Jump to content
BANGKOK
shamimoto

Cat suffering - Request info

Recommended Posts

My GSD rescued a very young kitty about 2 yrs ago from a busy road, which I brought home. Vaccinated and neutered. It grew up without any issue until recently. It fell ill about 2 wks ago. Doctors at Kasetsart Animal Hospital diagnosed acute anemia and possible FIV. Blood transfusion done twice with medication. After a week blood result is OK now. But it has developed serious skin problem on its face, which is getting worse day by day. Can't find any info on web. Visits to Kasetsart and nearby clinic continues. Medication, including antibiotics, continues. Cleaning/scraping of damaged skin continues. Collar on almost 24 hours (except during feeding times). Please if some of the readers have encountered similar situation with cat's facial skin please share your experience and, if possible, medication details. My pet's condition is very painful to look at.

S__5333090.jpg

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can not say for sure,because I´ve never had a skin problem on a cat. We have a pomerain dog, though, thta have been having serious skin problem. Nobody knew what to do, whereever we went. My wife got an idea to clean it every second day with the thai classic Asepso soap (the green one).

It made wonders with the small and fragile dog, and it all went away as well as hair starting to grow again in the same areas. 🙂 

You could always try. We still use that soap instead of dog shampoo everytime we clean the dog and it has never come back.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You will want to thank me for telling you this. Just buy acupuncture needles online and you google acupuncture points on animals, you will find all the info you need.

It is simple and it works. The cat doesn't feel the needle at all so not to worry.

It's great fun to discover you could perform like a doctor.

How long it takes? About one treatment every other day for a week.

Your cat also need omega 3 fish oil, just cut the capsule and put the oil on the foods. One capsule a day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Matzzon said:

I can not say for sure,because I´ve never had a skin problem on a cat. We have a pomerain dog, though, thta have been having serious skin problem. Nobody knew what to do, whereever we went. My wife got an idea to clean it every second day with the thai classic Asepso soap (the green one).

It made wonders with the small and fragile dog, and it all went away as well as hair starting to grow again in the same areas. 🙂 

You could always try. We still use that soap instead of dog shampoo everytime we clean the dog and it has never come back.

Many thanks Matzzon. Using Asepso soap is a good idea, which I tried on one of my GSD. It was not so effective and the vet prescribed some antibiotic with medicated shampoo together with change of diet (veg diet - hahahaha). My dog's condition is better now. However, cleaning a cat with soap could be different story. First, the cat is very weak and fragile. Due to sickness, it has also become very aggressive. The vet has given some kind of ear drops today. I'll keep an eye on my cat to see improvement or otherwise. He's still scheduled to see Kasetsart vet in a few days.

 

In any case, I thank you for paying attention to my pet's suffering and suggesting something positive (which worked on your pet dog).

 

Kind regards,

Sham

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, shamimoto said:

Many thanks Matzzon. Using Asepso soap is a good idea, which I tried on one of my GSD. It was not so effective and the vet prescribed some antibiotic with medicated shampoo together with change of diet (veg diet - hahahaha). My dog's condition is better now. However, cleaning a cat with soap could be different story. First, the cat is very weak and fragile. Due to sickness, it has also become very aggressive. The vet has given some kind of ear drops today. I'll keep an eye on my cat to see improvement or otherwise. He's still scheduled to see Kasetsart vet in a few days.

 

In any case, I thank you for paying attention to my pet's suffering and suggesting something positive (which worked on your pet dog).

 

Kind regards,

Sham

No problem, I understand that it can be different. I also understand that you are a very loving person that takes care of your animals. I sincerely hope that you can save the little one and make it get better and happy again. 🙂 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ylmiri said:

You will want to thank me for telling you this. Just buy acupuncture needles online and you google acupuncture points on animals, you will find all the info you need.

It is simple and it works. The cat doesn't feel the needle at all so not to worry.

It's great fun to discover you could perform like a doctor.

How long it takes? About one treatment every other day for a week.

Your cat also need omega 3 fish oil, just cut the capsule and put the oil on the foods. One capsule a day.

Thank you ylmiri. I'll definitely google acupuncture but I think I won't have the heart to push a needle in any part of an animal (I tried only once injecting ivermectin under the skin of my GSD and remained worried for days for fear of if something that could have gone wrong - chicken heart, eh! hahahaha). I'll come back again to tell you if acupuncture procedure could be practiced by myself, a quack :-).

 

Your idea of giving a capsule of fish oil to my cat is a good one. I'll definitely add one to its diet on a daily basis. Thank you khrab.

 

Kind regards,

Sham 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, shamimoto said:

acute anemia and possible FIV.

There is a test for anemia and another for FIV. If the vet is saying “possible” it sounds like they do not know what they are doing, either it is or it is not, as proven by test.

Biggest problem is finding a vet who knows his stuff. Kasetsart is better than most, but the skill of vets is highly variable.

I found this place to be quite good, providing you get the owner or his wife. https://www.vet4hospital.com/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

There is a test for anemia and another for FIV. If the vet is saying “possible” it sounds like they do not know what they are doing, either it is or it is not, as proven by test.

Biggest problem is finding a vet who knows his stuff. Kasetsart is better than most, but the skill of vets is highly variable.

I found this place to be quite good, providing you get the owner or his wife. https://www.vet4hospital.com/

Totally agree with you DaRoadrunner 🙂. Vets were different at every appointment at Kaset and every time the vet made a new remark/comment about cat's condition such as anemia, FIV, leukemia, bitten by centipede etc etc. I still doubt if any of them diagnosed correctly.

 

My pet also stayed at Vet4 for 5 days. Tell you what, it cost me an arm and a leg. Their initial quotation (to entice the customer) had no match with their actual bill. But I'm glad that the cat survived due to their 24 hrs care.

 

My post was due to my worry that I couldn't find any info on web on such condition, where a cat gets its face fur with skin falling leaving unsightly underlying bare flesh. Anyhow, I think antibiotic is now showing some positive sign and my baby appears to be recovering, albeit slowly as in the picture, taken a few mins ago.

 

Thank you for taking notice of my appeal and making good suggestion khrab.

S__5357580.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jack Mountain said:

GSD?

Hi Jack Mountain.

 

Yes, I walk my love of life 2 German Shepherds (GSD) very early morning (4.30 a.m.) on a daily basis, one of them is keen lover of cats. About 2 yrs ago Charlie saw the very young kitty on a 3-lane road, pulled me there grabbed the kitty under its strong jaws and brought it back on footpath. For a moment, I thought it killed the kitty hahahaha. The kitty, now Tiger, was only a few days old and must have wandered away from its mom. I adopted it. Later on I became aware whereabouts of its mom and siblings who live 20-25m away from the main road.

 

I take extreme pride for being a member of my GSD family 😄.

 

Kind regards

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The vet has a topical antiseptic you can apply to the sore skin. If it is viral, then antibiotics will not work. Correct diagnosis is needed.... lots o luck finding a Thai vet who knows what they are doing! Kasetsart is full of students, you have to get someone who is qualified (they do have them, as teachers also work in the hospital, but with doctors the world over, only a few are hot at what they do).

 

What are the symptoms?... runny nose, discharge, fever, runny eyes etc. A good doctor will narrow it down by rule-out and symptoms and then order tests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

The vet has a topical antiseptic you can apply to the sore skin. If it is viral, then antibiotics will not work. Correct diagnosis is needed.... lots o luck finding a Thai vet who knows what they are doing! Kasetsart is full of students, you have to get someone who is qualified (they do have them, as teachers also work in the hospital, but with doctors the world over, only a few are hot at what they do).

 

What are the symptoms?... runny nose, discharge, fever, runny eyes etc. A good doctor will narrow it down by rule-out and symptoms and then order tests.

Thank you again DaRoadrunner 🙂. Vets at ground floor in Kasetsart are all the same aka run of the mill. Experienced, teachers and specialists work on upper floors. GF newbie recommends consultation with upper level vets when they can't handle a case, however not before wasting time and money by first guesstimating patients conditions and prescribing ineffective drugs. 

 

I'm happy to report that my cat is showing positive signs of healing. Oral medications, prescribed ointment and wiping the damaged skin with antibiotic solution are helping.

 

No visible symptom that I can describe other than it is wearing the neck cone almost 24 hours and therefore irritated. I'm hoping to see it recover sometimes next week when he'll be allowed to walk outside 🙂.

 

Thank you again Khun DaRoadrunner.

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my experience of years of having cats here, the only two hospitals worth using were Kasetsart (providing you avoid the students and ask to see an Ajarn (teacher) ).... and Vet 4 https://www.vet4hospital.com/ providing you get the owner or his wife.

 

Others were worse than useless, the worst being Chula Vet hospital. Thonglor hospital was also useless and expensive. Ignorance and malpractice are common.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

In my experience of years of having cats here, the only two hospitals worth using were Kasetsart (providing you avoid the students and ask to see an Ajarn (teacher) ).... and Vet 4 https://www.vet4hospital.com/ providing you get the owner or his wife.

 

Others were worse than useless, the worst being Chula Vet hospital. Thonglor hospital was also useless and expensive. Ignorance and malpractice are common.

Actually, I found a senior vet at Vet4 working there on a part-time basis is actually an employee of Kasetsart 🙂. Vet4 vet used an antibiotic on my cat, which Kasetsart vets said is the most expensive one (Baht 2,440) and not available at Kaset. Nevertheless, my cat is getting better day by day and I'm hoping to see him run around the house sometimes next week 👏.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am very interested to hear about this hospital, was not aware of it before.

Can anyone give name of specific doctors there who they are impressed with? I'm always eager to learn of good vets.

Meanwhile happy to hear OP's little angel is improving.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...