BANGKOK
webfact

Boy, 13, shot dead by police after father U-turns at northern Thai checkpoint

Just now, newnative said:

Terrible police training.  You don't shoot at a car just because it makes a u-turn and does not stop.  Disgusting.

From reading the report, it looks like the shot car had crashed and was stationary .

Could be deliberate murder 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, steven100 said:

well I can agree, however how can anyone see if there is a passenger in the car with those tinted windows.

and did the bullet ricochet ??

What tinted windows?

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

No, the father should not have:

• Driven with the kid while having illegal things in the car
  • Stopped when the police told him so

So you are saying lethal force was justified ?   If so, why? 

Edited by yellowboat

9 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

sad for the boy. but how does a shot fired at a back tire (low target) end up going through the back of the cab (high target). Vert bad shooting, or shooter is lying. 

Have you ever fired a handgun from a moving vehicle in a car chase?  Me neither.  Seen it on the TV a few times though, wonder if that's were Sombatsky and Twatch got the idea..... 

8 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

The Thai police show their incompetence day after day.  Unfortunately on this day, their poor training and incompetence led to the death of a young boy.  

I don’t want to deny you the ability to criticize the Thai police but an alternative view is that the father of the boy was committing a crime and had his son  in attendance whist doing so.

He then avoided a Police checkpoint and than rather than face the consequences he fled I presume committing another crime.

If he had been responsible in relation to the above the boy would still be alive.

In the US there have been numerous examples of unarmed persons particularly black people being shot by police.

It has happened in Australia as well persons being shot by Police.

In the  UK there are daily pursuits by Police of stolen vehicles and other criminals during which members of the public are put at risk, as dangerous as being shot I would suggest.

So are all of the above incompetent and lacking in training ?

I would suggest that you open your eyes and instead of being an armchair critic from the comfort of your home see what happens in the real and often dangerous world.

• Like 1

It must be acknowledged, a very efficient police!
R.I.P. Poor kid!
I hope the gunslinger will pay a lot for his gesture, at least he will be eliminated forever by the police!

18 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Thai logic : If the kid hadnt had been there, the cop wouldnt have killed him 

Logic from any nationality unless of course you are Thai basher

1 minute ago, StevieAus said:

I don’t want to deny you the ability to criticize the Thai police but an alternative view is that the father of the boy was committing a crime and had his son  in attendance whist doing so.

He then avoided a Police checkpoint and than rather than face the consequences he fled I presume committing another crime.

If he had been responsible in relation to the above the boy would still be alive.

In the US there have been numerous examples of unarmed persons particularly black people being shot by police.

It has happened in Australia as well persons being shot by Police.

In the  UK there are daily pursuits by Police of stolen vehicles and other criminals during which members of the public are put at risk, as dangerous as being shot I would suggest.

So are all of the above incompetent and lacking in training ?

I would suggest that you open your eyes and instead of being an armchair critic from the comfort of your home see what happens in the real and often dangerous world.

Lets stick to this case, rather than making comparisons to other cases and other Countries .

Yes, IF the driver hadnt fled the scene, the kid would still be alive , BUT, also, IF the Police didnt shoot the kid, he would still be alive .,

The Police shouldnt have the authority to kill people for the crime of turning their car around 

1 minute ago, StevieAus said:

Logic from any nationality unless of course you are Thai basher

Not Thai bashing, but Thais quite often say that nothing is ever their fault, because if the other person hadnt been there, it wouldnt have happened  

RIP in young man. You can't expect much from police that don't even come close to being able to do real police work, checking licenses, lollypop boys at school crossing, security guards at banks is about their limit of expertise. 😔

When setting up a police checkpoint, looking for drugs and/or other illegal goods, I think it would be reasonable for those organising the operation to consider the possibility of a U-turn or crash through, and plan accordingly.

Seems the only plan was to chase and shoot the tyres out - a very poor plan.

As with most tragedies, there are many factors to blame. <deleted> poor planning is just one.

R.I.P. young man. may you journey be good...

Are the Thai Police trained in Disneyland  ?

RIP to the poor lad.

Edited by observer90210

10 hours ago, Creasy said:

And the police can live with the guilt of shooting an unarmed civilian 

In the back, too.

3 hours ago, revup said:

<deleted> the father was not shooting at shadows

what do you mean ?  the father was not shooting at shadows  ?

the father was not shooting …. did you read the article   ?