Boy, 13, shot dead by police after father U-turns at northern Thai checkpoint

webfact

Just now, newnative said:

Terrible police training.  You don't shoot at a car just because it makes a u-turn and does not stop.  Disgusting.

From reading the report, it looks like the shot car had crashed and was stationary .

Could be deliberate murder 

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

sad for the boy. but how does a shot fired at a back tire (low target) end up going through the back of the cab (high target). Vert bad shooting, or shooter is lying. 

Have you ever fired a handgun from a moving vehicle in a car chase?  Me neither.  Seen it on the TV a few times though, wonder if that's were Sombatsky and Twatch got the idea..... 

8 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

The Thai police show their incompetence day after day.  Unfortunately on this day, their poor training and incompetence led to the death of a young boy.  

I don’t want to deny you the ability to criticize the Thai police but an alternative view is that the father of the boy was committing a crime and had his son  in attendance whist doing so.

He then avoided a Police checkpoint and than rather than face the consequences he fled I presume committing another crime.

If he had been responsible in relation to the above the boy would still be alive.

In the US there have been numerous examples of unarmed persons particularly black people being shot by police.

It has happened in Australia as well persons being shot by Police.

In the  UK there are daily pursuits by Police of stolen vehicles and other criminals during which members of the public are put at risk, as dangerous as being shot I would suggest.

So are all of the above incompetent and lacking in training ?

I would suggest that you open your eyes and instead of being an armchair critic from the comfort of your home see what happens in the real and often dangerous world.

1 minute ago, StevieAus said:

I don’t want to deny you the ability to criticize the Thai police but an alternative view is that the father of the boy was committing a crime and had his son  in attendance whist doing so.

He then avoided a Police checkpoint and than rather than face the consequences he fled I presume committing another crime.

If he had been responsible in relation to the above the boy would still be alive.

In the US there have been numerous examples of unarmed persons particularly black people being shot by police.

It has happened in Australia as well persons being shot by Police.

In the  UK there are daily pursuits by Police of stolen vehicles and other criminals during which members of the public are put at risk, as dangerous as being shot I would suggest.

So are all of the above incompetent and lacking in training ?

I would suggest that you open your eyes and instead of being an armchair critic from the comfort of your home see what happens in the real and often dangerous world.

Lets stick to this case, rather than making comparisons to other cases and other Countries .

Yes, IF the driver hadnt fled the scene, the kid would still be alive , BUT, also, IF the Police didnt shoot the kid, he would still be alive .,

The Police shouldnt have the authority to kill people for the crime of turning their car around 

1 minute ago, StevieAus said:

Logic from any nationality unless of course you are Thai basher

Not Thai bashing, but Thais quite often say that nothing is ever their fault, because if the other person hadnt been there, it wouldnt have happened  

When setting up a police checkpoint, looking for drugs and/or other illegal goods, I think it would be reasonable for those organising the operation to consider the possibility of a U-turn or crash through, and plan accordingly.

Seems the only plan was to chase and shoot the tyres out - a very poor plan.

As with most tragedies, there are many factors to blame. <deleted> poor planning is just one.

4 hours ago, snowgard said:

Sorry for the boy!!! But it was clearly his fathers fault!

But when I read what all the Thai basher wrote again, i can only shake my head!!! In your countries was never been something like this, or? No police chases and shots?

Google shows something different!!! https://www.google.com/search?q=shot+after+chase+from+the+police

And if you add your homecountry you will be surprised that the super trained, first world police done exactly the same!!! Shame on you Thai Bashers!!!

thank you … 

and to all the silly TVF experts how would this have panned out in the US or other places, they would both be dead …..   

The guys transporting illegal goods.

The guy avoids a checkpoint deliberately.

The police give chase.

The police shoot at the tyre because the guy won't stop.

The car windows are tinted so no one can see if there is a passenger or not in the car.

The boy is accidently hit possibly by a ricochet bullet. 

enough said your honour.   And to all the RTP tv thai bashers... get a life, enough said.

RIP...

the people in charge really need to show the police - and I mean every single police officer - who's boss.

too many police officers are behaving badly - the government needs to demonstrate what is unacceptable by throwing the book at officers who are:

- shooting at anyone that don't pose a threat

- pressuring innocent people into paying bribes

- accepting bribes to put innocent people at a disadvantage in any police matter

6 minutes ago, steven100 said:

thank you … 

and to all the silly TVF experts how would this have panned out in the US or other places, they would both be dead …..   

The police give chase.

The car windows are tinted so no one can see if there is a passenger or not in the car.

enough said your honour.   And to all the RTP tv thai bashers... get a life, enough said.

Not correct .

The car had already stopped after it had crashed and the car windows dont looked tinted and did you make the "bullet ricocheting" bit up ?

I see noi mention in the report of the bullet ricocheting .

Its not us who are "Thai bashing", more like its you who feel that no Thai can ever do anything wrong  

The sooner we see less guns in the hands of macho thugs who shoot first and ask questions later the better. I hope these two kid killers get life without payroll. Their pathetic excuse about thinking they were chasing a drug dealer just highlights how the insane drug laws corrupt all aspects of law enforcement,  the community and society at large. The anti drug laws destroy more lives than drugs.  In this case excusing child murder which is the worse,   the ultimate form of child abuse.

7 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

The sooner we see less guns in the hands of macho thugs who shoot first and ask questions later the better. I hope these two kid killers get life without payroll. Their pathetic excuse about thinking they were chasing a drug dealer just highlights how the insane drug laws corrupt all aspects of law enforcement,  the community and society at large. The anti drug laws destroy more lives than drugs.  In this case excusing child murder which is the worse,   the ultimate form of child abuse.

A Child has died. I do think that its rather inappropriate to use this story to call for the  legalisation of drugs 

39 minutes ago, steven100 said:

thank you … 

The police give chase.

Child murder is child murder even when the reckless execution is carried out by bored macho cops notorious for their corruption and poor police practices. Its nothing to do with Thailand as the same thing happens in other countries: The USA and the Philippines come to mind and of course china. This kind of murder is just extra judicial killing and is usually carried out against the poor, the weak and the powerless not the wealthy power elites. The military round of ammunition which killed the child could have richoched into any innocent civilian or the car crash could have resulted in serious injury...and for what...a few cases of hooch which the government were not getting their taxes on.

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

A Child has died. I do think that its rather inappropriate to use this story to call for the  legalisation of drugs 

Nobody did Mr Sanctimony. It was the murderers who bought up the issue therefore inviting a response. When people make pitiful excuses for the tragedy they have created it appropriate to criticize it.

You need to be careful who you are travelling with in a car. Once I was with a friend that I don't really know that well.

We were supposed to go for tea and he said he needed to delivery some documents to someone first. So we went.

Later at tea time he told me he deal with false passport, he delivered the false passport earlier. (this incidence was before the passport had the computer chip so it was easy to forge).

If the police were to catch him I would be in lot of trouble explaining why I was with him in the car at that time. I would be made to look completely stupid by the Thai police who are very good at doing this. I said this because I had some rather unpleasant experience with them in the past.

59 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Not correct .

The car had already stopped after it had crashed and the car windows dont looked tinted and did you make the "bullet ricocheting" bit up ?

Its not us who are "Thai bashing", more like its you who feel that no Thai can ever do anything wrong  

I believe this is an unfortunate accident,  as mentioned the guy avoided a checkpoint deliberately, so what are the police suppose to do ….  just wave goodbye . Secondly, one would hope to think that logically the policemen fired and the bullet accidently hit the boy ….   or are you insinuating foul play by the officer ?

6 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I believe this is an unfortunate accident,  as mentioned the guy avoided a checkpoint deliberately, so what are the police suppose to do ….  just wave goodbye . Secondly, one would hope to think that logically the policemen fired and the bullet accidently hit the boy ….   or are you insinuating foul play by the officer ?

The car had already crashed and stopped before any shots were fired .

I am not insinuating anything , but its beyond beyond the realms of possibility that it may have been deliberate 

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

Not correct .

'A chase ensued and after the pick-up hit a plough near an intersection' the cops engaged it.

At what point in the article does it say the vehicle had come to a halt? it may have attempted to drive off following the collision with the plough and had not in fact come to a halt. The cops deemed it enough of a threat to them or others that they chose to engage it. I wonder if you have ever been in the situation where lives are potentially in jeopardy requiring split second decisions? 

Have another look at the vehicle as well- the windows are clearly tinted (well they are black, not clear), and vision into the interior would have been restricted, the time of day affects how much light would have illuminated the interior as well.

The blame clearly rests with the father for putting his son in this situation in the first place. If he had stopped at the check point and been busted he would have received an inconsequential fine. Now he has to bury a son. He is the one who did wrong.

The guy is not an apologist- merely adding comment.  

3 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

The blame clearly rests with the father for putting his son in this situation in the first place. If he had stopped at the check point and been busted he would have received an inconsequential fine. Now he has to bury a son. He is the one who did wrong.

No one is or has disputed that .

Yes, the Father should have stopped at the check-point .,

I just feel that the Policeman should not have shot the boy in the head.

If you think that shooting the boy in the head was the correct thing to do, we shall just have to disagree

Archived