years ago i got my bkk bank acc and was NOT able to use all this stuff, only after i showed a workpermit a feq months later it was possible..

Try to read the official requirements for opening a savings account at Bangkok Banks website, it's in english. There's no such thing as a limited account, and you don't even need a work permit. 

When you say non-resident hat actually do you mean?

If you mean not holding permanent resid3ency absolutely untrue,  most resident expats have bank accounts with online access etc.

If you mean not living here, as in on a tourist visa or visa exemption, no proof of residency etc then yes, many banks will have issues with that.

Re Embassy letter if you do ntot have other proof of residency like a tabian ban they may be asking for a residence certificate, some embassies will issue these and so will many Immigration Offices provided you are on a long stay visa and do 90 reporting there.

I have had a Bangkok Bank account for 25 years. It is easier to get a BBL account nowadays than at that time, which required a work permit. There are problems with a lack of knowledge at some branches and between bank personnel, especially these days due to the Anti-Money Laundering reporting requirements (AMLO). Because of the AMLO reporting requirements of the United States, my local BBL does not like U.S, citizens opening accounts (3 forms: AMLO, IRS etc), it is bad enough that other nationalities get reported to the U.S. AMLO (1 form). Please note that all Bangkok Bank Accounts with Branches in Bangkok are actually held at Head office on Silom Road, so Head Office would decide on whether to open your account if your local branch declines your application. (Probably the same for all local banks). If you are based in Bangkok and refused at the local branch, open an account via head office then you can use your local branch. I also have online banking via PC and Smart Phone.A BBL set up an immediate transfer to and deposit from my MayBankKimEng brokerage account operating in real time on the SET. They also set up an account with BBL London office so that my UK State Pension gets paid into it and immediately appears in my BBL local Bank Account. You only need to have a minimum 1 year permit to stay.

3 hours ago, Estrada said:

I have had a Bangkok Bank account for 25 years. It is easier to get a BBL account nowadays than at that time, which required a work permit. There are problems with a lack of knowledge at some branches and between bank personnel, especially these days due to the Anti-Money Laundering reporting requirements (AMLO). Because of the AMLO reporting requirements of the United States, my local BBL does not like U.S, citizens opening accounts (3 forms: AMLO, IRS etc), it is bad enough that other nationalities get reported to the U.S. AMLO (1 form). Please note that all Bangkok Bank Accounts with Branches in Bangkok are actually held at Head office on Silom Road, so Head Office would decide on whether to open your account if your local branch declines your application. (Probably the same for all local banks). If you are based in Bangkok and refused at the local branch, open an account via head office then you can use your local branch. I also have online banking via PC and Smart Phone.A BBL set up an immediate transfer to and deposit from my MayBankKimEng brokerage account operating in real time on the SET. They also set up an account with BBL London office so that my UK State Pension gets paid into it and immediately appears in my BBL local Bank Account. You only need to have a minimum 1 year permit to stay.

You don't need a 1 year permit to open an account. If you get a Certificate of Residence at your local immigration office, you can even open an account when having a 60 days tourist visa. Or, a reference from your embassy. Many people have condos in Thailand,but are not staying here long term. 

Archived