New passport and extension of stay

Apologies if this has been addressed before. 

I have retirement extension of stay and multiple re-entry permit until 4th May 2020 issued at Chaeng Watthana immigration Bangkok. My passport is now full and I'm in London. I have just applied for a replacement UK passport and will receive it in the next few days. 

I will return to Bangkok next month. I know that I need to show both old and new passports on arrival and will go to immigration at CW within 24hrs to file TM30 and get the extension of stay and re-entry permits transferred. 

Can anyone advise a concise list of required documents and procedures for transfer of extension of stay and re-entry permit to new passport please? (I own my condo and know how to do TM30 myself). 

Thanks in advance. 

You will need a notarized letter from your embassy certifying that your new passport is for the same person as the old one. If you don't get this in London then you may need to visit the embassy in Thailand to get one. Had you renewed in Thailand it likely would have come with the new passport.

I went through this recently and decided it was cheaper to let my retirement visa lapse and start over instead of traveling to Bangkok, paying the exorbitant fees to the embassy to write and notarize the letter, pay for the reentry permit, etc.

They did tell me that if I had the letter it would be free.

1 hour ago, gargamon said:

You will need a notarized letter from your embassy certifying that your new passport is for the same person as the old one. If you don't get this in London then you may need to visit the embassy in Thailand to get one. Had you renewed in Thailand it likely would have come with the new passport.

I went through this recently and decided it was cheaper to let my retirement visa lapse and start over instead of traveling to Bangkok, paying the exorbitant fees to the embassy to write and notarize the letter, pay for the reentry permit, etc.

They did tell me that if I had the letter it would be free.

Excellent advice. Underline the "letter". At CW they need letter from embassy as correctly pointed out. Depending on how much travel outside of los you intend to do before May you could leave it until then however it is recommended to attend imm and transfer.

Edited by DrJack54

Thanks for the advice above. I was not aware of the visa transfer letter from embassy requirement. They say that the give a blank proforma for completion. I assume then that it must be notorised? 

What else will I need to show at CW immigration? 

25 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

I assume then that it must be notorised? 

Not needed.

25 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

This form completed. Transfer Stamps To A New Passport

Copies of both passports photo pages. Copies of these in the old visa, entry stamp form it, most recent entry stamp, re-entry permit if valid. Some offices may want a copy of every page in the old passport that has a visa, or stamp for Thailand on it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Thanks for the advice above. I was not aware of the visa transfer letter from embassy requirement. They say that the give a blank proforma for completion. I assume then that it must be notorised? 

Just to add to good advice given above..... I have applied for new pp but that was inside los. Au embassy. The letter provided does not simply witness your signature. It asks Thai imm to transfer your stamp, for example reentry permit. I may be wrong but that's my understanding.

Point I make is that is fully understood by embassies in Thailand. Your obtaining new pp in your own country. Think might need to explain exactly what Thai imm require. Hopefully someone will be along that has done same. Ubon will know. I'm just pumping so you get correct advice.

12 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Ubonjoe, thanks for the info. I've got a multiple reentry permit. Will they transfer that too? 

Yes they will if they issued the re-entry permit. If not you will have to use your old passport to show it until you get a new one.

If issued by either airport in Bangkok they will transfer it for you when leaving the country or if you go to their offices at the airports.

On 10/17/2019 at 3:31 AM, ubonjoe said:

Yes they will if they issued the re-entry permit. If not you will have to use your old passport to show it until you get a new one.

If issued by either airport in Bangkok they will transfer it for you when leaving the country or if you go to their offices at the airports.

Ubonjoe, 

Thanks. That will save me time. I got the multi reentry issued at bkk so will allow extra time and get it copied there when next leaving (a lot easier than queuing for hours at CW).