What would you do with this episode

Liverpudlian

I posted my disgruntled whoes on living with the Thai inlaws a short while ago but its getting to a silent boiling point and i really do need to gripe on here the folks in this house dont give a hoot about allowing my 2 1/2 year old daughter watching the most idiotic soaps on TV wich is nothing but female against female unfaithful boy friends etc etc with graphic shots of guys slapping women around with hench body gaurds totting fire arms and pistol whipping, i kid you not i have no response when i request that this is NOT ON for such a small child to see all this .... do i pack my bags ?? as i no longer have any say at all on her upbringing they simply think i am nuts.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Liverpudlian said:

Theres no way i can take on an entire familly on in there own home and no way would i be able to move out and take her with me ... they have the power over me as i am n alien.

Do you support them? Why are you even living in THEIR home?

In my opinion a child of that age will have no knowledge whats happening they are just moving pictures, if she is actually paying any attention at all to it. 

Most adults cant fathom most of it out as its pure nonsense poorly made.

2 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

In my opinion a child of that age will have no knowledge whats happening they are just moving pictures, if she is actually paying any attention at all to it. 

This kid at "that age" understands english from me and thai from them.... no joke she is as bright as a silver dollar, are you a dad ??

You could start with explaining to your girlfriend, what you want and that you move out if they do not take you seriously.

In that case she might choose her family over you, but that if not now, that will come at a later stage in life anyway.

If you support her and your daughter, then she at least would need to think before giving you a stupid answer.

You other choice is to live like a mouse and be ignored as a father. Life is hard, nobody told you its gonna be easy. It´s your choice.

19 hours ago, Liverpudlian said:

This kid at "that age" understands english from me and thai from them.... no joke she is as bright as a silver dollar, are you a dad ??

I have a 3yr and 5yr old and they pay no attention whatsoever to TV soaps, stick a cartoon on and they are rivetted. That's my experience.

1 minute ago, Liverpudlian said:

I'm a dad, I didn't have children till I could independently support them, they have both grown into fine adults.

8 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I normally agree with you, but in this case I can´t. His daughter is at an age when they snap up all they can, and its also the time when the thing they learn, see and hear stays as they have easy to remember. It´s absolutely not advisable t let that small girl sit in front of those series.

However, my little problem is why the father just tell them its not good. Why does he not take care of his daughter and let her mother and grandparents look at their favorite series?

Even if you got on well with the in-laws, other than short periods of time due to other circumstances, living "in" the same house isn't a long-term scenario.  Exacerbated by you being a farang, not married, and I'm just guessing but imagine it's the talk of the town (village).

Your primary goal ought to be finding your own place to live.  This is just going to wear you down and cause more problems along the way. 

I say that not from a judgemental POV.  When we first moved to Thailand (already married) we did it for a number of years, but we had our own house, parents lived in seperate buildings on the property.  Lovely people, no significant problems, no expectations but still....... it came time to move on with our own lives.

In the meantime, tread lightly but also take more of an active role.  Log off TVF then pick up your daughter and go for a walk 'round the house, garden, go sit on the patio and play with her, etc.  Make that a normal routine instead of letting them control things so much.

1 minute ago, Matzzon said:

I normally agree with you, but in this case I can´t. His daughter is at an age when they snap up all they can, and its also the time when the thing they learn, see and hear stays as they have easy to remember. It´s absolutely not advisable t let that small girl sit in front of those series.

However, my little problem is why the father just tell them its not good. Why does he not take care of his daughter and let her mother and grandparents look at their favorite series?

Cheers for that but even her mom doesnt see my worries on this dilema or was i protected from this tv <deleted> by my folks late 50s /60s ??

1 minute ago, Liverpudlian said:

Cheers for that but even her mom doesnt see my worries on this dilema or was i protected from this tv <deleted> by my folks late 50s /60s ??

Doesn´t matter. You are her father and can do something else with her during that time. I am pretty sure your grandparents and your girlfriend do many things with her during the days. Beeing a parent cuts both ways.

6 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Even if you got on well with the in-laws, other than short periods of time due to other circumstances, living "in" the same house isn't a long-term scenario.  Exacerbated by you being a farang, not married, and I'm just guessing but imagine it's the talk of the town (village).

Your primary goal ought to be finding your own place to live.  This is just going to wear you down and cause more problems along the way. 

I say that not from a judgemental POV.  When we first moved to Thailand (already married) we did it for a number of years, but we had our own house, parents lived in seperate buildings on the property.  Lovely people, no significant problems, no expectations but still....... it came time to move on with our own lives.

In the meantime, tread lightly but also take more of an active role.  Log off TVF then pick up your daughter and go for a walk 'round the house, garden, go sit on the patio and play with her, etc.  Make that a normal routine instead of letting them control things so much.

Words of widom here and yes i try to take her out alone in her fave buggy and we stop to pick up flowers and all thay dads love to do in peace and quiet of the lanes around the rice fields wich actualy takes this mob side ways and confused.

4 minutes ago, Matzzon said:
4 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Give her a tablet and show her how to use youtube, she won't need nor want the tv ever again.

Doesn´t matter. You are her father and can do something else with her during that time. I am pretty sure your grandparents and your girlfriend do many things with her during the days. Beeing a parent cuts both ways.

Bingo !! why didnt i think of that .

20 minutes ago, Liverpudlian said:

Theres no way i can take on an entire familly on in there own home and no way would i be able to move out and take her with me ... they have the power over me as i am n alien.

Agree, not appropriate at all for kids. 

Move.

32 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I am 62 and still have no idea what's going on,

I also don't understand these Thai soaps. All I know is that they all have the Aloof Good Looking Guy, the regular guy who is his friend, The comic guy, at least one ladyboy who can also be the "comic guy" and a midget . Sorry I meant to say vertically challenged person.  Ohh <deleted>!! I forgot, and a lot of eye candy Tragically scrambling  about.

I like the eye candy, also I like soft boiled eggs and Feta Cheese. unfortunately I cant find feta cheese in Thailand

25 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Yes quite agree with you CharlieH.

Even when the child grow up she would be exposed to all these rubbish whether you like it or not.

If you have the time you could teach the child good english and explain to her the social problems in Thailand, the male ego etc.,  That would help a lot in her character molding. Wouldn't it?

But then she may have conflicts when she talks to her mother as a teenager because you showing her the mistakes in her Thai society. Her mummy may say to her, "don't listen to your father he is an idiot"

Archived