U.S. House passes legislation taking hard line on China over Hong Kong, Huawei

webfact

35 minutes ago, Longcut said:

. Meghan Markle is a good example. She refuses to bend a knee to others  and they are not happy about it. But, she doesn't care. She's American first.

Yer yer... sure she refuses to bend the knee... but a lot do agree she’s American first. Rude, obstinate and selfish they say

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/meghan-markle-has-broken-royal-protocol-so-many-times-we-lost-count.html/

5 hours ago, Longcut said:

The American people would treat it as they always do. Unlike the rest or the world that worries what others think of them. Americans could care less what the Chinese think. Kind of like they don't care what the Europeans think. It's the American way. 

Really? Have you been to America, have you talked to American's? What about the majority of European countries and other countries who continue their dealings with China despite the large lack of human rights and civil liberties to anyone who isn't CCP first? The statement made is a sweeping generalization that does not resemble current foreign affairs and exhibits ignorance. Every country I've lived in is always about - people have friends, but nations have interests. I think it is to be applauded if most people in the world know what is going on outside their border and if they care about human rights or climate change outside their border, but this rarely happens. A poll was done just last year, stating that only 40% of Europeans have ever left their home. If this is true, most people would not know much about the world around them. It is easy to know about a neighboring country if that country is as far away from you as one US state to another. It is amazing that Americans on the east coast know what is going on in the west coast and vice-versa when the size, from coast to coast is bigger than Europe. I hope that you sir do not keep yourself too isolated from the world, but realize that this same idea goes on everywhere in the world. and most importantly, realize that those people who might know what is going on outside their borders are doing virtually nothing to affect positive change for people in other countries whose human rights are being abused daily. For example, how many people do you know, no matter their country of origin, know what is going on to the Uighur's in China, but continue to buy/support Chinese companies or don't even consider protesting their government to affect real change in the world against countries engaging in daily human rights abuses? If you're country cares that much about what others think of it, why is your country not leading a charge in a positive way, that is being applauded daily on the news? It is easy to criticize, it is another thing to see and acknowledge any good done in the world.

18 minutes ago, curlylekan said:

Really? Have you been to America, have you talked to American's? What about the majority of European countries and other countries who continue their dealings with China despite the large lack of human rights and civil liberties to anyone who isn't CCP first? The statement made is a sweeping generalization that does not resemble current foreign affairs and exhibits ignorance. Every country I've lived in is always about - people have friends, but nations have interests. I think it is to be applauded if most people in the world know what is going on outside their border and if they care about human rights or climate change outside their border, but this rarely happens. A poll was done just last year, stating that only 40% of Europeans have ever left their home. If this is true, most people would not know much about the world around them. It is easy to know about a neighboring country if that country is as far away from you as one US state to another. It is amazing that Americans on the east coast know what is going on in the west coast and vice-versa when the size, from coast to coast is bigger than Europe. I hope that you sir do not keep yourself too isolated from the world, but realize that this same idea goes on everywhere in the world. and most importantly, realize that those people who might know what is going on outside their borders are doing virtually nothing to affect positive change for people in other countries whose human rights are being abused daily. For example, how many people do you know, no matter their country of origin, know what is going on to the Uighur's in China, but continue to buy/support Chinese companies or don't even consider protesting their government to affect real change in the world against countries engaging in daily human rights abuses? If you're country cares that much about what others think of it, why is your country not leading a charge in a positive way, that is being applauded daily on the news? It is easy to criticize, it is another thing to see and acknowledge any good done in the world.

Actually, there are very few countries I have not been to. 

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

Strange conclusion.

Well, the US is ranked #17 and Hong Kong is ranked #3 in the 2018 Human Freedom Index by the Cato Institute. And yet the US rushed to enact a Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act instead of a Saudi Arabia Human Rights and Democracy Act. Saudi Arabia is ranked #146 in that list, mind you.

3 hours ago, Thaidream said:

The day China invades Hong Kong and crushes the protesters is the day the majority of the World will place sanctions against China that will all but destroy their  economy and place the Communist Party at risk of losing power.   

The Europeans imposed an arms embargo on China back in 1989 and maintained it until today but the sanctions backfired. China is now capable of producing all the weapons that it needs. 

8 minutes ago, Selatan said:

Well, the US is ranked #17 and Hong Kong is ranked #3 in the 2018 Human Freedom Index by the Cato Institute. And yet the US rushed to enact a Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act instead of a Saudi Arabia Human Rights and Democracy Act. Saudi Arabia is ranked #146 in that list, mind you.

Which is totally unrelated to your claim that the US was behind the protests.

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

Which is totally unrelated to your claim that the US was behind the protests.

It is related. Or else why the protest leaders went to the US to ask for funds and also met with US diplomats and US politicians before and during the protests? This law finally confirms it. 

1 minute ago, Selatan said:

It is related. Or else why the protest leaders went to the US to ask for funds and also met with US diplomats and US politicians before and during the protests? This law finally confirms it. 

Any sources for that?

And even if true, it doesn't confirm at all the US is behind the protests.

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Any sources for that?

And even if true, it doesn't confirm at all the US is behind the protests.

Look at the bill itself. Why would the US wants to bar Hong Kong from implementing Article 23 of the Hong Kong's Basic Law but hypocritically wants China to implement Article 45 by 2020?

Article 23
The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region shall enact laws on its own to prohibit any act of treason, secession, sedition, subversion against the Central People's Government, or theft of state secrets, to prohibit foreign political organisations or bodies from conducting political activities in the Region, and to prohibit political organisations or bodies of the Region from establishing ties with foreign political organisations or bodies

That's because the National Endowment for Democracy (NED), which is a well-known CIA front to channel money to overthrow governments all over the world, have provided funds to Hong Kong politicians that are anti-China.

U.S. Fingerprints All Over Hong Kong Violence

Hong Kong activist goes on defensive after being photographed with US consulate official

43 minutes ago, Selatan said:

Look at the bill itself. Why would the US wants to bar Hong Kong from implementing Article 23 of the Hong Kong's Basic Law but hypocritically wants China to implement Article 45 by 2020?

That's because the National Endowment for Democracy (NED), which is a well-known CIA front to channel money to overthrow governments all over the world, have provided funds to Hong Kong politicians that are anti-China.

Hong Kong activist goes on defensive after being photographed with US consulate official

I'm not saying US is not involved, could easily be. But your argumentation is far from convincing, your sources don't deserve that name and your earlier argument, 'the US choose to enact a human rights act in Hong Kong rather than SA' is not even an indication, let alone proof.

I was speaking to one of the Hongkies at work, and his view was that it was mostly about disillusionment and disenfranchisement.

As I recall, either the Basic Law or the agreement involved a gradualmove towards democracy. 

Young people feel that they are being priced out of their own country by hot money fromChina and elsewhere, and I think that the riots have been an effective tool against inflation, albeit a bitter medicine with worse side-effects than chemotherapy

The world has something to do with it. If an injustice is being done. It is everyone's responsibility to act. You act as if the U.S. is the only country that disapproves of China's actions. 

Pretty close. Let’s face it the total hypocrisy of America and the obviously glaring connections between HK and anything China associated is... well basically ignorant. Come on folks, this uneducated view that the western (controlled) media is perpetrating of China is just straight out schoolyard white supremacy jealousy. We are better than this. Well most of us are I would hope. America has shown its colours over and over and over. It’s time to grow up and admit that we (the West) have generally made a <deleted>ful mess of the world. Lets stand aside, regroup and let someone else have a go. We are not gods. We are not the supreme beings. Sure the movies say we are, but isn’t that the whole problem? Our analogy of the world revolves around fantasy. Our history, even as manipulated as it is, still shows we are the masters of one direction, rape, pillage and plunder. Time for ALL of us to become adults and most of all HUMAN BEINGS.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10 hours ago, zydeco said:

Yep. Great comparison! Because I see the Hong Kong protesters out there chopping off reporters' heads, capturing downed pilots and burning them alive in cages, etc., etc., etc.

Petrol bombs and a razor attack on a policemans neck? IEDs? They're getting there.

10 hours ago, taxout said:

"China opposes US passage of HK-related legislation"

https://global.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201910/16/WS5da66a6ca310cf3e35570ae0.html

If telling the US Congress what legislation it should or should not enact isn't interference in US affairs, I'm not sure what would be.

A newspaper comment versus legislation? Must do better.

8 hours ago, Selatan said:

So China was right all along - that the US was behind the protests and riots in Hong Kong.

Was anyone in any doubt?

5 minutes ago, singking said:

Pretty close. Let’s face it the total hypocrisy of America and the obviously glaring connections between HK and anything China associated is... well basically ignorant. Come on folks, this uneducated view that the western (controlled) media is perpetrating of China is just straight out schoolyard white supremacy jealousy. We are better than this. Well most of us are I would hope. America has shown its colours over and over and over. It’s time to grow up and admit that we (the West) have generally made a <deleted>ful mess of the world. Lets stand aside, regroup and let someone else have a go. We are not gods. We are not the supreme beings. Sure the movies say we are, but isn’t that the whole problem? Our analogy of the world revolves around fantasy. Our history, even as manipulated as it is, still shows we are the masters of one direction, rape, pillage and plunder. Time for ALL of us to become adults and most of all HUMAN BEINGS.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Not so sure about that.  I’m glad that I’m a British peasant and not a Chinese peasant, and most of my colleagues don’t want to be subjected to Chinese colonial rule.

Despite the recent troubles, plenty of Chinese people who can afford it move to Hong Kong. Or Canada.

2 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Not so sure about that.  I’m glad that I’m a British peasant and not a Chinese peasant, and most of my colleagues don’t want to be subjected to Chinese colonial rule.

Despite the recent troubles, plenty of Chinese people who can afford it move to Hong Kong. Or Canada.

Your colleagues can breathe easy. China has no colonial ambitions.

Waits for regurgitation of American think tank reports on the South China Sea and Indian border squabbles. ????

9 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Your colleagues can breathe easy. China has no colonial ambitions.

Waits for regurgitation of American think tank reports on the South China Sea and Indian border squabbles. ????

Sarcasm will get you nowhere.  My colleagues are fully aware of China’s colonial ambitions on our project, in their country and elsewhere.

3 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

I was speaking to one of the Hongkies at work, and his view was that it was mostly about disillusionment and disenfranchisement.

As I recall, either the Basic Law or the agreement involved a gradualmove towards democracy. 

Young people feel that they are being priced out of their own country by hot money fromChina and elsewhere, and I think that the riots have been an effective tool against inflation, albeit a bitter medicine with worse side-effects than chemotherapy

China had offered the universal suffrage deal back in 2014 but the anti-China opposition lawmakers blocked it because they didn't want any candidate to be filtered by China. But why would China allow anti-China candidates to run as Chief Executive of HK? Foreign powers can always spend a lot of money to make sure their puppets win, don't you think? 

Overthrowing other people’s governments: The Master List

10 hours ago, Longcut said:

Like I said, it doesn't matter. American don't wake up in the morning and think. Gee, I wonder what other countries are thinking of us today.  I wonder if the Queen of England is happy with us or not. Meghan Markle is a good example. She refuses to bend a knee to others  and they are not happy about it. But, she doesn't care. She's American first.

Well that makes her a better bet than Trump , you should ask her to run against him.

7 hours ago, Selatan said:

Which department of the Chinese government do you represent ?

8 hours ago, Selatan said:

Ah but where is China on the list ?Because Hong Kong will soon join them if the brave demonstrators are defeated and slaughtered as happened at Tiananamen Square.

7 hours ago, Selatan said:

Lol , you must be new at the job , here is a little tip ; Its best not to use Chinese state propaganda to confirm your own pro Chinese propaganda .

"A newspaper comment versus legislation? Must do better."

You really should read the link before commenting, otherwise you look ill-informed. It wasn't a newspaper commentary; it was a news story reporting on a statement by China's Foreign Ministry:

"Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said in an online statement that if the act becomes a law, it will not only undermine China's interests and Sino-US relations, but also the interests of the US itself.  .  ,  ,  Calling the passing of the act a 'wrong decision' by the US, Geng urged Washington to understand the situation clearly, immediately stop advancing the act and interfering in Hong Kong's affairs as well as China's domestic affairs."

On 10/16/2019 at 11:14 AM, soalbundy said:

I wonder what the US would think if China started protesting about the "wall" on the Mexican border.

Might get the the idea to annex Mexico to the US. Make it an autononous area and then immediately break the rules and drive the natives to South America. Sounds like a plan.

Archived