Promoting market competition, reducing monopoly only way to close income gap, study shows

webfact

6 hours ago, webfact said:

500 persons accounted for 30 per cent of total profits in the Thai business sector

And these 500 Hi-Sos aren't going to let the Government change a thing.  The above figures are the tip of the iceberg from published company papers; I'll bet there's billions that go undeclared

The problem has to be solved from the bottom up because it is not in the interest of the elite to solve it.

It begins with education. In Thailand "It is the education system, stupid!" Start teaching real world subjects like world history (Not just Thai history), mathematics including algebra, world geography (Most Thais can't even locate their own changwat on a map). Perhaps more importantly, make school free through to and including high school and make it mandatory and parental responsibility for anyone under 18 to attend. I see too many youngsters not bothering to attend. Fine the parents and that will change quickly.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

A recent study showed that most businesses in Thailand are in the hands of a few companies, which is causing a huge inequality of income and wealth, and the only way out is to promote market competition and reduce monopoly. 

Something we've all known about for years, that's how the rich stay rich & the poor never get a chance.

Cal it monopoly or corruption it amounts to the same thing... look at the big families who get what they want and keep competition out.

The likes of King Power, CP, the brewing families all multi billionaires who keep it in the family.

This will never change.

I am willing to guess that just about every person who will comment on this comes from a country with similar .... or far worse income / wealth / inequality.  So, "physician, heal they-self."

With Thailand having one of the highest, if not the highest, inequality in terms of its wealth spread then I cannot see this ever changing. This is definitely a country (like many others I will add) where the rich stay rich and the rest don't matter one iota. 

1 hour ago, bangkokequity said:

I am willing to guess that just about every person who will comment on this comes from a country with similar .... or far worse income / wealth / inequality.  So, "physician, heal they-self."

As the Credit Suisse investigation concluded that Thailand was Number 1. (the worst) in the distribution of wealth league, how is it possible for you to be correct? Oh! I see. Only a guess. 

33 minutes ago, Lemonltr said:

As the Credit Suisse investigation concluded that Thailand was Number 1. (the worst) in the distribution of wealth league, how is it possible for you to be correct? Oh! I see. Only a guess. 

FORBES: RE- USA: --- the country’s three richest individuals—Bill Gates, Warren Buffett and Jeff Bezos—collectively hold more wealth than the bottom 50% of the domestic population, “a total of 160 million people or 63 million American households.” Roughly a fifth of Americans “have zero or negative net worth,”

That is THREE people ... not 500+.

4 hours ago, mickey rat said:

But didn't he leave in order to escape jail time for running over a cop and dragging him under his ferrari back to his home while drunk one night?????

That is the knucklehead son.  Dad struck it rich when teaming up with an Austrian entrepreneur who took the brand global.  The son is a waste of skin.

1 hour ago, BobbyL said:

With Thailand having one of the highest, if not the highest, inequality in terms of its wealth spread then I cannot see this ever changing. This is definitely a country (like many others I will add) where the rich stay rich and the rest don't matter one iota. 

FORBES: RE- USA: --- the country’s three richest individuals—Bill Gates, Warren Buffett and Jeff Bezos—collectively hold more wealth than the bottom 50% of the domestic population, “a total of 160 million people or 63 million American households.” Roughly a fifth of Americans “have zero or negative net worth,”

4 hours ago, bangkokequity said:

That is THREE people ... not 500+.

thats individual wealth not companies, this is about the ones that own all the companies in Thailand so there is no competition, they control who can sell what which controls who makes all the money

8 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Only if Europe do the same to Thai imports... price them out with special taxes.

Europe will soon stop importing any produce which is bad for the global environment....so they better not even start doing business with the thai since they don't care about the environment at all.

This current administration was installed to protect the elite, those in power, the police franchisees, and the super wealthy. There is zero concern for the poor or the common Thai. Nothing is being done to improve their lot in life. An argument can be made that the current policies are lowering their quality of life. 46% stated in a recent survey that their lives are worse off now, than five years ago. Anyone associated with tourism is especially vulnerable, as the TAT and Prayuth policies have led to a near collapse of the industry. The numbers may be up, but the quality of tourists is way, way down. That is all that counts. Income is down within the industry. All the numbers do is create congestion and lower the quality of life for everyone. 

I was recently at Swampy for an international flight. Took 50 minutes to check in. And another 45 minutes at immigration. They can do better than that. And the massive volume directly contributes to that degraded experience. Does anyone in the TAT understand that? Do they care?

The Thai Army is the worse thing to ever happen to the Thai nation. They are a giant vacuum, and give nothing back. 

17 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The Thai Army is the worse thing to ever happen to the Thai nation. They are a giant vacuum, and give nothing back. 

Without the army it would have been civil war all over thailand....and you would have left already.

3 hours ago, fruitman said:

Without the army it would have been civil war all over thailand....and you would have left already.

Or a real election, with an actual democracy, instead of a few dozen dictatorial billionaire generals, with no skills or vision. 

On 10/16/2019 at 6:32 AM, fruitman said:

So after the new trade agreement with Europe the Thai won't protect their own beercompany families?

If so they'll get a very hard time because European beer is much better and if that's cheaper than Thai beer they'll all start drinking it.

The authorities would never allow foreign beer to be cheaper than Chang!

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Or a real election, with an actual democracy, instead of a few dozen dictatorial billionaire generals, with no skills or vision. 

Without the army it will be a civil war....just like it was before the army took control.....

We had groups of terrorists (sorry i don't have other words for them) willing to burn BKK down, and they even did it!! 

Thailand is just not ready for democracy, they call it democrazy and that's really what they think of it. If you have a discussion with a Thai they even get agressive when you don't agree with them....

That's why i'll always have a house ready to escape to in Europe....i will never give that up because Thailand is just far to unstable...So yes, i'm happy with the army because it's the best solution to keep the country peacefull....

On 10/16/2019 at 7:34 AM, 30la said:

Bravo, you recognized it, but what changes? Look at the next step of the CP ...

It won't change until there is strong biting legislation (law) disallowing large companies from buying up the competition. And part of the legislation prohibiting large companies from many forms of expansion to get closer to being monopolies. And legislation prohibiting restraint of trade.

All of the above is well embedded in law in many countries.

The ultimate point here in LOS is of course that 99% of the local political parties will never introduce or support such legislation.

The only party which would support it, and they did earlier mention it is FF.  Another reason why the PMs mob and many of the smaller coalition parties will do whatever is needed to keep FF imobile. 

4 hours ago, fruitman said:

That's a shame, because civil war is the one possible way to solve the problem. Only when the super-rich are faced with an existential threat will they even consider changing the system. Until then, game over.

Check the GINI index. Unless you are US citizen, you‘re wrong on that.

https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/indicators/SI.POV.GINI/rankings

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 10/16/2019 at 3:23 AM, webfact said:

Thailand has the greatest inequality in wealth in the world. 

Why are we the "Land of Smiles" when we continue to get awarded with being the worst country? LOL 

So far... 

Thailand is...

• #1 most dangerous country to drive a car in ASEAN, #2 in the world 
  • #1 polluter of plastics in the ocean (per coastal population) worldwide and #6 as a country. 

And now we learn that we have the greatest inequality of wealth?? 

Does anyone know of any positive statistics about Thailand? 

Archived