House committee to invite General Apirat for chat over his controversial speech

webfact

Apirat-Komgsompong.jpg

The House Committee for Security Affairs, National Borders, Strategy and Reform has agreed to invite Army Commander-in-Chief General Apirat Kongsompong to an “exchange of views” on October 21st over the controversial speech he gave at the Army headquarters last week.

The committee spokesman, Mr Phiradet Kamsamut of the Future Forward party, said Tuesday that the committee felt that General Apirat’s lecture had attracted a lot of mixed opinions on social media and expects that he will accept the invitation.

In his lecture, entitled “Our land from security perspective” before an invited audience, General Apirat alleged that a number of ill-intentioned politicians and hard-core communist remnants were waging “hybrid warfare” to destroy the country.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/house-committee-to-invite-general-apirat-for-chat-over-his-controversial-speech/

thaipbs.jpg

As good as it is to see that Future Forward and others are trying to rein in certain persons, they must realise by now that Thailand is not a democracy (but a militocracy backed by certain forces)  and that all the power is invested in those very persons and types whose ideas they oppose.

Most of us have long understood that the regime is one which is deaf to rational argument - and most of all to the entire concepts of justice, equity, democracy and civil liberty.

Thailand is not out of the woods yet - and will not be, so far as I can see, for many dark years to come ...

This so called "general" and I use that word loosely because that's basically what he is a loose canon. He should be told by the Government to stay in his barracks and keep his big mouth shut, otherwise this country will never regain total democracy

2 hours ago, webfact said:

General Apirat alleged that a number of ill-intentioned politicians and hard-core communist remnants were waging “hybrid warfare” to destroy the country.

once again, on display for all to see, thai leadership lacking intelligence

3 hours ago, webfact said:

“exchange of views”

Sounds far too tame for a government that is for and by the people.  The man deserves a Dean Martin roast at the very least.  Get the feeling he will just run amuck again and again.  Given how delusional he is, he will either cause great change one way or another.   

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The committee spokesman, Mr Phiradet Kamsamut of the Future Forward party, said Tuesday that the committee felt that General Apirat’s lecture had attracted a lot of mixed opinions on social media and expects that he will accept the invitation.

I come, but when I say it and not when you invite me little civilians ...

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Now Khun Apirat you must be a good chap, calm yourself down.

Please wait a while, your turn at the trough will come, at the moment it is our turn.:cheesy::cheesy:

As the saying goes 'delusions of grandeur'!! But they are too thick to understand it!! 555????????

5 hours ago, webfact said:

He will probably arrive in a tank accompanied by a convoy of Stryker troop carriers full of armed soldiers and ask the question.

......."now, what was it you wanted to talk to me about?"

S__14155862.jpg

5 hours ago, webfact said:

In his lecture, entitled “Our land from security perspective” before an invited audience, General Apirat alleged that a number of ill-intentioned politicians and hard-core communist remnants were waging “hybrid warfare” to destroy the country.

In all honesty, the titles ok, but it goes down into paranoia pretty quickly

"invite General Apirat for chat over his controversial speech" - says it all. 

This general, as all his predecessors, did not understand the purpose of the army as well as his particular job posting. The army in general and the general in particular is there to serve and execute the government's instructions. The government has only one purpose which is to serve and execute the will of the majority of the people while protecting the minorities of eventual steamrollering by the majority. 

In short, he seemed to have explicitly overstepped his authority by far when doing such little stage shows without an explicit government order - I have no knowledge of neither order nor the gentleman's speech. 

Governments are voted into office by the people, the government then has "assisting" tools to execute the will of the people.

The police is responsible for internal affairs, the army (and its staggering number of 1'700 generals serving Thailand) cares about external affairs and security against foreign attacks. In case of extreme natural disasters like floods, avalanches etc. the government may instruct the army to assist the police in the latter's endeavours. 

In any other country this general would not be "invited for a chat" but demoted if not booted out of office. His (to me unknown) rhetorics were apparently not quite in line with the government's doctrine of serving the people's will .......... 

This is, of course, only if all that hickhack in the media following the general's appearance carries any truth and weight. 

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

In all honesty, the titles ok, but it goes down into paranoia pretty quickly

paranoia yes,  and dishonesty and division

So they have invited him to discuss his speech with a committee.

Bottom line, I wonder about the representation in that committee but even more serious I wonder who on the committee will be game enough to ask any hard hitting questions?

Examples:

- Ask him to explain what people he's now accusing of being old style communists and why?

- Ask him to explain if students who study abroad should be banned from involvement in politics etc?   And more...

Will the media be allowed to attend and report?

How many military 'shadows' will attend?

Further, will selected questioners be subjected to further 'action' / be charged with some silly crimes?

I hope I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

paranoia yes,  and dishonesty and division

So they have invited him to discuss his speech with a committee.

Bottom line, I wonder about the representation in that committee but even more serious I wonder who on the committee will be game enough to ask any hard hitting questions?

Examples:

- Ask him to explain what people he's now accusing of being old style communists and why?

- Ask him to explain if students who study abroad should be banned from involvement in politics etc?   And more...

Will the media be allowed to attend and report?

How many military 'shadows' will attend?

Further, will selected questioners be subjected to further 'action' / be charged with some silly crimes?

I hope I'm wrong.

Further, Will he be asked / told to explain on what basis / on what authority or on what recognised protocol he actually made his dishonest speech?  

50 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Further, Will he be asked / told to explain on what basis / on what authority or on what recognised protocol he actually made his dishonest speech?  

Don't forget that you live in Thailand. It has different rules from what we are used to in the West.

So: he can just say: 'I was speaking from my experience, to protect our national security. Do not probe further. There are national security matters which cannot be spoken about here. You must respect higher authority.'

End of the matter.

'Parliament' and 'parliamentarians' are not armed with tanks, bombs, guns, missiles.

But some power-wielders in Thailand ARE. And that makes all the difference.

End of. End of!

At some stage the politicians holding this meeting will be informed of several relevant pieces of information. It may come as homework for them as they answer the following questions they might change their tune a little.

Who was the General's father and why is he keen to follow a family tradition?

Where does he get these silly ideas including but limited to the current fad haircut amongst the military?
Who pushed for him to hold the top post in the military?

8 hours ago, Eligius said:

As good as it is to see that Future Forward and others are trying to rein in certain persons, they must realise by now that Thailand is not a democracy (but a militocracy backed by certain forces)  and that all the power is invested in those very persons and types whose ideas they oppose.

Most of us have long understood that the regime is one which is deaf to rational argument - and most of all to the entire concepts of justice, equity, democracy and civil liberty.

Thailand is not out of the woods yet - and will not be, so far as I can see, for many dark years to come ...

Got it in One... Thailand is stuck between a dis-continued military leader & the next one !

Archived