BANGKOK
webfact

Brexit deal within reach in last-ditch talks, but doubts remain

Everyone is questioning what Johnson is going to do next.  The distrust is staggering and not helps by todays confirmation by Boris's office.  It started with them saying that a letter would be sent asking for an extension on Saturday if no deal is agreed.  The very next sentence said "but we will be leaving on the 31st October no matter what".  Boris's pledge from day one.  How can you claim both will happen?  Now Johnson has hinted that he will ask for an extension if there is no deal agreed.

So Boris has accepted that no-deal is not an option?  And there are still some who think's he is the man for the job?  Has this man ever played a straight bat in his life?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Everyone is questioning what Johnson is going to do next.  The distrust is staggering and not helps by todays confirmation by Boris's office.  It started with them saying that a letter would be sent asking for an extension on Saturday if no deal is agreed.  The very next sentence said "but we will be leaving on the 31st October no matter what".  Boris's pledge from day one.  How can you claim both will happen?  Now Johnson has hinted that he will ask for an extension if there is no deal agreed.

So Boris has accepted that no-deal is not an option?  And there are still some who think's he is the man for the job?  Has this man ever played a straight bat in his life?

I think he is the man for the job.

He has made much more progress than the woeful T. May.

Who would YOU have batting for us?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Second time I have been asked that.  Odd question to ask someone who voted remain don't you think?

As for Johnson's progress, you and I and just about everyone else haven't got a clue what progress he has made because he is keeping it a closely guarded secret.  Something I do understand.  He has lost every vote in Parliament, had Tory MPs crossing the floor and now has a substantial minority government.

Well I am glad you feel he is the man for the job 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Second time I have been asked that.  Odd question to ask someone who voted remain don't you think?

As for Johnson's progress, you and I and just about everyone else haven't got a clue what progress he has made because he is keeping it a closely guarded secret.  Something I do understand.  He has lost every vote in Parliament, had Tory MPs crossing the floor and now has a substantial minority government.

Well I am glad you feel he is the man for the job 

You didn't answer my question but are happy to just criticise those attempting to do their job.

Even as a remainer you have a vested interest in the UK's success in the negotiations.

Now, you clearly don't rate Boris so who would you put forward. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

You didn't answer my question but are happy to just criticise those attempting to do their job.

Even as a remainer you have a vested interest in the UK's success in the negotiations.

Now, you clearly don't rate Boris so who would you put forward. 

OK let me clarify.  As a remainer my vote was defeated and therefore I don't have someone to "back".  Like everyone else I am a bystander.  I didn't vote for May and none of us voted for Johnson.  Still that is who we have.  We cannot replace him so it is a matter of whether we think he is doing the best job and negotiating a deal that will make Brexit as UK friendly as is possible.

Therefore Brexit will be judged by his success or failure.  There are some checks and balances that can be put in place (and have been) to stop him taking us over the cliff edge.  Thanks' to the British public in the last general election the Tory Party majority was cut back considerably.  So they had to get into bed with the DUP.  That has complicated the potential deal for a start.  Then Johnson withdrew the Whip wiping out more MP's and because of his cavalier approach other Tory MPs gave him the finger and and crossed the house.  All this makes it harder for him to get a deal agreed with parliament.  Then you have his pals in the ERG who he has promised a hard Brexit to.

I concede that Johnson has a really difficult task to fulfil but only he has made this as difficult as it is.  When I say him I also mean Cummings as well.  And of course I do have a vested interest in what sort of Brexit we end up with.  I accepted long ago that Brexit would go ahead and I have been hoping for a sensible one staying in the single market and customs union.  If Johnson adopted that approach he would get my backing.  

Edited by dunroaming
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

So, Boris is trying to figure out a way to sell out the people of NI. What a surprise...

If a British PM was willing to screw over their own people so badly and create a British border in the Irish sea, then a deal could have been reached a long time ago. Why not just grant independence to Northern Ireland and allow for u  

11 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

why not just grant independence to Northern Ireland and allow for unification?

Good idea,but first why not give eire a referendum about if they want to stay in the eu?

57 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

OK let me clarify.  As a remainer my vote was defeated and therefore I don't have someone to "back".  Like everyone else I am a bystander.  I didn't vote for May and none of us voted for Johnson.  Still that is who we have.  We cannot replace him so it is a matter of whether we think he is doing the best job and negotiating a deal that will make Brexit as UK friendly as is possible.

Therefore Brexit will be judged by his success or failure.  There are some checks and balances that can be put in place (and have been) to stop him taking us over the cliff edge.  Thanks' to the British public in the last general election the Tory Party majority was cut back considerably.  So they had to get into bed with the DUP.  That has complicated the potential deal for a start.  Then Johnson withdrew the Whip wiping out more MP's and because of his cavalier approach other Tory MPs gave him the finger and and crossed the house.  All this makes it harder for him to get a deal agreed with parliament.  Then you have his pals in the ERG who he has promised a hard Brexit to.

I concede that Johnson has a really difficult task to fulfil but only he has made this as difficult as it is.  When I say him I also mean Cummings as well.  And of course I do have a vested interest in what sort of Brexit we end up with.  I accepted long ago that Brexit would go ahead and I have been hoping for a sensible one staying in the single market and customs union.  If Johnson adopted that approach he would get my backing.  

Fair comments.

Thank you for answering.

4 hours ago, Jip99 said:

What progress has he made? We are still in the EU, while May would have had us out had she not been betrayed by Johnson and other Tory backstabbers.

• Like 2

EU-UK deal pretty much done: EU sources

Britain and the EU are close to a tentative Brexit deal which will need backing from the UK government, according to EU sources.

https://www.news.com.au/world/breaking-news/uk-struggles-to-agree-on-late-brexit-deal/news-story/97a62da94d0f5a9ee2c6ba5b3e8a2891

6 hours ago, tebee said:

And we all know what happens when you let a slight majority take control of the political process and completely ignore the minorities views. 

Yeah,mob rule and anarchy

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Brexit deal within reach in last-ditch talks

I presume it was "no pun intended"... :coffee1:

New IRA says border infrastructure would be ‘legitimate target for attack’

"In an interview with Channel 4 News, the group said it was committed to ‘armed actions’ against border infrastructure – and ‘the people who are manning them’."

https://www.channel4.com/news/new-ira-says-border-infrastructure-would-be-legitimate-target-for-attack

Sent from my SM-G975F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

What progress has he made? We are still in the EU, while May would have had us out had she not been betrayed by Johnson and other Tory backstabbers.

But she didn't - her 'deal' was never a deal that would pass parliamentary approval.

"Progress".... read the newspapers - they are not all billsh1t.

18 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

You still need to ask the question ?

I would say that agreeing a deal with EU, that sees the backstop removed, comes under the heading of progress.