BANGKOK
snoop1130

THAI needs to modify its rehabilitation plan to survive: Sumet

6 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

It's even worse than just the price.

My wife last night booked a ticket back to Thailand from the US to visit for the New Year.

Even though our local airport is served by United, a Star Alliance partner, TG won't even quote it.

Now with United, half the flight is on other alliance partners, notably none of it being on TG!

I have the same issues with United not able to connect with Thai when I try to buy a ticket. Instead of TG to HK and then United to EWR, I need to fly ANA to Narita and then United to EWR. But if I tried to book with miles, I will see the TG flight option. I think it has something to do with TG and Thailand not in compliance with US FAA regs. Partly why TG cannot fly to the US at the moment.

But in any case TG is hopeless at this point. They are behind in so many areas and the competition is relentless.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, tso310 said:

As I put in another thread, 40% less aircraft than Singapore and 40% more staff. Think of the number of staff freebies tickets that are on the money earning flights to Europe.

What are those numbers, and what is your source?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PatOngo said:

How can an airline within a country of 68 million get to such a state? Meanwhile, not too far away in a country of 26 million: The Qantas Group has achieved an Underlying Profit Before Tax of $1.30 billion and a Statutory Profit Before tax of $1.27 billion for the Financial Year 2019.

And Singapore, with a population of just 5.6 million, made over $1.06 million profit with growth from all regions to which they fly.

• Like 1

A few years ago they had a president running Thai who actually cut the debt but they fired him for some trumped up charge and it has been down hill every sense

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, munchlet said:

Name me a state airline that makes money? 

Singapore Airlines 

• Like 1

With a Debt -v- equity ratio like that and ROI not that great, I would be turning the lights off and closing the doors.

(We did it to the Australian automotive industry)

A respected Japanese mentor I had at Denso, said.

No business with no profit, is better than a business with no profit...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PatOngo said:

How can an airline within a country of 68 million get to such a state? Meanwhile, not too far away in a country of 26 million: The Qantas Group has achieved an Underlying Profit Before Tax of $1.30 billion and a Statutory Profit Before tax of $1.27 billion for the Financial Year 2019.

Perhaps too much Southeast Asian and Middle East competition concentrated in a small area? Especially Air Asia, Malaysian, Singapore Air, Cathay Pacific, EVA; then further afield there's Qatar, Emirates, Etihad and some newer mainland Chinese ones such as China Eastern. Australia is far removed from these locations geographically, but, yes--Qantas also has significant competition going in and out of Australia.

14 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Well, they can't save more on the food, as it cant get cheaper than it is. I suggest they give up as sell the damn company to someone ready to take some responsibility.

Sell it to Air Asia.  Tony Fernandes will turn it around.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thai Airways (THAI) needs to modify its rehabilitation plan if it is to survive in the face of tight competition, especially since it still has a total debt of over Bt2.45 billion and losses of more than Bt20 billion, despite being able to reduce its debts by Bt48 billion over the past five years.

If it weren't for government financial help as a private company it would have gone under years ago.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tso310 said:

As I put in another thread, 40% less aircraft than Singapore and 40% more staff. Think of the number of staff freebies tickets that are on the money earning flights to Europe.

Not only the staff, their partners fly cheap as well.

19 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

How much fuel could they save if they simply stopped all the flight attendants from sneaking back imported luxury goods hidden within their clothing and bags?  :cheesy:

Hey come on now, don't ruin my source of taxfree cigarettes.

The word of the day is "Competition."  
I used to fly Thai ... then tried Air Asia.  100% of my flights with them have cost less and left on time. Not a single delay or cancellation.  
Pretty simple to solve that riddle.