OA extension of stay. Huh?

Can someone who knows please clarify 'extension of stay based on retirement' please?

It has been my belief that it meant either changing my OA to an O, having the 800k/65k covered, and renewing each year, or starting with an O and renewing each year.

Reading the latest kerfuffle with insurance, I am not so sure my beliefs were correct.

Yes, I have searched TVF, but the search results bore no worthy fruit.

Can I extend my OA, without changing to O and doing the 800/65k? 

Thanks.

It would be helpful to know when you got your O-A visa. It is valid for 1 year but you get a year of permission to stay each time you enter Thailand during that first year. AFTER you have done that then you file a TM7 for a 1-year of extension of stay and it is then that you have to meet the financial requirements of money/income in a Thai bank. Of course you have to prepare beforehand to meet these requirements.

The 1-year extension of stay (TM7) is not a visa but it is often referred to as a renewed retirement visa. How you will be treated after Oct 31st with regard to the new insurance requirement - I don't know. If you have the time then I would sit back and see what happens.

5 hours ago, Martyp said:

It would be helpful to know when you got your O-A visa. It is valid for 1 year but you get a year of permission to stay each time you enter Thailand during that first year. AFTER you have done that then you file a TM7 for a 1-year of extension of stay and it is then that you have to meet the financial requirements of money/income in a Thai bank. Of course you have to prepare beforehand to meet these requirements.

The 1-year extension of stay (TM7) is not a visa but it is often referred to as a renewed retirement visa. How you will be treated after Oct 31st with regard to the new insurance requirement - I don't know. If you have the time then I would sit back and see what happens.

I had one (OA) before but entered on the current (new OA) on Dec 3 last year.

Havent been anywhere since. Will head off for a month or so on Dec 2.

Looking at doing a short trip, returning here before 31 Oct, which will give me, if I have it right, a stamp until 30 Oct 2020.

It seems I will need a reentry permit before departure on Dec 2, to come back in Jan / Feb.

Ah, so a TM7 to extend permission to stay, after Oct 30 2020, which I gather is effectively the same scenario as an O. 800k/65k, seasoned etc.

11 minutes ago, oznomad said:

Looking at doing a short trip, returning here before 31 Oct, which will give me, if I have it right, a stamp until 30 Oct 2020.

It seems I will need a reentry permit before departure on Dec 2, to come back in Jan / Feb.

Ah, so a TM7 to extend permission to stay, after Oct 30 2020, which I gather is effectively the same scenario as an O. 800k/65k, seasoned etc.

Yes

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, oznomad said:

It will be interesting to all of us if they ask you about insurance on your October 31st return.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Martyp said:

It will be interesting to all of us if they ask you about insurance on your October 31st return.

His O-A is already issued. He will reenter on reentry permit? Not on visa. Anyway time will tell. Personally cannot imagine your suggestion a scenario.

Time will tell.

Edit misread his dates. In any event I do not believe anyone with current O-A will be affected

Edited by DrJack54

55 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

His O-A is already issued. He will reenter on reentry permit? Not on visa. Anyway time will tell. Personally cannot imagine your suggestion a scenario.

Time will tell.

Edit misread his dates. In any event I do not believe anyone with current O-A will be affected

I don't believe that those on existing O-A's will be affected but there is a new conversation thread in other social media that believes that the police order applies to anyone who has ever had an O-A. At this point it is just a matter of waiting until November to hear the first reports from people getting O-As, traveling with O-As, and applying for extensions.

34 minutes ago, Martyp said:

I don't believe that those on existing O-A's will be affected but there is a new conversation thread in other social media that believes that the police order applies to anyone who has ever had an O-A. At this point it is just a matter of waiting until November to hear the first reports from people getting O-As, traveling with O-As, and applying for extensions.

I assume you're talking about the "Thai visa advice" Facebook page. And indeed, it looks like the mods there are of the opinion, rightly or wrongly, that the health insurance requirement will apply not only to previously issued O-As that come for entry to Thailand from Oct. 31 onward, but also to current retirement extensions of stay holders stemming from prior O-As.

I'm not sure I believe all that, especially the part pertaining to retirement extensions of stay. But it just goes to show the level of confusion and uncertainty that has been created by the EN language versions of the TH Immigration documents pertaining to all this.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I assume you're talking about the "Thai visa advice" Facebook page. And indeed, it looks like the mods there are of the opinion, rightly or wrongly, that the health insurance requirement will apply not only to previously issued O-As that come for entry to Thailand from Oct. 31 onward, but also to current retirement extensions of stay holders stemming from prior O-As.

I'm not sure I believe all that, especially the part pertaining to retirement extensions of stay. But it just goes to show the level of confusion and uncertainty that has been created by the EN language versions of the TH Immigration documents pertaining to all this.

That is exactly what is coming out of Chiang Mai now. 

Lets hope it stays O-A issued visas which generated permissions of stay ONLY. 

8 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Can you imagine the nightmare if Immigration at airport started checking for Insurance, it simply can't be done there. Only place to do it will be in the home country where OA is issued.

If is issued a new O-A, your passport will have a annotation from the Embassy or Consulate confirming you're covered.  IOs at the airport only need to check if the annotation is there or not.  If you have no annotation and it's required, they'll probably ask you to step aside and get it taken care of prior to entry...Next.

Edited by mosan
Clarity

1 minute ago, mosan said:

There will be no need for delays at the airports.  If you're issued a new O-A, your passport will have a annotation from the Embassy or Consulate confirming you're covered.  IOs at the airport only need to check if the annotation is there or not--and if not, ask you to step aside and get it taken care of...Next.

Optimistic but I hope you are correct. But doesn't the airport immigration officer have to check how much longer the insurance policy supplies cover. He is required to stamp a person in not for a year on an O-A, but for the duration of insurance cover. It could be 11 months later than when the Visa was issued!

Just now, jacko45k said:

Optimistic but I hope you are correct. But doesn't the airport immigration officer have to check how much longer the insurance policy supplies cover. He is required to stamp a person in not for a year on an O-A, but for the duration of insurance cover. It could be 11 months later than when the Visa was issued!

Personally, I don't think they'll be overly concerned with such details, just whether you have insurance on not.  But, I could be wrong--frequently am...

Edited by mosan
Clarity

19 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Can you imagine the nightmare if Immigration at airport started checking for Insurance, it simply can't be done there. Only place to do it will be in the home country where OA is issued.

I agree but the Embassy notation won't work for the second entry unless it showed 2 year cover which most policies will not give (in fact I don't know of any that will...policies are typically for a 1 year period). On second entry IOs will have the check proof of insurance to determine whether and how long a permission of stay to issue.

I agree the airports and border crossings are not good places to do that. Perhaps they will set up a separate table and divert O-A second entries over there. Which will be a hassle for them....but if not then whole lines will be held up while IO in kiosk sorts through insurance.

• Thanks 1

Just had 2 friends return from outside of Thailand. One flew in from Japan and the other flew in from USA. Both have lived in Thailand for many years on O-A visas based on retirement. None were asked about insurance when they went through immigration at the airport.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I agree but the Embassy notation won't work for the second entry unless it showed 2 year cover which most policies will not give (in fact I don't know of any that will...policies are typically for a 1 year period). On second entry IOs will have the check proof of insurance to determine whether and how long a permission of stay to issue.

I agree the airports and border crossings are not good places to do that. Perhaps they will set up a separate table and divert O-A second entries over there. Which will be a hassle for them....but if not then whole lines will be held up while IO in kiosk sorts through insurance.

I personally don't believe immigration at airport will be involved with this insurance issue. OA's before 31 Oct don't need Ins and OA's after 31 Oct do, I don't believe the visa on passport will reflect required Insurance. After 31 Oct you either qualify for OA visa or you don't, why would they bother to stamp visa with any Ins. entry?

Second year entries, again I don't think it will be checked. But, I'm a 1/2 full glass kinda of guy. What I do believe is, if this is implemented for OA's outside Thailand it won't be long before they start with extensions within Thailand.

Edited by EVENKEEL

Just had 2 friends return from outside of Thailand. One flew in from Japan and the other flew in from USA. Both have lived in Thailand for many years on O-A visas based on retirement. None were asked about insurance when they went through immigration at the airport.
Unclear post. First of all it isn't October 31 yet. Secondly it's not clear whether they entered with still valid OA visas or retirement extension reentry permits.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

22 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

The annotation with the visa could also include the end date of the insurance policy. It's the same with my multiple-entry permit that only goes to the end of my extension of stay.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I personally don't believe immigration at airport will be involved with this insurance issue. OA's before 31 Oct don't need Ins and OA's after 31 Oct do, I don't believe the visa on passport will reflect required Insurance. After 31 Oct you either qualify for OA visa or you don't, why would they bother to stamp visa with any Ins. entry?

Perhaps you best notify immigration not to bother checking anything and it was all a misunderstanding with issuing the police order

2 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Perhaps you best notify immigration not to bother checking anything and it was all a misunderstanding with issuing the police order

I'll continue playing outside till the sky falls.

15 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

..Second year entries, again I don't think it will be checked. But, I'm a 1/2 full glass kinda of guy. What I do believe is, if this is implemented for OA's outside Thailand it won't be long before they start with extensions within Thailand.

1. The Police order specifically requires IOs to check at the second entry. They will be in  violation if they do not.

2. No mention at all to date of extending this beyond O-A visas, and that move was under discussion for years before it happened.

14 minutes ago, Martyp said:

The annotation with the visa could also include the end date of the insurance policy. It's the same with my multiple-entry permit that only goes to the end of my extension of stay.

It will contain this. But that date will usually be much earlier than the date on which a second entry is made. Policies are issued for 1 year at a time. There will be no getting around the need to show proof of insurance at second entry IMO.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, oznomad said:

The O-A and O are both visas. An extension of stay is not a visa. If you have a valid O or an OA (an OA is a type of O visa) you can use it to enter Thailand and Immigrations will give you a permission to stay. If you have an unexpired permission to stay or an extension of that permission to stay you can stay in Thailand, but since it is not a visa, you need a re-entry permit if you want to leave Thailand and return while preserving your current extension of stay.

if you have a permission to stay that ends 30 Oct 2020, which is after your OA visa expires, you'll need a re-entry permit. And you should apply for an extension of stay before 30 Oct, which will require, among other things, 800k seasoned at least two months or acceptable proof of 65k a month .

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Rdrokit said:

Why would they be asked, its not Oct 31st yet. Your post is just one of the reasons why there is so much confusion. Dont bother posting if you dont understand it please.

• Like 2