U.S. long term visa

Hello, My Thai wife, Legally married has a ten year visa which means i believe she can only stay in the U.S for 6 months at a time. What time of visa is required for her to stay long term and is it possible to covert her tourist vist to a long term visa and what is required. Thanks all for your help

She can apply for permanent residence status.  That is, to immigrate to the US. 

You can petition for her while in Thailand, or you both can fly to the US and after she is admitted as a visitor - apply for adjustment of status (same idea just waiting in the US vice Thailand).

2 hours ago, Blue bruce said:

What time of visa is required for her to stay long term and is it possible to covert her tourist vist to a long term visa

What do you mean "Long term"  10 months instead of 6 months. or do you mean reside there permanently.

As suggested a "Green Card" (permanent resident) is the best way but, if she leaves the USA for longer than six months, she would lose the Green Card , so you cant be getting Green cards every time you want to go there for longer than 6 months.

If you go there for about five years she can convert a Green card to Citizenship and then she can go in and out of the US at will and for as long as she likes. (which is what I did for my wife) .

I am not sure if going there on a tourist visa and then converting it to a permanent residency is a good idea. IMO it will look like you are trying to circumvent the normal process and they might frown   up on it.

If staying in the US as a resident, Applying in Thailand for it is IMO the best way forward. 

If you just want to stay a bit longer:

From USCIS: If you want to extend your stay in the United States, you must file a request with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on the Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status before your authorized stay expires. .... We recommend that you apply to extend your stay at least 45 days before your authorized stay expires.

Archived