BANGKOK
oznomad

OA extension of stay. Huh?

19 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Can you imagine the nightmare if Immigration at airport started checking for Insurance, it simply can't be done there. Only place to do it will be in the home country where OA is issued.

I agree but the Embassy notation won't work for the second entry unless it showed 2 year cover which most policies will not give (in fact I don't know of any that will...policies are typically for a 1 year period). On second entry IOs will have the check proof of insurance to determine whether and how long a permission of stay to issue.

I agree the airports and border crossings are not good places to do that. Perhaps they will set up a separate table and divert O-A second entries over there. Which will be a hassle for them....but if not then whole lines will be held up while IO in kiosk sorts through insurance.

• Thanks 1

Just had 2 friends return from outside of Thailand. One flew in from Japan and the other flew in from USA. Both have lived in Thailand for many years on O-A visas based on retirement. None were asked about insurance when they went through immigration at the airport.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I agree but the Embassy notation won't work for the second entry unless it showed 2 year cover which most policies will not give (in fact I don't know of any that will...policies are typically for a 1 year period). On second entry IOs will have the check proof of insurance to determine whether and how long a permission of stay to issue.

I agree the airports and border crossings are not good places to do that. Perhaps they will set up a separate table and divert O-A second entries over there. Which will be a hassle for them....but if not then whole lines will be held up while IO in kiosk sorts through insurance.

I personally don't believe immigration at airport will be involved with this insurance issue. OA's before 31 Oct don't need Ins and OA's after 31 Oct do, I don't believe the visa on passport will reflect required Insurance. After 31 Oct you either qualify for OA visa or you don't, why would they bother to stamp visa with any Ins. entry?

Second year entries, again I don't think it will be checked. But, I'm a 1/2 full glass kinda of guy. What I do believe is, if this is implemented for OA's outside Thailand it won't be long before they start with extensions within Thailand.

Edited by EVENKEEL

Just had 2 friends return from outside of Thailand. One flew in from Japan and the other flew in from USA. Both have lived in Thailand for many years on O-A visas based on retirement. None were asked about insurance when they went through immigration at the airport.
Unclear post. First of all it isn't October 31 yet. Secondly it's not clear whether they entered with still valid OA visas or retirement extension reentry permits.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

22 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Optimistic but I hope you are correct. But doesn't the airport immigration officer have to check how much longer the insurance policy supplies cover. He is required to stamp a person in not for a year on an O-A, but for the duration of insurance cover. It could be 11 months later than when the Visa was issued!

The annotation with the visa could also include the end date of the insurance policy. It's the same with my multiple-entry permit that only goes to the end of my extension of stay.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I personally don't believe immigration at airport will be involved with this insurance issue. OA's before 31 Oct don't need Ins and OA's after 31 Oct do, I don't believe the visa on passport will reflect required Insurance. After 31 Oct you either qualify for OA visa or you don't, why would they bother to stamp visa with any Ins. entry?

Perhaps you best notify immigration not to bother checking anything and it was all a misunderstanding with issuing the police order

2 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Perhaps you best notify immigration not to bother checking anything and it was all a misunderstanding with issuing the police order

I'll continue playing outside till the sky falls.

Just now, EVENKEEL said:

I'll continue playing outside till the sky falls.

Yes of course. I am sure you will be fine and stamped in for 12 months as per normal. Nobody is going to look at anything. You have just convinced me

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

..Second year entries, again I don't think it will be checked. But, I'm a 1/2 full glass kinda of guy. What I do believe is, if this is implemented for OA's outside Thailand it won't be long before they start with extensions within Thailand.

1. The Police order specifically requires IOs to check at the second entry. They will be in  violation if they do not.

2. No mention at all to date of extending this beyond O-A visas, and that move was under discussion for years before it happened.

14 minutes ago, Martyp said:

The annotation with the visa could also include the end date of the insurance policy. It's the same with my multiple-entry permit that only goes to the end of my extension of stay.

It will contain this. But that date will usually be much earlier than the date on which a second entry is made. Policies are issued for 1 year at a time. There will be no getting around the need to show proof of insurance at second entry IMO.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, oznomad said:

Looking at doing a short trip, returning here before 31 Oct, which will give me, if I have it right, a stamp until 30 Oct 2020.

It seems I will need a reentry permit before departure on Dec 2, to come back in Jan / Feb.

Ah, so a TM7 to extend permission to stay, after Oct 30 2020, which I gather is effectively the same scenario as an O. 800k/65k, seasoned etc.

The O-A and O are both visas. An extension of stay is not a visa. If you have a valid O or an OA (an OA is a type of O visa) you can use it to enter Thailand and Immigrations will give you a permission to stay. If you have an unexpired permission to stay or an extension of that permission to stay you can stay in Thailand, but since it is not a visa, you need a re-entry permit if you want to leave Thailand and return while preserving your current extension of stay.

if you have a permission to stay that ends 30 Oct 2020, which is after your OA visa expires, you'll need a re-entry permit. And you should apply for an extension of stay before 30 Oct, which will require, among other things, 800k seasoned at least two months or acceptable proof of 65k a month .

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Rdrokit said:

Why would they be asked, its not Oct 31st yet. Your post is just one of the reasons why there is so much confusion. Dont bother posting if you dont understand it please.

• Like 2