Relocating to Phitsanulok?

ledi

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, ThaiWai said:

Choose one of the green spots on this map if you can find one for your house and invest in a few canoes. 

That's actually a very valid point; don't just listen to the person trying to sell the land but look for the 'tide' marks as well..............:thumbsup:

Below where the rip is visible on the right of the photo there is a walking path, with lamp posts every 50 metres or so. (This was exceptional though, I think this was 2012 when the original photo was taken). When the river is this high, it blocks all the drainage outlets in the inner city area and they need to rig water pumps to help get rid of the excess.

resized_26042010972_c.jpg.4a3bbb2b94377cf9e4d81ae67506bb85.jpg

6 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

Choose one of the green spots on this map if you can find one for your house and invest in a few canoes. 

chn nr

Generally that's good advice. If there are rivers around, head for the high-ground well before you may need to.

Some areas that never had a problem have been sacrificed for political expediency in areas such as Bangkok. Achieved by localised 'improvements' in your area.

On 10/16/2019 at 9:16 AM, bert bloggs said:

Used to have a girlfriend from there years ago ,went a few times ,to be honest ,would not be my destination of choice .

Went there once .

Hope this info helps ...

I live a province over and would say this about Phitsanulok from a north-central Thailand perspective:

1. pretty girls

2. great shopping; you can get a lot there that isn't available for the next few hundred kilometers.

3. best traditional massage in the region

4. best veterinarian in the region (phitsanulok animal hospital)

5. best hospitals in the region

6. good parks/caves

7. most impressive temple in the area (chinnarat)

8. vegetarian food availability

9. excellent fiber optic speeds / prices

10. terrible traffic delays due to the huge number of non consecutive traffic lights to get across town. Or even worse the days the police are stopping everyone. Despite being new, the highway 12 road surface outside of town is crumbling away and is the thai "modern" type that they are putting up concrete barrier medians that are not relaxing to drive. but at least it is 4 lane which is so wonderful compared to days past.

23 minutes ago, canopy said:

I live a province over and would say this about Phitsanulok from a north-central Thailand perspective:

1. pretty girls

2. great shopping; you can get a lot there that isn't available for the next few hundred kilometers.

3. best traditional massage in the region

4. best veterinarian in the region (phitsanulok animal hospital)

5. best hospitals in the region

6. good parks/caves

7. most impressive temple in the area (chinnarat)

8. vegetarian food availability

9. excellent fiber optic speeds / prices

10. terrible traffic delays due to the huge number of non consecutive traffic lights to get across town. Or even worse the days the police are stopping everyone. Despite being new, the highway 12 road surface outside of town is crumbling away and is the thai "modern" type that they are putting up concrete barrier medians that are not relaxing to drive. but at least it is 4 lane which is so wonderful compared to days past.

thanks @canopy

On 10/18/2019 at 12:54 PM, recom273 said:

I stopped over after a trip to Laos. I had some work to do, so just stayed in the hotel and took it easy. A couple of things that struck me was that I always needed up on this huge straight concrete freeway with too many traffic lights, which seemed to form the backbone of the city.

I needed something, i forget what, I headed over to Central festival, it seemed devoid of shops, just unfilled lots.

I had a nice meal in the Penang steak house, it was very busy, food was good, it seems like the owner really wants to provide quality meat and do something special, it was probably one of the best pieces of meat I have ever eaten in Thailand.

I imagined at the time it would be quite difficult to live there, for a couple of reasons. There were a couple of private hospitals as someone mentioned, I guess this is always quite important, but I could imagine a regular trip to Chiang Mai to repair items or go shopping. 

Twice I went to Penang Steak House, never again. I am not sure of your idea of good meat, but it did not come up to a standard, but I find steak is not good in restaurants in Thailand 

On 10/16/2019 at 1:36 AM, ledi said:

As wife is originally from Phitsanulok province she'd like to move back there after 20 years from the hassle of Bangkok. She is planning to purchase a house with land in the vicinity of the city.

Will her family be living nearby? Something you should check out, I've read horror stories about that.

Don't do it, I lived in Bangkok for a long period of time than moved to Buriram in Isaan. Not that Buriram is a bad place its really quite nice. But the language and the lack of anything to do besides hang out at the farang pubs will drive you crazy after living in Bangkok. To each his own but thats my take. Good luck

18 minutes ago, Blue bruce said:

Don't do it, I lived in Bangkok for a long period of time than moved to Buriram in Isaan. Not that Buriram is a bad place its really quite nice. But the language and the lack of anything to do besides hang out at the farang pubs will drive you crazy after living in Bangkok. To each his own but thats my take. Good luck

says hes been here for yonks so cant see language being an issue. 

Ex-wife from P'lok. Used to visit regularly, and, even now, still visit once a year to take our child for a holiday with mum - our child lives in Europe with me.

I got bored years ago, and I still get bored now. Really, there's nothing, absolutely nothing, to keep a farang occupied. It's a non-descript town, that is only useful because it's the closest stepping off point for Sukhothai.

Living there? Not a good idea at all! As a previous poster wrote, it's definitely God's waiting Room.

It’s a great base if you’re into touring on bikes.
New Ducati showroom just opened off the by pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The Ducati showroom is the first thing I noticed and yes, great starting point for great big tours. That is why I am (very) open to the idea of moving there. :)
(I am not a Ducati riders, but they have my brand, too, in Phitsanulok. )

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 10/16/2019 at 11:16 AM, pgrahmm said:

Used to go there & visit a gal friend....Nice gal = but never found much that was appealing, likeable, entertaining, or convenient about the place....

Some places are just too blah - add dirty with difficult parking & very, very limited english speaking possibilities including movies, book stores, shopping, night life (dire).....

You won't have access to much of anything there versus BKK's conveniences that made life liveable....

Even with that nice little gal, I don't think I would have lasted a year there....

Your wife may feel like she's in her glory there, but, it could be very different for you....

good retort.....

On 10/20/2019 at 2:52 AM, cabanlit said:

Ex-wife from P'lok. Used to visit regularly, and, even now, still visit once a year to take our child for a holiday with mum - our child lives in Europe with me.

I got bored years ago, and I still get bored now. Really, there's nothing, absolutely nothing, to keep a farang occupied. It's a non-descript town, that is only useful because it's the closest stepping off point for Sukhothai.

Living there? Not a good idea at all! As a previous poster wrote, it's definitely God's waiting Room.

Sukhothai is just as boring as P'lok once you've seen the ruins a couple of times.

I live 35 kms from the town, go there twice a week for Tesco/Big C/ Macro. There are several good restaurants in town, not many 'falang' orientated, but hey, you are in Thailand so eat Thai food.

And I don't believe in God so no worries there.

On 10/20/2019 at 10:57 AM, JaiLai said:

It’s a great base if you’re into touring on bikes.
New Ducati showroom just opened off the by pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

How often do you buy a Ducati?

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 2:52 AM, cabanlit said:

Totally agree with you. It's the pits. Full of traffic daytime, empty (read dead) at night.

Saying that it does have some good hospitals. And one or two shopping mails. Their Makro is also quite good.

Into big bikes are ya?.....well, the king lives in Pitts...the Mini-Donut King, that is!!

He's a hardcore Harley rider and rumbles around Thailand with his Hi-So club mates.

Definately the dude you gonna wanna hook-up with. He's got a club house in town,just look for the orange & black building (Harley colors).

Oh, another thing about that town,the traffic stops at 8am for the National Anthem!

10 hours ago, HaleySabai said:

Into big bikes are ya?.....well, the king lives in Pitts...the Mini-Donut King, that is!!

He's a hardcore Harley rider and rumbles around Thailand with his Hi-So club mates.

Definately the dude you gonna wanna hook-up with. He's got a club house in town,just look for the orange & black building (Harley colors).

Oh, another thing about that town,the traffic stops at 8am for the National Anthem!

Thanks HaleySabai! Will search for him once I am there! ????️

8am traffic stop is funny...
Different from BKK... here it's at a stand still most of the day ????

Archived