Relocating to Phitsanulok?

ledi

Wife and I are considering relocating from Bangkok to Phitsanulok.

I was wondering if some members would have some experience and tipps to share regarding living in Phitsanulok.

As wife is originally from Phitsanulok province she'd like to move back there after 20 years from the hassle of Bangkok. She is planning to purchase a house with land in the vicinity of the city.  She's running a successful online business and for me (marketeer) time is approaching to take it a bit easier work wise. (I've been based in BKK for over 15 years).

Here are some points I'd love to hear some advice about:

• Recommended areas around Phitsanulok to look for a decent piece of land with house at a reasonable price.
  • How is internet coverage (fast fiber?)
  • How reliable are utility supplies such as water and electricity?
  • Farangs in P-Lok: are there any communities, pubs, meeting places, activities?
  • Is local immigration office user-friendly? Experiences? (I will be on a retirement visa by the time we move.)
  • We have cats and a dog: recommended vets around there?
  • Hospitals/medical services: public hospitals/private? English speaking? reasonable rates?
  • Legal and accounting services in Phitsanulok - to assist wife / or visa support services
  • Intl Air travel: Albeit there are a few flight out of PHS they all go to DMK. Flying out to Europe and Australia might be a bit more complicated as from BKK. Any experiences to share?
  • Big bike: any biker group(s) around there?
  • Safety in general? Criminality?
  • Other comments?

Thanks heaps! Any advice and hint is welcome!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The city itself in my opinion is a dump.  There are many French tourists there now so be aware . Why in the world they would go there i have no idea they can barely speak English let alone Thai. They run around in packs lost and NEVER smiling. normal behavior. Out in the country side better. Not my favorite province but ok. Would i ever live in the province NO!

34 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

The city itself in my opinion is a dump.  There are many French tourists there now so be aware . Why in the world they would go there i have no idea they can barely speak English let alone Thai. They run around in packs lost and NEVER smiling. normal behavior. Out in the country side better. Not my favorite province but ok. Would i ever live in the province NO!

thanks Mitkof... ???? I guess tourists coming in hordes are a bit of a strain - doesn't matter which country they are from... 

10 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Used to have a girlfriend from there years ago ,went a few times ,to be honest ,would not be my destination of choice .

thanks Bert. We are just back from a short reconnaissance tour. Seems to me things are changing.   

Used to go there & visit a gal friend....Nice gal = but never found much that was appealing, likeable, entertaining, or convenient about the place....

Some places are just too blah - add dirty with difficult parking & very, very limited english speaking possibilities including movies, book stores, shopping, night life (dire).....

You won't have access to much of anything there versus BKK's conveniences that made life liveable....

Even with that nice little gal, I don't think I would have lasted a year there....

Your wife may feel like she's in her glory there, but, it could be very different for you....

My wife lived in Phitsanulok for 25 years but we when we moved from Samui we came up here in the mountains. I have never lived in the city but I do hate driving there. The sois seem to be much smaller than, say Phetchbun, and the traffic more congested.

Apart from that we do not mind the place and the shopping facilities are there for most things. There is a choice of private hospitals and some are not expensive.

The traveling out of the country is really a hassle as you say, having to fly first to DMK and out with Air Asia or Nok Scoot, or bus to BKK for the other airlines. They are doing a lot of work at the airport terminal so maybe there could be some international flights in the future.

When we first came here we had to use the Phitsanulok immigration (now Phetchabun) and found them very helpful (compared to Samui).

Good luck.

I found it to be architecturally boring. The Phra Buddha Chinnawat is there, so there are hordes and hordes of Thai buddhists who pilgrimate there. The river walk is kind of nice. The food was excellent.

Hi Ledi, to try and answer some of your points (from someone actually living here) see below:

Recommended areas around Phitsanulok to look for a decent piece of land with house at a reasonable price.

The price of land has gone up pretty high here (as much of Thailand) so beware of that. Land is available but be warned that new mo bans are being built on what seems like a monthly basis so getting builders may be a problem.

How is internet coverage (fast fiber?)

Internet is excellent here (always has been is my experience) with all major ISPs having good packages. Which is the best would depend where you are located. 

How reliable are utility supplies such as water and electricity?

Utilities are pretty stable as long as you are on the mains for your water. Electricity is also stable except for the begining of the rainy season but this is a trait throughout Thailand.

Farangs in P-Lok: are there any communities, pubs, meeting places, activities?

P-lok is the educational hub for the province; 3 x univercities, countless schools & colleges so there are foreign teachers everywhere. That said, numbers are dropping as more philippino teachers seem to be taking there place. A lot of retired expats here and we still have a fair number of O&G expats based here (but a lot less than before)

Is local immigration office user-friendly? Experiences? (I will be on a retirement visa by the time we move.)

Yes, Phitsanulok immigration is very friendly, definitely one of the better ones in Thailand in my experience. I may be a bit bias here as I know most of them through work.

We have cats and a dog: recommended vets around there?

You will have no problems finding vets here, they even have an animal hospital. Advice would be to wait until you get here and visit some of them. I can't recommend any as people have different requirements of services offered.

Hospitals/medical services: public hospitals/private? English speaking? reasonable rates?

Hospitals everywhere, I suppose Bankok Phitsanulok being the biggest private one. All the private ones definitely have English speakers.

Legal and accounting services in Phitsanulok - to assist wife / or visa support services

Can't advise on that but certainly will have legal/accounting services (Thai) available. Not sure about visa support.

Intl Air travel: Albeit there are a few flight out of PHS they all go to DMK. Flying out to Europe and Australia might be a bit more complicated as from BKK. Any experiences to share?

P-lok airport currently only fly to (and from) Don Muang, so you will need transfer and take it from there.

Big bike: any biker group(s) around there?

Yes, there is a biker group here in Phits. Good people all of them.

Safety in general? Criminality?

I have found no problems over the last 20 years living and working here and the only crimes I have heard about (Thai - Farang) have almost all been the Farang's fault in that they were the ones that kicked it off. So I would say very safe. That said, don't ignore the fact that crime happens everywhere, P-lok definitely isn't crime free.

Other comments?

Phits also has it's 2 x Tesco Lotus, 2 x Macro, Big-C, Central Plaza Thai Watsadu and all the other DIY brand chain stores represented, so almost everything available.

All the above said, you will need a hobby here at the very least as it is very different from the commercial areas of Thailand. To be honest, if I wasn't working (in the earlier years) I'm not sure I would have lasted.

We now own our own house, have been here so long that I can't see us moving again.

I stopped over after a trip to Laos. I had some work to do, so just stayed in the hotel and took it easy. A couple of things that struck me was that I always needed up on this huge straight concrete freeway with too many traffic lights, which seemed to form the backbone of the city.

I needed something, i forget what, I headed over to Central festival, it seemed devoid of shops, just unfilled lots.

I had a nice meal in the Penang steak house, it was very busy, food was good, it seems like the owner really wants to provide quality meat and do something special, it was probably one of the best pieces of meat I have ever eaten in Thailand.

I imagined at the time it would be quite difficult to live there, for a couple of reasons. There were a couple of private hospitals as someone mentioned, I guess this is always quite important, but I could imagine a regular trip to Chiang Mai to repair items or go shopping. 

As for LEDI, the tastes and expectations of some are not necessarily those of others.
We can live in a rat hole and be there,
  because we have a hermit's soul,
or live in a big city, but in a quiet corner with all the comforts nearby.
It's your feeling and your future.

I live between P and KP, and often visit P.

How is internet coverage (fast fiber?) I have good fibre service from TOT.

Hospitals/medical services: public hospitals/private? English speaking? reasonable rates? I use Phitsanuvej Private for medical and dental. Service and prices ok, same as for Thai. If your Thai is not good you should take your wife, their English is poor.

Intl Air travel: Albeit there are a few flight out of PHS they all go to DMK. Flying out to Europe and Australia might be a bit more complicated as from BKK. Any experiences to share? I often go to BKK, sometimes use Air Asia. Usually use the train. Train to BKK is slightly better than the bus, train from BKK is much better than the bus.

No safety issues, other than bad driving, and traffic lights sometimes not working.

There are many vacant buildings, so the local economy is probably bad.

I spent a lot of time in rural Australia, so in comparison, P has good facilities.

I like living here. My hometown is boring, if I want more I go to P, then BKK, then for a real step up: Taipei. 

I think chrisinth has summed it up pretty well.

It is a typical provincial capitol , not outstanding but not as bad as some posters make out. I pass through and overnight there two or three times a year and found it had everything I was looking for. Compared to Bangkok , traffic is not an issue.

Some parts are better than others so the best way to find out is to spend a week there driving around until you find somewhere you like.

Here is an example of property available just outside the northern ring road. 1,790,000 baht.

https://www.ddproperty.com/en/property/บ้านเดี่ยวชั้นเดียว-บ้านกร่าง-พิษณุโลก-ใกล้-ม-เทคโนโลยีราชมงคลล้านนา-for-sale-5989937

บ้านมั่นคง 1 #69656817

The one thing that impressed me about Phitsanoluk was the road out of town! highway 12 to KK in places is one of the best roads in Thailand if you have a suitable bike or car to take advantage! :wink:

Apart from that just another dull Thai town that is poorly planned.

I follow P-loc and Bang Rakam AQI because that’s where my wife’s family compound/rice fields are. AirVisual rates them both at 95 right now. Earlier this year, March-May say, 150 was common. I like the place, just for 5-6 day visits (3 houses, 1 chair - ouch). The city is of minor interest (better before when they had a ‘flying veggies’ place on the riverside), the famous Wat is impressive, small coffee culture, limited restaurant scene, nice people, riverside should be un-developed to get back to it’s pleasant atmosphere, streetscape typically boring with the same banks/businesses over and over again, evening market okay.

Good luck.

Do You know one step left im in P/loc, one right yer in U Diit, should have braked harder n ruined your post.Midday shall have My Leo at Mountain Market , Phitsanulok Avocado are expensive, hence a day out.????[emoji481]????

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 10/16/2019 at 11:16 AM, pgrahmm said:

Used to go there & visit a gal friend....Nice gal = but never found much that was appealing, likeable, entertaining, or convenient about the place....

Some places are just too blah - add dirty with difficult parking & very, very limited english speaking possibilities including movies, book stores, shopping, night life (dire).....

You won't have access to much of anything there versus BKK's conveniences that made life liveable....

Even with that nice little gal, I don't think I would have lasted a year there....

Your wife may feel like she's in her glory there, but, it could be very different for you....

Maybe wgdanson will be along soon, he will know better than anybody.

3 hours ago, chrisinth said:

Hi Ledi, to try and answer some of your points (from someone actually living here) see below:

Recommended areas around Phitsanulok to look for a decent piece of land with house at a reasonable price.

The price of land has gone up pretty high here (as much of Thailand) so beware of that. Land is available but be warned that new mo bans are being built on what seems like a monthly basis so getting builders may be a problem.

How is internet coverage (fast fiber?)

Internet is excellent here (always has been is my experience) with all major ISPs having good packages. Which is the best would depend where you are located. 

How reliable are utility supplies such as water and electricity?

Utilities are pretty stable as long as you are on the mains for your water. Electricity is also stable except for the begining of the rainy season but this is a trait throughout Thailand.

Farangs in P-Lok: are there any communities, pubs, meeting places, activities?

P-lok is the educational hub for the province; 3 x univercities, countless schools & colleges so there are foreign teachers everywhere. That said, numbers are dropping as more philippino teachers seem to be taking there place. A lot of retired expats here and we still have a fair number of O&G expats based here (but a lot less than before)

Is local immigration office user-friendly? Experiences? (I will be on a retirement visa by the time we move.)

Yes, Phitsanulok immigration is very friendly, definitely one of the better ones in Thailand in my experience. I may be a bit bias here as I know most of them through work.

We have cats and a dog: recommended vets around there?

You will have no problems finding vets here, they even have an animal hospital. Advice would be to wait until you get here and visit some of them. I can't recommend any as people have different requirements of services offered.

Hospitals/medical services: public hospitals/private? English speaking? reasonable rates?

Hospitals everywhere, I suppose Bankok Phitsanulok being the biggest private one. All the private ones definitely have English speakers.

Legal and accounting services in Phitsanulok - to assist wife / or visa support services

Can't advise on that but certainly will have legal/accounting services (Thai) available. Not sure about visa support.

Intl Air travel: Albeit there are a few flight out of PHS they all go to DMK. Flying out to Europe and Australia might be a bit more complicated as from BKK. Any experiences to share?

P-lok airport currently only fly to (and from) Don Muang, so you will need transfer and take it from there.

Big bike: any biker group(s) around there?

Yes, there is a biker group here in Phits. Good people all of them.

Safety in general? Criminality?

I have found no problems over the last 20 years living and working here and the only crimes I have heard about (Thai - Farang) have almost all been the Farang's fault in that they were the ones that kicked it off. So I would say very safe. That said, don't ignore the fact that crime happens everywhere, P-lok definitely isn't crime free.

Other comments?

Phits also has it's 2 x Tesco Lotus, 2 x Macro, Big-C, Central Plaza Thai Watsadu and all the other DIY brand chain stores represented, so almost everything available.

All the above said, you will need a hobby here at the very least as it is very different from the commercial areas of Thailand. To be honest, if I wasn't working (in the earlier years) I'm not sure I would have lasted.

We now own our own house, have been here so long that I can't see us moving again.

You forgot to mention that there is also a Tops Supermarket at Central Plaza.

Archived