BANGKOK
ledi

Relocating to Phitsanulok?

Wife and I are considering relocating from Bangkok to Phitsanulok.

I was wondering if some members would have some experience and tipps to share regarding living in Phitsanulok.

As wife is originally from Phitsanulok province she'd like to move back there after 20 years from the hassle of Bangkok. She is planning to purchase a house with land in the vicinity of the city.  She's running a successful online business and for me (marketeer) time is approaching to take it a bit easier work wise. (I've been based in BKK for over 15 years).

Here are some points I'd love to hear some advice about:

• Recommended areas around Phitsanulok to look for a decent piece of land with house at a reasonable price.
  • How is internet coverage (fast fiber?)
  • How reliable are utility supplies such as water and electricity?
  • Farangs in P-Lok: are there any communities, pubs, meeting places, activities?
  • Is local immigration office user-friendly? Experiences? (I will be on a retirement visa by the time we move.)
  • We have cats and a dog: recommended vets around there?
  • Hospitals/medical services: public hospitals/private? English speaking? reasonable rates?
  • Legal and accounting services in Phitsanulok - to assist wife / or visa support services
  • Intl Air travel: Albeit there are a few flight out of PHS they all go to DMK. Flying out to Europe and Australia might be a bit more complicated as from BKK. Any experiences to share?
  • Big bike: any biker group(s) around there?
  • Safety in general? Criminality?
  • Other comments?

Thanks heaps! Any advice and hint is welcome!

34 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

The city itself in my opinion is a dump.  There are many French tourists there now so be aware . Why in the world they would go there i have no idea they can barely speak English let alone Thai. They run around in packs lost and NEVER smiling. normal behavior. Out in the country side better. Not my favorite province but ok. Would i ever live in the province NO!

thanks Mitkof... 😃 I guess tourists coming in hordes are a bit of a strain - doesn't matter which country they are from... 

10 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Used to have a girlfriend from there years ago ,went a few times ,to be honest ,would not be my destination of choice .

thanks Bert. We are just back from a short reconnaissance tour. Seems to me things are changing.   

My wife lived in Phitsanulok for 25 years but we when we moved from Samui we came up here in the mountains. I have never lived in the city but I do hate driving there. The sois seem to be much smaller than, say Phetchbun, and the traffic more congested.

Apart from that we do not mind the place and the shopping facilities are there for most things. There is a choice of private hospitals and some are not expensive.

The traveling out of the country is really a hassle as you say, having to fly first to DMK and out with Air Asia or Nok Scoot, or bus to BKK for the other airlines. They are doing a lot of work at the airport terminal so maybe there could be some international flights in the future.

When we first came here we had to use the Phitsanulok immigration (now Phetchabun) and found them very helpful (compared to Samui).

Good luck.

• Like 1

I found it to be architecturally boring. The Phra Buddha Chinnawat is there, so there are hordes and hordes of Thai buddhists who pilgrimate there. The river walk is kind of nice. The food was excellent.

• Like 1

I stopped over after a trip to Laos. I had some work to do, so just stayed in the hotel and took it easy. A couple of things that struck me was that I always needed up on this huge straight concrete freeway with too many traffic lights, which seemed to form the backbone of the city.

I needed something, i forget what, I headed over to Central festival, it seemed devoid of shops, just unfilled lots.

I had a nice meal in the Penang steak house, it was very busy, food was good, it seems like the owner really wants to provide quality meat and do something special, it was probably one of the best pieces of meat I have ever eaten in Thailand.

I imagined at the time it would be quite difficult to live there, for a couple of reasons. There were a couple of private hospitals as someone mentioned, I guess this is always quite important, but I could imagine a regular trip to Chiang Mai to repair items or go shopping. 

Don't do it bangkok will seem like a eutopia 3 months in

Post 2,

very true for the French.
They do not smile, often mouth. Like home.

But the Scandinavians it's not much better,
and besides, they have trouble supporting others and live in autarky.